TR: montana epic

rode the crest this weekend in the first snow since spring. the pictures pretty well tell the story. it was hard. my altimeter said 8000' of climbing the first day, 4000' the second. most of that above 9k. we had the windy pass cabin for a night and had friends horse-pack our gear in. took us 10hrs to get there. the singletrack was the bomb. super-techy the whole way with lots of short sweet fast downhills. the second day was sunny and calm. we took a side trip further down the crest then blasted our way to the river.

man that looks like a lot of fun

Looks amazing, I can't wait to get back! Thanks for the stoke.

Did you exit the crest by way of Porcupine? That would make a fun ending to such an epic. Still haven't worked up the desire to do the crest, but you make it sound mildly rewarding. Were there signifigant parts that the bike was a liability rather than an asset?
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

yeah, we dropped down trail 66 at the end to porcupine. the whole thing was sweet but those last few climbs were tough. gives a fresh perspective on
    'normal' rides. I was glad to be on a 30 pound bike that I could carry. I'd do it again for sure.

I was glad to be on a 30 pound bike that I could carry.
    Cool, that's all I needed to know. Do you feel the same about the normal stretch between Hyalite and Windy Pass?
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Nice!!! Thanks for the visual re-confirmation that this is a worthy objective; hope it stays open to bikes. Great pics, thanks for sharing the stoke.
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

that's what I was referring too - the stretch between hyalite and windy pass. its mostly the distance/time that made it so hard. it was nice to carry the bike sometimes because the trail is so narrow. from windy pass to porcupine is relatively mellow with only one steep climb, although if you were doing it all in one day it wouldn't feel mellow. I attached another pic that sums up how we felt towards the end of the first day.

damn thats a lot of climbing on the first day, looks like a sick trip!

nice work

I friend and I were out there above Bark Cabin Creek until 2. Looking through the clouds for you guys to show up. Finally time forced us to get going back. We figured you were having an adventure, Gallatin Crest style.

We met the supply train at Windy Pass around 3:15 or so. Nice folks and dogs.

g, yeah we saw your tracks and were pretty sure we weren't hallucinating. sorry you couldn't join us for the whole thing - guess aaron was trying hard to keep it a small group given the logistics. wish i could make it to lima this weekend but i'm moving to missoula next week and having a keg party friday night, so it ain't happening. -a