Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Yea Rips, I didn't mean to imply that there weren't a shit ton of sharks there.

It's unnerving as hell to have those little finger mullet jump over the front of your board when the sharks are chasing them.

The trade off is that NSB is considered by many to be the most consistent beach break on the east coast.

It's always funny to see peoples reaction when the beach patrol just bandages people up and send them on their way after a shark "nipped" them. no muss, no fuss, the way it should be.

Chest to 2 ft overhead in NH @ 6:00pm. Swells seems to be settling in, the tide mark this morning at my favorite sandbar was extremely high, I can't imagine what some of the homes will look like after tmro afternoons high tide. Today was the most packed I've ever seen it, surfed a popular point break on a hill that had 32 guys out, 1 peak. Tmro the ocean will regulate the crowds.
    Oh yea, Wardo was in town today, I can't imagine the stoke factor is very high, but hell I'll watch him destroy my home break alllll day.

At Watch Hill, RI today, 6-12 foot swells 15+ expected tomorrow. Get out there!!!

Montauk was firing yesterday.

TGR sticker sighting on a truck in the town of also.

Pics to come.

Today isn't going to be as big as yesterday afternoon.

Edit:
    Random pics off of facebook I took:

Too lazy (and working) to upload to photobucket atm. Maybe later.

Old dude making the kids look bad.

Sadly a knife fight did not ensue. (But there were plenty of broken boards, you see MTK is a fucking boulderfield.)

This turn did not end how the surfer in the picture quite envisioned it.

This turn did.

Have I mentioned that MTK is a boulderfield? Just figured I'd remind you.

These are MTK boulders. They are not friendly.

Wide angles suck.

Nobody caught this wave. Jesus was sad.

Wave says "fuck ya'll"
    Last edited by likwid; 08-23-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

my buddy just left for nh, i wish i surfed right now.
    we were looking at magicseaweed and it was saying 20-25
    foot at 14 seconds for nova scotia or something absurd like that
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    my buddy just left for nh, i wish i surfed right now.
    we were looking at magicseaweed and it was saying 20-25
    foot at 14 seconds for nova scotia or something absurd like that
    magicseaweed is smoking magic seaweed.

http://magicseaweed.com/Nova-Scotia-Surf-Forecast/26/
    showing 21 feet at 13 seconds for a couple spots as of 6pm.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Yeah MSW tends to have a some exaggerated numbers, BUT I surfed this morning and this evening, and around 2:15pm a few LARGE sets came in that easily could have been in the 15-18 ft face range. I have pics to prove it just waiting for my buddy to post em up. Few guys getting absolutely pitted out of their mind @ a popular spot just north of Hampton Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    http://magicseaweed.com/Nova-Scotia-Surf-Forecast/26/
    showing 21 feet at 13 seconds for a couple spots as of 6pm.
    Magic Seaweed. I have said it many times before...

A true 21'@13s swell would show at around 25-35' faces. I imagine that is the average period and a cumulative height. Most NOAA buoys show in this manner. You could have several swells, at different periods, adding up to 21', but not have much more that 5-8' in the long periods. An 8'@14s pure breaks at about 12' on the face - depending on bottom contours.

The best, most accurate readings come from spectral readings.

A spectral reading of 2.3'@16s and 2.8@11s today was showing at about head high in SC.

Yesterday afternoon's readings on the LI buoy spectral was impressive with a 4.3@16.66 (1.3@20/4.2@14/3.9@13). Those readings would suggest about DOH or more on the best sets.

Reading buoy data. It is like a science. Or an art.

Wells Beach was about 10' faces to DOH+ today. And epic. From a reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by rdennhs View Post
    Few guys getting absolutely pitted out of their mind @ a popular spot just north of Hampton Beach.
    Rye?

How was the point just south of there?

Naw, literally almost on Hampton Beach, but I will get shot if I say anything else. and the rocks was a shitshow like usual atleast 45 guys out some not even sitting anywhere near where it would break. Today was epic, and wells was most likely epic too. I saw waves today I didn't know spots would be able to handle. The local stoke factor was sick, just too much traffic and yahoos checking the ocean out because the weather channel microwaved this fucking storm. Never seen so many people down there and I don't think I've ever seen it this big and this clean. 23 years.

Ottime, in you're honest opinion what do you think conditions will look like in the am? I surfed tonight and it was definately dying, but some of the beach breaks still looked well overhead. I felt like it was just the tide backing out which made it look a bunch smaller. I realize the storm is up past Nova but should I wake up early tmro? MSW, Swellinfo and some of the other sites are showing knee to thigh.

^^^ Perhaps too late of a reply, but - I'd expect still solid at first light. Solid for NE - head high plus. A quick fade from chest to knee through the day. Then perhaps residuals good for the longboard on Tues.

I remember Bob going from 30' (really) at sunset to head high+ at dawn to waist high by sunset. BTW, Bob ran ashore in NE, so distance from shore was 0.

Bill was real close to the coast - so once it moves by, there is not much swell on the way. One of the advantages of having the storm further out and moving slower is a longer lasting swell.

Hopefully you checked it at dawn.

Mmmmm. Is the secret spot a procurer of deli meats? I bet there were spots out there lighting up.

The great thing about the reefs in NE, is they only get proper swell every once in a long while. Put those spots, tides, wind, swell direction in a journal and you will know where to go when the conditions align again in 6 weeks or years.

There is a slab called Firehouse near Wells. Breaks epic every two years or so. Funny thing is - I know exactly what the conditions need to be even though I have not lived there in 13 years. And I bet no one rides it - still - even though it is in plain view from the road.

North of Casco Bay was large yesterday. We sampled four beaches near the mouth of the Kennebec, all but one of which was "closed", and two of which were posted against surfing. For whatever reason, the largest of the waves were at a certain beach which is almost always the smallest break out of the four -- must be some deeper structure down there that is not usually able to interact with typical waves.

I did shoot a few pictures, which I'll try to upload tomorrow. Back in the water in 120 minutes.

ok guys, and hey Ottime, not bad at all...deli meats for sure...all the way out at the end...check the cinnamon rainbows site pics. I don't want to post the guy's blog or his name but it's right on the main page. Give me your honest opinion on those at the point, atleast double overhead. I surfed this morning and it was great, still head high....and an evening surf that was probably the best session of my life.
    Yeti- check out this vid.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXVvFkh54Ic"]YouTube - Hurricane Bill-Schoodic Point, Maine (2)[/ame]

There are a lot of photos of this swell, a ton from a point in NH, this place was going off, and I have a ton more photos a friend took that I'll post tmro.

Cinnamonrainbows.com and go to ralph's pic of the week.

Ruggles Sunday Morning.

apparently ian walsh was out @ ruggs, vid of that too

Someone said Bruce Irons was too... Have no idea of the validity of it, but It came from someone who isn't a complete kook.

Quote Originally Posted by rdennhs View Post
    apparently ian walsh was out @ ruggs, vid of that too
    And people said the strapped crew was out at MV during the last monster swell.

I'm not quite following, but if you're skeptical

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11NCnYSjBW4"]YouTube - Ian Walsh Surfing Newport, Rhode Island - Hurricane Bill in HD[/ame]

and although i'm not gonna post the proof, Wardo was in NH sat/sun...it's on the site i mentioned, and it's mis-printed as his name but he's on a lost with fire lost writing.
    Last edited by rdennhs; 08-24-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by likwid View Post
    And people said the strapped crew was out at MV during the last monster swell.
    I have no beta on this, but I know for a fact that Syco Mike has made a few off shore attempts in Maine during monster swells. That shit does sometimes happen in NE.

Solid looking swell. Not quite as big as I expected based on the buoys, but then again NH must have had some shadow effect.

Was Ruggles bigger on Saturday?

rd: my bad. there's always rumors that fly around. thanks for the video.

Ott: there's a couple spots that aren't easily accessible that have "potential", one fired a couple years back. Locals were present. We just need REALLY REALLY REALLY big groundswell to make them go off, and usually its cold by then.

The "No Surfing" sign at MTK needs to be stickered. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Was Ruggles bigger on Saturday?
    Much bigger Sunday. thats just the only picture that came out on my 4 year old point & shoot camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakwater View Post
    Much bigger Sunday. thats just the only picture that came out on my 4 year old point & shoot camera.
    NEsurf has some pics.

You got another Monster Surf weekend coming up.
    Tropical development will move NE fri-sunday.
    Depending on track it's either a NC slam and inland rain monster or it will hug the coast and throw up huge surf again. IMO it's a coast hugger so watch the waves again.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    You got another Monster Surf weekend coming up.
    Tropical development will move NE fri-sunday.
    Depending on track it's either a NC slam and inland rain monster or it will hug the coast and throw up huge surf again. IMO it's a coast hugger so watch the waves again.

hutz, nice to see you in the surf forum. are you talkin about 92l?

Oh, and I think it was Andy Irons, and he was in Jersey....on surfline....haha ok done.