Page 232 of 237 FirstFirst ... 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 5919
    I was in there yesterday again, we chatted about Vermont and the Nightshift brewery sticker on your computer. Thanks again.
    The Tmavé Pivo was great and looking forward to trying the phone it in tonight.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Please do. I’m behind the bar 90% of the time so please mention you saw us on here.

[spam]

For anyone that cares. We opened in September. Partner has been a professional brewer for 9+ years, most of that time at Utah’s largest brewery. I’ve been in the ski biz for 20+ years and an avid homebrewer for 5+. Small tap room, 9 taps, cans to go, not on Main Street but still in town. Blend of modern hoppy beers and traditional German styles. Presently have 4 hop forward beers from traditional to modern as well as a Kolsch, Altbier, Tmavé Pivo, and Pale Lager. Got a sweet connection for some of the best hand selected hops in the world from a world class hoppy brewery who’s owner happens to be a ski bum. Way better hops than we could ever get our hands on for a brewery our size. All the modern cool kid stuff plus some new ones you’ve probably never heard of. Canning one tomorrow with HBC 586, Citra, and Nectaron.

@offsetbier on the gram

Offsetbier.com on the Google box.

[/spam]

If anyone’s in town please swing by and say what’s up. I think we’re doing a pretty decent job for only being open for 3 months. We might be small but we invested in all the important shit to have total control over the brewing process.
    Next time I'm in town I'll make sure to stop by!

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Way better hops than we could ever get our hands on for a brewery our size. All the modern cool kid stuff plus some new ones you’ve probably never heard of. Canning one tomorrow with HBC 586, Citra, and Nectaron.
    That's fantastic. Just speaking with a friend who opened up their nano brewery within their craft brew bar. He has years of experience brewing, but now struggles a bit with not being big enough to procure the 'right' hops. They have room to add on, but with supply, labor, and just the covid shitshow, it will be a while before brewery expansion.

Good luck moving forward! I might be out there in the spring and will certainly swing in for beer!

Pretty good one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211225_025531201.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	992.1 KB 
ID:	398069

Mom smuggled some four quarters Sun dog and phase to Utah. If here being here for Christmas wasn’t enough, this out it over the top

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    He has years of experience brewing, but now struggles a bit with not being big enough to procure the 'right' hops.
    Getting hops, even "The Right Hops" whatever that means, isn't that difficult, especially in nano amounts. Tell him to check out Lupulin Exchange if he hasn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Had a Celebration on tap last night just for nostalgic purposes. It's a solid beer, but compared to what's out and about now I won't be ordering another one until next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I guess I'm old school. I've had some good hazy IPAs, but my preference is still solidly West Coast IPAs. Hazies tend to taste more like juice and less like beer to me.
    Well...Yankee swap score
    And enjoyed one of these even though it was relatively old

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Getting hops, even "The Right Hops" whatever that means, isn't that difficult, especially in nano amounts. Tell him to check out Lupulin Exchange if he hasn't already.
    Yeah, I don't know enough to comment. He has brewed for good size great breweries in N.E. and knows the nuances of the business. From what I know bigger ops get multiple samples to choose from and true brewers go by samples just not specific hop name. Again, I don't know shit, nor do I honestly care. I just drink the stuff...man

“Trick” from treehouse. Smooth and delicious as usual.

Name:	Image1641003466.500153.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	399111

A duel... Both are good, but if I drink the West and then the East, the East tastes funny. Drink East then West, all good. So I guess I like the West Coast IPA better.

Name:	mikkeller.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	401455

West is best

Hazy IPAs and Pale Ales suck.
    I can't wait for this trend to end. You're just drinking yeast turds and allowing brewers to skip the last step in the brewing process.... filtration. Plus hazys will go bad more quickly.

That's all I came here to say.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I can't wait for this trend to end. You're just drinking yeast turds and allowing brewers to skip the last step in the brewing process.... filtration. Plus hazys will go bad more quickly.

There are a lot of uninformed but opinionated beer drinkers out there who don’t know what they are talking about.

I’m not the biggest fan of hazy ipas either but they are not the result of lazy brewers skipping steps. The haze is protein, tannins, and polyphenols that bond and form the haze. Yeast is a relatively small part of the haze equation.

Best thing about beer these days is the fact that if you don’t like something, you ain’t gotta drink it. Chances are there are ten other kinds of beer within your reach.

some damn good IPA's out there

^^ haha, hazy’s/pales are like people, some are good, some are bad.

As for pales, not always do I want a 7-9% IPA (in fact rarely do I ever). Most times I want to enjoy 2 beers without getting sloshed and a pale affords that luxury.

Lightweight

^ mos def, I’ll own that!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    ^^ haha, hazy’s/pales are like people, some are good, some are bad.

As for pales, not always do I want a 7-9% IPA (in fact rarely do I ever). Most times I want to enjoy 2 beers without getting sloshed and a pale affords that luxury.

I like pale ales. I was referring to hazy pale ales

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I’m not the biggest fan of hazy ipas either but they are not the result of lazy brewers skipping steps. The haze is protein, tannins, and polyphenols that bond and form the haze. Yeast is a relatively small part of the haze equation.
    Hazy beers are hazy because they don't filter the beer at the end. Literally skipping a step of the brewing process. Lol

I'm glad someone else feels this way.

Hazy beers are hazy because they don't filter the beer at the end. Literally skipping a step of the brewing process. Lol
    There are a lot of beers that are unfiltered. If you don’t filter most beer, it will still clarify over time because the yeast will eventually drop out on its own and there aren’t any other proteins or other things in the beer that will stay in suspension. In fact, many small breweries do not filter their beer. It is an unnecessary step that can contribute to oxidization and strip flavor from the beer.

Hazy beers are hazy, and usually stay hazy for a long time because of the way they were brewed, not because of not filtering. Things like water profile, dry hopping during fermentation which leads to biotransformation, wheat and oats that are high in protein, for those hop polyphenols to bond with. Etc. the haze by design. It lends to a softer mouthfeel.

I even know some breweries that put their hazy beers through a centrifuge to remove particulates before canning.

Your opinion is shared by many old dumbfuck beer snobs and home brewers who don’t know what the fuck they are talking about. They also act like brewing a lager is really difficult. Both are common misconceptions that people spout off to make it look like they know shit about beer.

Tell the Germans to stop skipping a step on their Hefeweizens.
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 01-17-2022 at 03:16 PM.

There are a lot of beers that are unfiltered. If you don’t filter most beer, it will still clarify over time because the yeast will eventually drop out on its own and there aren’t any other proteins or other things in the beer that will stay in suspension. In fact, many small breweries do not filter their beer. It is an unnecessary step that can contribute to oxidization and strip flavor from the beer.

Tell the Germans to stop skipping a step on their Hefeweizens.
    So they're skipping the filtration step, right?! Hence "unfiltered." Name a hazy IPA that is filtered.....

And by drop out you mean, fall to the bottom of the bottle and adversely affect the taste over time? Cause that's what happens with unfiltered beer, they go bad a lot faster than filtered beers.

I also think hefeweizens are gross and Americans make better beer than Germans. But enjoy your blue moon with a orange slice, Francis....

Best thing about beer these days is the fact that if you don’t like something, you ain’t gotta drink it. Chances are there are ten other kinds of beer within your reach.
    So I'm entitled to my own opinion and my opinion is that hazy IPAs are gross. Is that okay with you?

The fact is there's a lot more hazy IPAs being offered these days and I personally don't like the trend.

some damn good IPA's out there

I think onions are gross but I don’t give a shit that other people like them. Drink what you enjoy. Let others do the same. I do think the haze craze is a bit much and lots of shitty breweries flocking and doing it poorly. That does not mean it can’t be done well. Agree w redacted mouthfeel comment above which can result when done well but I like a really soft clean mouthfeel whereas others like a lot more body and bite. Different strokes.

Blue moon is not a German beer. I think it’s fucking gross but don’t care that others drink it if it even still exists. I encourage anyone curious about beer to not discredit Germany. US making great beers these days but standing on the shoulders of giants kinda thing. Belgium quickly comes to mind (despite this being an IPA thread - more generally speaking. US the IPA king).
    Last edited by Doremite; 01-17-2022 at 08:53 PM.
    Uno mas

So they're skipping the filtration step, right?! Hence "unfiltered." Name a hazy IPA that is filtered.....

And by drop out you mean, fall to the bottom of the bottle and adversely affect the taste over time? Cause that's what happens with unfiltered beer, they go bad a lot faster than filtered beers.

I also think hefeweizens are gross and Americans make better beer than Germans. But enjoy your blue moon with a orange slice, Francis....

So I'm entitled to my own opinion and my opinion is that hazy IPAs are gross. Is that okay with you?

The fact is there's a lot more hazy IPAs being offered these days and I personally don't like the trend.
    Nobody is forcing that hazy IPA down your throat. I'm not even trying to convince you to like them. But your reasoning for not liking them is completely misinformed.

You do realize the contradiction in this statement right?

Nobody is forcing that hazy IPA down your throat. I'm not even trying to convince you to like them. But your reasoning for not liking them is completely misinformed.

You do realize the contradiction in this statement right?
    My reasoning for not liking them is based on that most taste gross. I do think the haze craze points to a particular laziness on the side of American brewers and beer drinkers. I guess moreso on the side of beer drinkers after you "informed" me about hazys.

I worked at a brewery that rebranded an ESB to an IPA. Why? Because IPAS sell and Americans don't know the difference between the two. And now everyone is making hazys, why? Because they're selling. Or if you live in Utah it's a way to increase the beers bitterness without increasing the alcohol content (so you can sell more in this state).

And I hope you realize I'm mainly trolling, particularly with the blue moon comment, but thanks for the bite. I love a nice filtered German or Czech pilsner, but Americans do seem to own the IPA game that reigns supreme in the beer industry currently

Yeah I get it, trolling like Bunny. Obstinate trolling, all the rage.
    Yeah, lots of breweries rebrand ESBs as ambers. I love a good ESB, but most people hear the word bitter and run away (the beer is far less bitter than an IPA). They don't understand the style or the concept, kinda like how some folks don't understand the concept of a hazy IPA and lob insults because they are so popular and they don't understand the concept of the beer.

Here's the thing with Hazy IPAs, they aren't easy or cheap to brew. Here's why:
    ]They use oats and wheat which can be a PITA to brew with because they are huskless, and turn to mush in the mash, and the grain bill is usually higher than other beers too. Many times you are adding rice hulls to help with runoff. Any hops added in the boil or whirlpool soak up your wort, and reduce hot side yield. NEIPAs usually require a liquid yeast pitch that cannot be reused multiple times because of dry hopping during fermentation (there can be ways around this but it isn't easy). Dry hopping can be a PITA, especially during fermentation, where you are adding a nucleation point for any CO2 that is in the beer, so it can explode and make a huge mess. Oh, and those hops usually cost ~$15 per lb or more, and you are using ~4 lbs per barrel, so you are usually using thousands of dollars in hops. Then a lot of that beer gets soaked into the dry hop trub, which lowers the yield of the batch. These are all things that are not common in brewing your standard beer like a pils, red, stout, kolsch, etc. And no, they aren't filtered, but that isn't laziness, it is because you don't throw all those expensive ingredients into a beer to then just filter them out.

And yeah, these beers are meant to be drank fresh. Oxygen will spoil them quickly. So poor packaging will cause these beers to go bad. However, if kept cold and away from oxygen, they will stay pretty good for 60-90 days, which is plenty of time for the typical educated consumer to acquire and consume. If they go bad, it is generally because of oxygen, not yeast. (at least for the purpose of this discussion, there's a chance that yeast issues like diastaticus could spoil the beer).

So next time you hear someone saying that hazy IPAs are just made by lazy brewers, understand that they don't know WTF they are talking about. The beers are kind of a PITA to brew, but they sell, and at the end of the day, that is what keeps the brewery doors open. Not to satisfy some vocal minority of D-bags who love going around telling people that they hate IPAs so they can feel like a rebel hipster or some shit.