Page 34 of 230 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Aroma Coma was tapped, I passed on the Narwhale, and settled on FW Double Jack.

Not as malty as I remember from previous batches (it's been a couple years). Starts dry with good bittering hops and no heavy lignins or oak, starts to finish with a subtle hint of tropical fruit, like mango and guava before a last note of oak and more hops.

Damn fine beer. Totally different style from my usual go-tos of Drakes, Russian River, Port.

Schuss, missing you at Portal, homeboy.
    I'm missing the fine drinking locales of Oakland as well.

Got some Payette Brewing Outlaw IPA (cans) on a trip up to Sun Valley in July. that shit was the bomb. Nice citrus notes, and was very smooth drinking. I find some cans can be a little "bitey"' but Outlaw was almost too easy to drink, especially after a day of riding.

Edit: duplicate post delete

By might as well mention the joy that resides in my Salt Lake fridge right now after a trip to MT one weekend and CO the next.
    Racer5 (forgot how good it is), Lakefront IPA, Eleysian IPA (the most meh of my supply right now), Happy Camper, Odell's IPA, 22oz New Belgium French Aramis IPA, and Deschutes. It's been a good couple of weeks.
    Last edited by flowtron's ghost; 09-05-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Anyone mentioned Green Flash West Coast IPA yet? The label says "extravagantly hopped" and it's true, but still really balanced and delicious.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Anyone mentioned Green Flash West Coast IPA yet? The label says "extravagantly hopped" and it's true, but still really balanced and delicious.
    Just had one of those on draught today at lunch out here in Nashville. It's definitely in my top 7, maybe 5, favorite beers...that I can find on a regular basis.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Having one now. Later an Imperial.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Just had a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA. Delicious and had a really nice, sweet aftertaste. A little pricey compared to other 22s ($7.99), but worth a try.

Wish I could have it on tap to compare.

Attachment 140648
    Local place does $5 growler fills on Fridays and I filled one up with this during my lunch break...it is waiting at home and I can't wait to try it!
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Interesting to see how Green Flash's distribution is expanding.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Interesting to see how Green Flash's distribution is expanding.
    The local grocery sells West Coast, the barleywine, and the ipa with the date code stamped on the bottle. Personally I like the West Coast as a good every day drinker. Clearly they know how to brew and bottle a hop forward IPA that comes through. New Glarus makes a much better barleywine though if you ever get a chance...try it
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-06-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Yep, we get Green Flash all over the place here now. Saison Diego is fantastic.

Auburn Ale House Gold Digger!

Almost finished with the growler we got on the way up to Truckee. I love this shit!

Also had the cask Hop Donkey. Fucking delicious. Cask opened a few days ago. Won't last long. 8.5% - 85ibu

Waitress brought us a a taste of the Little Digger she thought we'd like. Krystal Kartwright and I just don't get the "session beer" bullshit. It was ok, but as she said, "who the hell wants a LIGHT ipa?" Young Owen liked it, but said he liked the bigger Digger better.

Quote Originally Posted by MildWille View Post
    Local place does $5 growler fills on Fridays and I filled one up with this during my lunch break...it is waiting at home and I can't wait to try it!
    Please do tell...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Sierra Nevada Flipside Red IPA - not much happening. back to blah for SN

yeah - after trying it I say it's ok, but why?

I hear they are going to replace Tumbler with Flipside as a seasonal brew. Mistake I think. Torpedo is just fine as an everyday IPA, and Flipside is no better. Not as good to me. Why do something "special" that is not as good as the standard IPA and not as different as Tumbler brown? I definitely prefer IPA over brown, but not everyone does. I know quite a few folks (country folk) who really like Tumbler. I think they'd sell more Tumbler than Flipside myself, but maybe it's a way to get people who don't like IPA to buy IPA?

The Beer Camp IPA was delicious. 2nd year in a row I managed to weasel a keg.

Hugh Conway Guest
    People who like Brown Ale's by the cheaper offerings from NorthCoast or Full Sail? Dunno, I don't get the why of replacing Tumbler with Flipside either, and, from my 6-pack sample, Torpedo's definitely better. Beer Camp's always strong, really wish they'd expand it to more/better outlets because it'd change minds. Kinda how I wish they'd stuck with Ovila better because they had some solid (to me) offerings.

as fas as I know they are still with Ovila - 2 beers a year

Hoptimum will always vary +/-

just like Bigfoot - different every year

I've got a tonne of aged Bigfoot at home

Beer Camp is good cuz it's fresher than most SN - we could only get a dozen cases at my bottle shop

Torpedo, Hoptimum and Bigfoot are still far better than most offerings from brewers as big as SN

Tumbler is way better than Downtown Brown

Hugh Conway Guest
    yay! mikes in fightin' mood!

beer camp sits, unrefrigerated, on the floors of bevmo and safeway out here for months. the local bevmo still has a dozen+ twelvers. the good outlets (that refrigerate) sell out immediately but have limited stock, hence my comment. Ovila was originally, I think quarterly (I particularly liked the now unavailable Dubbel), now it's only 2 gimmicky things that aren't well carried. I don't like Torpedo really, but the others are pretty good, just weird distribution.

After a tough week I was double-stoked to find some Alesmith at my local shop (a first as far as I can recall). Nice and fruity for a second or two, and then...funky. Bummer. Down the drain it goes. Bad luck continues or something Alesmith has had some trouble with?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BraddA View Post
    After a tough week I was double-stoked to find some Alesmith at my local shop (a first as far as I can recall). Nice and fruity for a second or two, and then...funky. Bummer. Down the drain it goes. Bad luck continues or something Alesmith has had some trouble with?
    Alesmith, ime, makes good beers but has shitty distribution that doesn't necessarily do well by the beer.

Pyramid recalling all Berkley produced beers from my shop today. Bad yeastie beasties!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Alesmith, ime, makes good beers but has shitty distribution that doesn't necessarily do well by the beer.
    Well there you have it.

Have been enjoying Hop Devil by Victory Brewing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1380429833.785961.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	141898

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    yeah - after trying it I say it's ok, but why?

I hear they are going to replace Tumbler with Flipside as a seasonal brew. Mistake I think. Torpedo is just fine as an everyday IPA, and Flipside is no better. Not as good to me. Why do something "special" that is not as good as the standard IPA and not as different as Tumbler brown? I definitely prefer IPA over brown, but not everyone does. I know quite a few folks (country folk) who really like Tumbler. I think they'd sell more Tumbler than Flipside myself, but maybe it's a way to get people who don't like IPA to buy IPA?

The Beer Camp IPA was delicious. 2nd year in a row I managed to weasel a keg.
    I'd say the Hop Head Red from Green flash and you'll discover why they tried it. I also, along these lines, should suggest trying Uinta Dubhe Imperial Black IPA.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."