Page 216 of 237 FirstFirst ... 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 ... LastLast
Results 5,376 to 5,400 of 5919
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E590AD9-C306-417B-B2C1-B007F383FA4A.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	534.7 KB 
ID:	333084
    watch out for snakes

^^^Which yeast are you using? 1318? Conan? US05?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    ^^^Which yeast are you using? 1318? Conan? US05?
    I've liked my results w/ LAIII the most. Inland Island (a CO yeast lab) also has a Colorado IPA yeast that I've liked. Some guys are using Kveik strains but I haven't experimented w/ those yet. Using US05 in a hazy is kinda meh. It'll work, and it'll be hazy, but I feel like you just don't get the mouthfeel, or as much fruity notes from biotransformation.

On another note, Lallemand has a new (saccharomyces cerevisiae) yeast that produces lactic acid as it ferments, negating the need to kettle sour. Pretty interesting, as it also means that you can hop normally instead of holding back on the hops to prevent messing with the Lacto. It also produces some fruity esters that could go well in a sour IPA. Hoping to experiment with that in the future.

some damn good IPA's out there

Bad news boys....my buddy (Burlington FD) sent me this am.....

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	323.0 KB 
ID:	333216

That sux, any word on what started the fire?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Been living off trillium and treehouse throughout COVID and it’s not close at this point. I’d pick at least three or four Treehouse IPAs (Julius, green, alter ego) over anything I’ve had from trillium. As was mentioned above, Trillium seems to be trading off their name because half of what I’ve had from them was garbage, especially at the prices they charge. I have not tried any nonIPAs from trillium, so maybe those are better?

I’ve taken to driving an hour each way and waiting in line for Treehouse over front door delivery from Trillium (admittedly some of that is just wanting to get out of the house, but still..)
    Trillium was right down the block from where I worked for a few years so I spent a lot of work time at the tap room.

Friends of ours lived near the Canton brewery (Sharon, MA) and we had a party at the new place in fort point on our way out of RI. I have a place in my heart for trillium for those reasons.

I don’t think their beer is the best and I didn’t love some of their more exotic attempts or at least they were often not my thing. Definitely overpriced and overrated. I did like a lot of their Bird series of lighter pale ales.

Treehouse was a place that lots of friends went often so we always had a decent supply coming in. Every beer I had of theirs I thought was fantastic and would hold up to any of the VT beers (maybe Hill Farmstead excluded). I thought all their beers were juicy and lush compared to most Trillium IPAs to be really hoppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Been living off trillium and treehouse throughout COVID and it’s not close at this point. I’d pick at least three or four Treehouse IPAs (Julius, green, alter ego) over anything I’ve had from trillium. As was mentioned above, Trillium seems to be trading off their name because half of what I’ve had from them was garbage, especially at the prices they charge. I have not tried any nonIPAs from trillium, so maybe those are better?

I’ve taken to driving an hour each way and waiting in line for Treehouse over front door delivery from Trillium (admittedly some of that is just wanting to get out of the house, but still..)
    You forgot King Julius, jjjjuliusss, Very Green, Spring, Doppleganger (though Im growing out of this one) and a couple others. Not super impressed by Trillium at this point.

July 2nd, somewhere above the PCT between White Rock Lake and Perazzo Canyon, CA

In Tahoe we call 'em Cloudy IPAs...

Chance of Clouds
    Alibi Ale Works, Incline Village, NV
    ABV: 6.2%
    Hops: Mosaic, Azacca
    Malt: Pale, Pilsner, Wheat, Carafoam
    Yeast: Alibi Ale Yeast

I buried the can in the snow and chugged it after a few laps. This is a nice, zesty "hazy" styled IPA. Mild on the fruitiness and even-keeled on the bitter back-end. Super slamable when chilled (and after skiing).

Name:	IMG_4707.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	333470
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Mayberry IPA
    El Segundo Brewing Company, El Segundo, CA
    ABV: 7.2%
    Hops: Mosaic
    BOD: 3/22/20
    Purchase Date: 7/1/20

We had a new Raley's (an upscale supermarket) open the last week of June and their beer selection is pretty decent, though by the dates on this can they aren't too diligent about culling the old beers from the stock.
    I am still a little leery about visiting stores for any period of time, so I was in/out with my purchase and completely forgot to check for dates on the cans before buying.
    This West Coast styled IPA may have been a few months (close to 3!) past date--perhaps a bit sharper on the bite of the backend--but it was still very drinkable.

Name:	IMG_4712.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	334054

Moon Dunes Hazy IPA
    The Brewer's Cabinet, Reno, NV
    ABV: 7.5%
    BOD: 6/9/20
    Purchase Date: 7/1/20

A zesty, even tempered haze. Very drinkable.

Name:	IMG_4705.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	334055

Melvin Boom Shakazacca Hazy IIPA. This damn thing is well balanced and doesn't dri k like its high ABV would indicate.

Melvin really hit the bullseye with this one.

Melvin is still in business?

Yeah, Melvin is as big as ever, despite their issues in Bellingham. They're primarily based in Alpine, WY. I buy and drink their beer regularly, and I can't think of a bad beer I've had from them. I haven't had too many beers of theirs I would describe as noteworthy either, but they are a solid brewery.
    Last edited by glademaster; 07-08-2020 at 09:24 PM.

I forgot to post last weekend. I found an overpriced pretentious IPA that I really liked.

Name:	313D5CBD-8DE4-4728-A66D-71AD04449D26.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	425.1 KB 
ID:	334253

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Yeah, Melvin is as big as ever, despite their issues in Bellingham. They're primarily based in Alpine, WY. I buy and drink their beer regularly, and I can't think of a bad beer I've had from them. I haven't had too many beers of theirs I would describe as noteworthy either, but they are a solid brewery.
    Shitty people, good beer. I stay away these days. Many better beers from stand up folks.

Name:	FC7E25ED-2412-4ED9-9083-0E0979A01965.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	558.9 KB 
ID:	334295
    watch out for snakes

I should've put a winky or smiley on that one.

And I agree about their beers.

I was a fan when they were only brewing at Thai Me Up, and have had a few bus beers in various locations over the years. I've even had a beer with JT himself. So when their b'ham expansion was in the works I was really looking forward to it, but to be 100% honest, the execution wasn't great (even before the incident). The space looked good, but was annoying to be in. They wouldn't serve pints of anything they considered high abv - even when it wasn't much (if any) stronger than the other IPAs brewed within a 2 mile radius. The menu read well, but the food was terrible.

They were late entrants into a saturated market, so they needed to hit a home run, but thanks to some really dumb shenanigans and cancel culture they're just a memory around here. It's too bad because they employed locals who were undeservedly tainted and ultimately unemployed through absolutely no fault of their own. (meanwhile, the guy at fault went back to his job in Alpine)

A few months after both locations were closed, I was standing in front of the beer cooler at Dark Haggen, and two guys walked up beside me - one local, and a friend/relative visiting from out of town. The out of towner reached for a six pack of Melvin, and the local blocked him and said, "we don't drink that here. I'll tell you why later".

Bellingham incident is not the only thing that is keeping me from buying their beer on principle.

shit, there's more?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    shit, there's more?
    Unfortunately. Not the same kinda thing though. More about screwing people over / bad business practices.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Bad news boys....my buddy (Burlington FD) sent me this am.....

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	323.0 KB 
ID:	333216
    Damn. I bought a lot of product there.

I suppose I'm not surprised that people in the alcohol industry don't have great ethics. I love craft beer as much as next guy, but it is an industry marketing an addictive, destructive, poison which causes more harm than good overall. Seems like unscrupulous behavior would go hand-in-hand with that more often than not.

I'm not defending Melvin in particular, as I have no dog in that fight, but it's hard to talk about morality seriously with Polly Bailey at the table.

It's called a Flaming Moe.

I suppose I'm not surprised that people in the alcohol industry don't have great ethics. I love craft beer as much as next guy, but it is an industry marketing an addictive, destructive, poison which causes more harm than good overall. Seems like unscrupulous behavior would go hand-in-hand with that more often than not.

I'm not defending Melvin in particular, as I have no dog in that fight, but it's hard to talk about morality seriously with Polly Bailey at the table.
    For what it’s worth, I’ve worked with maybe 14 different breweries. The huge majority have been full of and run by good, upstanding people. There can be politics and shit shows now and then, but they are good people.

So I guess I don’t agree. Generally brewers are easy going, honest and community minded. Some of my best friends and people I respect most are brewers.