Page 6 of 237 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I hear you Captain, perhaps I was a wee bit judgmental. It just strikes me as a collision of two perfectly good styles that have no reason (historical, regional, or taste) of being put together. YMMV
    Montani Semper Liberi

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    I hear you Captain, perhaps I was a wee bit judgmental. It just strikes me as a collision of two perfectly good styles that have no reason (historical, regional, or taste) of being put together. YMMV
    I'd agree the Stone Cali-Belgique is just weird as are the couple others I've had.

Fucking impressed by an iba right this very moment - india black ale

Speakeasy Midnight Run black IPA at Toronado in SF. Perfectly balanced and tastes great as it warms up. Great balance of fruity hops with a nice accent of toasted oak and chocolate. FaNnnnnnnnntasticmmmmmmmmm

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

This thread sucks. It reminds me that, in spite of all the progress we've made as a nation, I can't have Ninkasi, Russian River Brewing Co, O'Dell's and Bell's all in the same day.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

no you can't ... but WTF are you complaining about? You can MUNI down to City Beer Store and come pretty damn close at City Beer Store by getting
    Avery Maharajah, Russian River Pliny the Elder, Port Hop 15, Alesmith, Mad River, Grand Teton, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Bear Republic, etc etc etc, all in one day.

http://www.citybeerstore.com/beer-store/beers/a

There's maggots here who are lucky to find a store within 30 miles that has 1 of those beers, let alone all of them!!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I'd agree the Stone Cali-Belgique is just weird as are the couple others I've had.
    Haven't tried that one yet. I suppose these belgian style ipas just aren't for everybody. Apparently they are for me and not for you!
    Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Anal View Post
    Both belgian style IPAs I've tried are delicious. Raging Bitch and Southern Tier Gemini.

Not a bad change of pace from your typical crisp, hoppy tasting IPAs. These have the complexity of taste but go down a little bit smoother, which is nice if you're in the mood for that.
    Ommegang BPA is excellent as well (too bad its a limited release, only been able to enjoy one bottle). Smooth, creamy and mildly hoppy all at the same time.

I'll make it a point to try Raging Bitch and Gemini.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    It just strikes me as a collision of two perfectly good styles that have no reason (historical, regional, or taste) of being put together. YMMV
    Historical: No this style has no basis, yet.

Regional: It's called the USofFKNA. the melting pot, Belgian and English styles coming together, it makes sense. In 150 years, this will give this style historical significance

Taste: This is really where this style has some basis. It's a good beer, not sure if I'd follow your description of a Hefe with an IPA mixed in, more like a Witte and an IPA, but thats just splitting hairs at this point.
    It tastes good (to me at least) and provides an alternative to hop heavy west coast style IPAs and hopless (or hop heavy) wheat beers.

It may be a brewer fuck around project, but I've got no problem with that. Thats what drives innovation. If brewers hadn't fucked around and tried to make a beer that could stand up to the trip to India, we wouldn't have this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Hugh Conway Guest
    there's nothing English in style about the beers being discussed in this thread other than the name.

this thread is full of win

I really underestimated the number of craft IPAs available these days. I enjoy my local brewery's IPAs the most just cause I know they didn't spend any time in a delivery van but I can't get over how good New Belgium's Ranger IPA is. Particularly the flavor it makes your burps. Never have I enjoyed my own flatulence as much.

The Library in Laramie, WY had Inversion IPAs for a buck during the Boise State game, the Pokes got beat down but I was drunk as hell on 10 bucks so good day at the end of it. Inversion is surprisingly chuggable. They also have an outstanding Imperial IPA on tap nearly year round. 7200' msl is also a good starting place for a heady buzz; or a drunken shit show.

Anyone dig on MOJO IPA by Boulder Beer? Very heavy citrus flavors work well with the pointed notes of the hops. Good things happen in Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    The San Diego beer scene is pretty unfortunate. Green Flash IPA is really good and AleSmith's IPA is pretty fucking excellent. After those two, you have to visit Pizza Port or Oggi's Pizza for good IPA on tap.
    Viva, I know I'm quoting you from a year ago but its SD beer week. And I've recently had some great beers in SD. Did a Brew Hop Tour.

Ballast Point was of the hook good. They had an amazing ginger IPA and a whiskey barrel beer that I want to dip my girlfriends body in.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

San Diego Beer Week: Nov. 5-14 2010

http://sdbw.org/events/

Always during my B-day, very sweet!
    There were some excellent beer pairings last year at some restaurants but don't see the same ones.
    Lots of events involving Maui Brewing this year. Can't wait to get some CoCoNut Porter on tap.

gonehucking, that High Tide IPA from Port Brewing should be in season now. A must try for any hop-head...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Was just in albuquerque and stopped by Marble brewing for some food and brews. They put out a tasty IPA. I liked the way it tastes with the green chile that is so ubiquitous down there. Stop by if you're in town, the brewery is laid back and the beer is cheap. IMO it was one of the more enjoyable places to drink downtown.
    Your jambox is now his...by way of our actions

Quote Originally Posted by The SMP View Post
    Was just in albuquerque and stopped by Marble brewing for some food and brews. They put out a tasty IPA. I liked the way it tastes with the green chile that is so ubiquitous down there. Stop by if you're in town, the brewery is laid back and the beer is cheap. IMO it was one of the more enjoyable places to drink downtown.
    I buy Marble IPA every time I'm down there. Lefthand in Longmont has a couple new ones with the Oxymoron and the Warrior IPA being my latest favorites.

Just got home from the neighborhood super duper market (read: not a liquor store) and got some goodies
    who wants to come over to my place?

hmmm what to go after first ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by hartzejr View Post
    more hoppy than most double or triples that I've had. But still fkn smoove.

HOOOOOOOOLY PINEAPPLE BATMAN!

Smoove alright. It could use a little more tongue biting hops (no idea what does this, Chinook?) but it's got a nice balance of sweetish fruit (straight pineapple!) to balance the alcohol. Just a touch more tonguebite and I'd be pretty impressed.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Coronado Brewing makes a very tasty IPA (and I finally found a local place that sells their 6ers).

Ballast Point IPA still gives me a headache (which sucks because it tastes damn good).

Ale Smith sucks now because they changed their hops (others agree with me). Something was lost. While it's no longer my first choice, it's still better than that swill that Stone markets as an IPA.

Oggi's Pizza still brews a damn fine IPA. Had a couple of pints the other night while watching Goatboy Kiffen futher degrade a once glorious football program. They call it Torrey Pines IPA and it's also available in 32oz bottles at various liquor stores.

Green Flash is now selling (at least locally) their West Coast IPA in 4-pacs for $8-9! Guess I won't be buying much of that anymore.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

SN Celebration is out now. I don't think it's officially an IPA, but it is for all intents and purposes. Just picked up a six-pack yesterday but haven't had one yet.

O'dells IPA on nitro at their tasting room was probably the best beer(or3) I've ever had in my life. Its was like a fistfull of hops and a fistfull of grapefruit smashing smoothly into my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Green Flash is now selling (at least locally) their West Coast IPA in 4-pacs for $8-9!
    Had their Imperial on draft last night, $6 a pint, not a bad deal at 9.4%. The thing was like mango hop juice ... no resin, no sticky dank, no pine. Not very bitter either, just enough to give texture but nothing like bigger California style IPAs. Kind of odd considering how opaque and cloudy it looked. But it was pretty wild starting the night with a Big Swell, which was straight pineapple, and then going to Green Flash Imperial, which was straight mango. Just to be sure I wasn't making up flavors I drank the Green Flash alongside a bit of Pliny

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    O'dells IPA on nitro
    never had an IPA on nitrogen, what's it do for the mouthfeel? Does the head not last as long?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I've come to discover that as far as bang for the buck, Sierra Nevada Torpedo is the best. It's 9 bucks a sixer at Wegmans, but is on sale for 8 about half the time. That being said, I still buy the Ithaca Flower Power for 10.50 a sixer
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

here in NorCal Lagunitas IPA on sale for $15 a 12-pack is my bang for the buck IPA ... great quality at a competitive price. Other ones from Deschutes, Full Sail, Pyramid ... much lacking there.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Odell's IPA. That is all.

Had a few different Wet Hop IPAs this year. Freshly picked hops dumped in during the boil. Gives an amazingly fresh, crisp, hop flavor with a lighter body.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Had a few different Wet Hop IPAs this year. Freshly picked hops dumped in during the boil. Gives an amazingly fresh, crisp, hop flavor with a lighter body.
    The Lefthand Warrior IPA is wet hopped and I think it's great but less "hoppy" than a normal IPA. Good shit.

For those of you on the right coast side of things, Ithaca Flower Power is a nice IPA that I've had a couple of 6ers of lately.
    Red-i-XS