Page 5 of 237 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I don't know if it's $13 a 4-pack good but it's pretty close.
    QFT.

I think the Gubna my favorite IPA right now. Makes me wonder if I missed something special by not trying their 10 fiddy stout.

Quote Originally Posted by nhtele View Post
    QFT.

I think the Gubna my favorite IPA right now. Makes me wonder if I missed something special by not trying their 10 fiddy stout.
    No worries, it comes back in October. 10-Fiddy went from seasonal, to year-round, back to seasonal status...

Quote Originally Posted by shimstack View Post
    Modus Hoperandi is the shit. Well rounded, floral, light citrus, and very smooth.
    Yes. I had a chance to enjoy a six pack last week out of the can. Good stuff.

My favorite IPA from New Glarus - Hearty Hop isn't being brewed at the moment - replaced with Moonman Pale Ale which is good with a smooth finish but without the awesome hop kick. I sent them a note or three on the subject hoping they bring back the Hearty Hop.

I've had two really good ones in the last couple weeks: Green Flash West Coast IPA and Port Brewing Wipeout. There are some good beers coming out of San Diego these days!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I've had two really good ones in the last couple weeks: Green Flash West Coast IPA and Port Brewing Wipeout.
    Those are two of the best coming out of these here parts.

Also look out for Ale Smith IPA ( http://alesmith.com/ ) and there's one from Mission Brewery ( http://www.missionbrewery.com/ ) that's really nice.

If you ever encounter Ballast Point IPA, know that, while I found it very tasty, I always had a headache the following day. Also, if you see Karl Strauss IPA, you simply cannot run away fast enough.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Port Brewing High Tide IPA

http://www.portbrewing.com/our-beers/high-tide/

Might be the best one I've ever had.
    Alesmith's is also a good one, they add yeast to their bottles and the head is incredible.

Slightly off topic, but while picking up my usual IPA 6'er today after work I was surprised to see the first incarnation of Jubelale Winter Ale show up at my local store. Pretty nice surprise for the last day of summer!

gunit130 Guest
    Drink a Flying Dog - Raging Bitch Belgian Style IPA right now. Not the typical tasting IPA, much better IMO.

8.3% abv

Highly recommend

just had steelhead double ipa from mad river brewing which bested my previous favorite dogfish head 90 minute. also quite a bit cheaper ($12/6 vs $11/4)

now that i am seeing ipa 6 packs at $18 i am wondering if it really costs that much more for a good beer. may try a homebrew clone
    picador

more hoppy than most double or triples that I've had. But still fkn smoove.

the kids are all wasted on pot listening to heavy metal

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    Drink a Flying Dog - Raging Bitch Belgian Style IPA right now. Not the typical tasting IPA, much better IMO.

8.3% abv

Highly recommend
    Too bad they're no longer a CO brew... They used to have punk rawk shows at their brewery in lodo back in the day. fkna.
    the kids are all wasted on pot listening to heavy metal

Currently working through a 6er or this:

Yes, I like! Very much!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

^^^great stuff, only 2 hours down the road from me too.....try some of their other offerings; all first rate.

Quote Originally Posted by hartzejr View Post
    more hoppy than most double or triples that I've had.
    I can't remember ever having a hoppy double or triple...

^ double or triple IPA, not double or tripel belgian.

You want a hoppy DIPA? Go for Pliny the Elder. My absolute fave. Actually ... Pliny is hoppy but refined. You want hoppy and unrefined go for Moylan's Hopsickle Triple IPA. Like slicing your toungue with hop-coated razor blades.

Lately I've been drinking a lot of Drakes, a small brewer in San Leandro which is a few minutes south of the Oakland Coliseum. Drakes IPA and Denogginizer DIPA are great.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Drakes IPA and Denogginizer DIPA are great.
    meh, I was underimpressed with Denogginizer. Not bad, but in that $7/pounder range it's unremarkable.

Agree on Hopsickle, it's unpleasant.

Found another one that I find exceptional. From O'so brewing in Plover, WI. Wife picked me up a sixer in Milwaukee and we're searching for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    meh, I was underimpressed with Denogginizer.
    Where did you have it? I've never had it in the bottle, only on tap at Toronado in SF and Jupiter in Berkeley.

Port Brewing Company from San Diego is great as well:
    http://www.portbrewing.com/our-beers/

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    just had steelhead double ipa from mad river brewing
    Mmmmm, I miss Steelhead beers.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Where did you have it? I've never had it in the bottle, only on tap at Toronado in SF and Jupiter in Berkeley.

Port Brewing Company from San Diego is great as well:
    http://www.portbrewing.com/our-beers/
    Bevmo, Whole Foods and New Leaf have it in bottles - Port's stuff is great, same with Stone and both are similar or cheaper than the Drake's.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post

8.3% abv

Highly recommend
    Highly disagree.
    Complete thumbs down. WTF is a Belgian style-IPA? Tastes like a Heffenwizen mixed with a mediocre pale ale - weird mix of tastes and completely a brewer's fuck-off project if you ask me.

On the other hand I do have give props to two decent local offerings, North End Tavern's IPA (Parkersburg WV) and Mountain State Brewing Co. Seneca IPA. Mountain State has been a favorite for a few years, but the N.E.T. IPA really surprised me - amazing aromatic hops, clean finish, holds it's own against all comers. I'd put up against the Green Flash, Dogfish, and Hopdevils of the IPA world.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Bevmo, Whole Foods and New Leaf have it in bottles
    ahhh, maybe the Denogginizer is best consumed on draft then. Although I do really enjoy Drakes IPA out of the bottle.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    All you could drink Steelhead Doubles at Biketoberfest in Fairfax (Marin County) last weekend

plus Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, El Toro IPA, and Bear Republic Racer 5 - admission was just $20!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Highly disagree.
    Complete thumbs down. WTF is a Belgian style-IPA? Tastes like a Heffenwizen mixed with a mediocre pale ale - weird mix of tastes and completely a brewer's fuck-off project if you ask me.

On the other hand I do have give props to two decent local offerings, North End Tavern's IPA (Parkersburg WV) and Mountain State Brewing Co. Seneca IPA. Mountain State has been a favorite for a few years, but the N.E.T. IPA really surprised me - amazing aromatic hops, clean finish, holds it's own against all comers. I'd put up against the Green Flash, Dogfish, and Hopdevils of the IPA world.
    Both belgian style IPAs I've tried are delicious. Raging Bitch and Southern Tier Gemini.

Tastes like a Heffenwizen mixed with a mediocre pale ale
    In my opinion that is a grossly oversimplified description and just completely off base. You don't have to like it, but they are some damn good beers. Definitely not a fuck-off project.

Not a bad change of pace from your typical crisp, hoppy tasting IPAs. These have the complexity of taste but go down a little bit smoother, which is nice if you're in the mood for that.
    Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Another vote for Pliny the Elder, good stuff, one of my favorites
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.