Page 39 of 237 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    is the east coast nooner different? it tasted and smelled like a bonghit.
    After several more bottles, I'm gonna have to admit that I MAY have been drunk when I said this beer was good. It kinda sucks.

I've been loving the Odell IPA's lately. Exactly what I'm looking for in an IPA. Highly Citrus with piney aroma. Just the right amount of chill haze, and carbonation(well, maybe a little over carbed..).

Was Drinking a lot of Daytime IPA from Lagunitas. Anyone who loves to hate on "session IPA's" should give this a try. Light in body, but beautiful hop characteristics. Great for springtime sunday deck lounging. Lagunitas seems to be everywhere recently, and that's a good thing IMHO.

Hugh Conway Guest
    nah, it still sucks shredgnar, but whatever you need to spew "expert" I'm sure when all the cool beer kids move on to the next in style you'll be there too

Hugh Conway ladies and gentlemen. E-stalker, troll, and consumate beer expert. Only he holds the knowledge of what beer is acceptable to drink, and what is swill. Although he's a pedestrian internet troll with above average google skills.

If I wanted to argue about beer today, I'd go to beeradvocate.

I'm sure when all the cool beer kids move on to the next in style you'll be there too
    Not really into sours yet. Not really my thing.

A beer that's up with the Pliny's, Heady, etc. is Elevated from La Cumbre. Their dank series is also pretty top notch, distribution I believe is not very large so it can be tough to come across.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caldera_hop_hash.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	154878
    Hop Hash

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I've been loving the Odell IPA's lately. Exactly what I'm looking for in an IPA. Highly Citrus with piney aroma. Just the right amount of chill haze, and carbonation(well, maybe a little over carbed..).

Was Drinking a lot of Daytime IPA from Lagunitas. Anyone who loves to hate on "session IPA's" should give this a try. Light in body, but beautiful hop characteristics. Great for springtime sunday deck lounging. Lagunitas seems to be everywhere recently, and that's a good thing IMHO.
    I too, love Lagunitas. L'il Sumpin, and Censored Ale are 2 of my favorites from them.

BUT, I must disagree on the whole "Session IPA" thing. I have not really had a good one. MAYBE Founders All Day IPA, I've had a bunch of that. But honestly, if I'm gonna have a drinking "session", I'm just gonna go with a different style of beer! Why water down an IPA to make it possible to drink a shitload of them? Just pick a lager or some other easier drinking style...

I'm not into Lagunitas products or "session" IPAs so there.

For me, Odell's is the bar by which all others are measured. And it kills me that they don't make it out of that very small Rocky Mountain region PLUS Texas PLUS the UK.

Recently I've been spending more time with Boulevard Double Wide IPA and Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, both fine stand in products until I can get back to The Fort and grab more of my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Hop Hash
    Caldera hop hash is great, their regular IPA isn't too shabby either. Have you tried Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas? Pretty much the only beer from Lagunitas that I'll actively seek out and stock pile. 102 IBUs baby.

I haven't tried Odell's IPA, sounds right up my alley with the heavy citrus and pine. Might have to pick some up this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    BUT, I must disagree on the whole "Session IPA" thing. I have not really had a good one. MAYBE Founders All Day IPA, I've had a bunch of that. But honestly, if I'm gonna have a drinking "session", I'm just gonna go with a different style of beer! Why water down an IPA to make it possible to drink a shitload of them? Just pick a lager or some other easier drinking style...
    I can see where you are coming from, but the good ones are not just watered down IPA. They still accentuate the hop aroma and flavors without weighing you down. It's not so much about the ABV for me, it's more about it being lighter, but still offering the flavors I enjoy. It's not something I drink all the time, but when you've been at a beer fest, or on the river for a few days, it can be a nice refreshing beer that doesn't weight you down and still offers some hop flavor. Is it something that I'll drink every day? Probably not, but does it have a time and a place? Sure, maybe they should call it a breakfast beer instead.

Besides, there are a million different styles of beer out there, if you don't like it, don't drink it, someone else will. It's funny when people get all worked up over new styles of beer. Just drink what you like. If it doesn't sell, it'll go away soon enough.

I'm venting, so I don't get all worked up. It's a good preemptive tactic...

Not really into sours yet. Not really my thing.
    No joke. Sours are all the rage in San Diego. I don't get it they taste like a wine spritzer

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    No joke. Sours are all the rage in San Diego. I don't get it they taste like a wine spritzer
    I've had a few dark sours that are really good, especially paired with the right food, but yeah, I just can't get into it. Trust me, I've tried almost every sour out there, but the accompanying bellyache just ain't my thang.

I am open minded to it though, one day, Brett and Lacto will come around and gain mainstream acceptance, but it has a way to go. Sour IPA? Sure, why not. (just to keep it on topic...)

I had a pretty good lacto stout with the unfortunate name "mans milk" not to long ago.

To keep it on topic black IPAs are very popular down here as well. I'm a fan. For the most part they seem to be nice and balanced with a big flavor profile.

Odell's IPA gets the seal of approval from this guy. Very well rounded and easy to drink. Citrusy up front with an tasty dry-piney finish. I can't stand IPAs with that super sweet finish like Unitas' Hop Notch or Deschute's Inversion, to name a couple.

Any other recommendations for Colorado IPAs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	de_404_lg.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	154922  
    Last edited by wildmanwillie; 04-30-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: fucking pictures won't werk godamnit

I had a pretty good lacto stout with the unfortunate name "mans milk" not to long ago.

To keep it on topic black IPAs are very popular down here as well. I'm a fan. For the most part they seem to be nice and balanced with a big flavor profile.
    Fort George has a pretty solid black IPA. I liked it more than HUB's black IPA. What black IPAs are you diggin?

My fave was a green flash on cask. Super nice. Me and my girl ended up having 3 .5 liters each with lunch and got nice and happy

My fave was a green flash on cask. Super nice. Me and my girl ended up having 3 .5 liters each with lunch and got nice and happy
    Lol...I almost lost my shit, I read that as 3.5 liters each!! That would be impressive and scary all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    For me, Odell's is the bar by which all others are measured.
    Yep. Definitely my go-to IPA.

And if they keep expanding like they have been I'd bet you'll be seeing them in more states in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    A beer that's up with the Pliny's, Heady, etc. is Elevated from La Cumbre. Their dank series is also pretty top notch, distribution I believe is not very large so it can be tough to come across.
    Yeah, I agree. Elevated is my favorite. I just wish I could sit down with all three at the same time. Luckily I can get Heady relatively easy. It will be a long time before I can score an Elevated or Pliny again.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I'm not into Lagunitas products or "session" IPAs so there.
    most of Lagunitas's stuff now blows. Their oddities are okish.

Sour IPAs mostly blow unless you are nutcupping at bear festivals; but this has become the thread for shredgnar to regurgitate marketing point bullshit.

If I want to be fashionable at what point do I have to quit drinking winter ale ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think you just have to migrate south. Or say you're drinking sour winter ale.