Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Patak's sauce??

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude

Patak's sauce??

which one do I go with tonight? Rogan Josh? Tikka Masala? Vindaloo? Curry?

Planning on buying one a them roasted chickens, sautee up some peppers, zucchini, onion and mushrooms and serve over rice with one of the above sauces.

I love the already roasted chicken move, just clean the meat off the bones and add to the veg/sauce. Also works well for making burritos.

thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

rogan or tikka

if you sub the zucchini for potatoes, do the vindaloo

Gotta go for the vindaloo.

No no no. Go for the Patak pastes not the cook in sauces. So much better. Mix them up a bit, try the Rogan Josh with some extra chillies, garlic & fresh ginger then throw in coconut milk, not tomatoes - no longer a rogan josh but a great curry.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_Schmuck View Post
    No no no. Go for the Patak pastes not the cook in sauces. So much better. Mix them up a bit, try the Rogan Josh with some extra chillies, garlic & fresh ginger then throw in coconut milk, not tomatoes - no longer a rogan josh but a great curry.
    Agreed paste > sauce
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

^In that case, go for the the vindaloo paste. Hotter the better.

Wurd do the paste.

And go Tikka.

For a hot Vindaloo hit the Hanifs. There are two one is damn near black in colour and probably not for white people. It is good but also fucking sweating bullets hot.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Really? paste > sauce? shit. I bought the sauce, I'll have to go back to the store. what is the main difference between the paste and the sauce? i'm assuming that the paste just gets added with some water and you let it simmer. how is that different than using the sauce but not adding water?

fahk. I thought I had a handle on this situation.

I bought Rogan Josh by the way.

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by vinzclortho View Post
    i'm assuming that the paste just gets added with some water and you let it simmer. how is that different than using the sauce but not adding water? .
    because you dont have to use water
    you can use coco milk, stock, tomatos, whatever

I'm feeling like lighting my asshole on fire. Gonna have to go seek out some of that black vindaloo paste for dinner.

PATAKS IS THE SHIT

I'm on Madras chilli and cumin paste right now; added extra fresh ginger, chilli, and coriander etc to potatoes, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms and spinach. i was going to chuck in one of my chickens but the little fuckers are too scrawny! no meat on them. They better start giving me more eggs, or fatten up.

When using the paste, always cook it first.

An old standby is: lightly saute two big spoonfuls of Madras paste in a little oil* for two minutes, then add chopped onion and garlic until translucent, then ground beef and finely diced potatoes, then a can of tomato, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, adding a handful of frozen peas halfway through. Stir in a handful of chopped cilantro at the last minute, salt to taste and serve over white rice.

I wrap the leftovers in crescent roll dough for Gringo Samosas. Good shit.

*open all your windows and turn on the hood fan unless you want your house to smell like Indian food for the next week or two.

Is this Patak's stuff available in most standard grocery stores? I don't recall seeing it before but I haven't exactly been looking for it. I have a major indian food craving right now and the rotisserie bird+veggies+sauce is sounding like a damn good dinner idea right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner View Post

An old standby is: lightly saute two big spoonfuls of Madras paste in a little oil* for two minutes, then add chopped onion and garlic until translucent, then ground beef and finely diced potatoes, then a can of tomato, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, adding a handful of frozen peas halfway through. Stir in a handful of chopped cilantro at the last minute, salt to taste and serve over white rice.

*open all your windows and turn on the hood fan unless you want your house to smell like Indian food for the next week or two.
    Pinner! That is goddamn outstanding. Thank you.

You're welcome.

A nice variation is to add a teaspoon of turmeric to your rice water. And you are ONLY using Basmati rice, right?

DTM, your whitey supermarkets don't carry Pataks, though Whole Foods might. Your best bet is to find a local Indian grocer in your area and go ape.

A couple of times a year I pick up a 10lb sack of Basmati, several bottles of Patak's, a couple of Shan Bombay Biryani mixes (this is the SHIT), and raid the frozen section for samosas and naan. Every December I host a dinner to celebrate my dog's birthday and serve up a huDge Indian feast. It doubles as a pre-holiday party too. Lots of fun. You should come.

Another vote for paste.

I like to throw in spinach/watercress toward the end, letting it wilt before putting the lid back on. Especially good in vegie curries, imho.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

not traditional for indian curry... but any experience using quinoa instead of basmati? I'm fond of quinoa, and fusion cusine. Reckon I'll give it a try.

Fusion = Fail

Fusion = Fail
    Fair enough. Keep it real I guess.
    Although I have done a gallo pinto spin off using quinoa instead of rice. And given that quinoa is semi-regional, it works. It's fucking chronic. Especially with avocado. And sriracha.

I went back and bought the paste and we added most of a can of unsweetened coconut milk to mellow out the spice (I love spicy food but I can't go nuts like I used to due to heavy stomach acid issues)

anyways it worked out quite nicely, still had good heat to it but once you got past the firs wave of spicy you could get the flavors of the chicken and veggies. we tried to get the peppers/mushrooms/squash and broccoli a bit undercooked so they wouldn't turn to mush while simmering in the sauce and it worked really well, especially the slightly crunchy broccoli.

I bought the patak's at a super stop and shop and I know they also have it down the street at my local grocery so they do carry it at whitey super markets. also surprising to see that both places carry Sirachas (the rooster sauce) after I had to look all over the place for it when I moved back from Ventura.

all in all, great meal!

The main advantage of the paste is you can add as much or as little as you like to get the flavours the way YOU want them.

When making funky rice (as above with Tumeric) throw in a few of whole Cardamoms, Cloves and a Star Anise.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Ground beef?!

I brought up the paste vs. sauce topic with my physical therapist this morning who is of Indian descent. He said his wife (also of Indian descent) and his mom both use the paste when they cook with Patak's. So...yeah...chalk one up to the paste being the real deal.

He also said using yogurt and not coconut milk gives you a greater degree of control over the spicy.

now I have a jar of the sauce sitting in my cubbard...glaring at me with my bad decisions wrapped up in it. Oh I'll still use it, but it's not the paste and will taste like poison...POISON I SAY!!!

I did the Pataks Tandoori last week.

Butterflied whole chicken, mixed:
    4 tablespoons tandoori paste
    2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
    three cloves of crushed garlic

Marinated the chicken in the tandoori/yogurt mix for four hours and then grilled on the BBQ. Hell yes.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

mmmm... I love when my asshole esta en fuego. hurts so good.