Fall surf trip ideas

Looking to go on a 1 or 2 month trip during october and november, to kill depression of no snow and no sun. Anyone have any good ideas ? I was thinking maybe a road trip from washington to mexico... or something a bit more tropical. I was thinking maybe hawaii, as I have some friends there but I think costa rica or south america could be really cool. of course it would have to be somewhat affordable.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Indo. Duh.

Yeah man, i'm looking to do something similar. I might be hitting Maui in Oct/Nov but not sure. I would recommend doing a latter trip there anyway; I was there last year in Mid-oct but the swells weren't pumping yet. It might be different this year w/ el nino but it will definitely be better in the winter. If you've been getting out lately, its been ripping the last two weeks, hope you're enjoying it. Weather in the 80s, water in the 60s, and swells in the 7-17 ft range.... epic.

Cabo can be very fun in October.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Yeah man, i'm looking to do something similar. I might be hitting Maui in Oct/Nov but not sure. I would recommend doing a latter trip there anyway; I was there last year in Mid-oct but the swells weren't pumping yet. It might be different this year w/ el nino but it will definitely be better in the winter. If you've been getting out lately, its been ripping the last two weeks, hope you're enjoying it. Weather in the 80s, water in the 60s, and swells in the 7-17 ft range.... epic.
    unless you've got a place to stay hooked up for cheap isn't pretty much any other tropical surf destination cheaper than Hawaii?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    unless you've got a place to stay hooked up for cheap isn't pretty much any other tropical surf destination cheaper than Hawaii?
    Yep, absolutely. Lodging in Hawaii is expensive as Fawk, but thats only if you're dumb enough to book on something like orbitz. Last year we camped, couch surfed, and hooked up w/ some ladies and vagabonded in their hotel room

It was still pretty expensive tho, food and drink and all that was way overpriced....

Check out Puerto Escondido, MX. stupid sick break (check out pics on magicseaweed), super cheap lodging, and not an overpriced tourist destination.

thanks man, you made it out to CB and seaside this fall?? heard its been big

Quote Originally Posted by ALPENTOLIC View Post
    Yeah man, been hitting Shorties all summer (smugglers cove), the last few weeks have been great. 7-17ft... summer was hit and miss, but still good. the water is warm now and waves consistent. Great fall surf.

yea I surfed there a few weekends and such, waves were not consistant at all. Although had some fun days on that north wall... I should be coming through soon as I am newly unemployed and will be heading to so cal for a few weeks, Ill drop you a line if I head to shorties

Quote Originally Posted by ALPENTOLIC View Post
    Surfed Seaside Point for the first time Sept. long weekend. Surfed the cove a bunch of times before but first time the Point was looking good so went out. Absolutely SIC wave, top 3 for NA waves I've surfed. Maybe 8 guys out, me the only non-local and of course I got vibed by one. I know my etiquette so I know it wasn't me, whatever, awesome session. Talking to some Cannon Beach locals later and even they won't go out, too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Surfed Seaside Point for the first time Sept. long weekend. Surfed the cove a bunch of times before but first time the Point was looking good so went out. Absolutely SIC wave, top 3 for NA waves I've surfed. Maybe 8 guys out, me the only non-local and of course I got vibed by one. I know my etiquette so I know it wasn't me, whatever, awesome session. Talking to some Cannon Beach locals later and even they won't go out, too bad.
    Because of the wave or the line-up?

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Because of the wave or the line-up?
    The line-up there has a huge rep. I haven't really heard any first hand stories but was surprised by the CB comments.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Knew some shits from PDX who had tires slashed at Seaside.

Funniest lineups are in WA though because the locals can't surf for shit but still throw 'tude.... even their stinkeye sucks, looks like they are pinching a loaf.

word, WA surfers are hilarious... me being one, I just dont understand the whole tire slashing thing, retarded... Although snake my pillow line and were talking blood

this is a good place for travel ideas. http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/ind....cfm?tid=20370

California isn't too far or exotic, but its a good bet for swell in fall

I'm in SA now and considering this is their off season, its been really good. Scored clean 2xOH at j-bay a couple weeks ago that was unreal good. Airfair is a little spendy though.

A little stoke for the road:
    Last edited by pollard; 10-11-2009 at 02:52 PM.

France, Portugal, Ireland, then down to Morroco. Go off in the fall....

soo?

I went to hawaii for a few weeks to work on a friends sail boat. It was ok, got to surf the north shore a bit at pipeline. it was like 2-4 (hawaiian style) 4-8ish pus style. Im over that place tho. ready to head to indo. after ski season I think thats my path. The shark scene in SA make me a bit nervous... what you think>?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Knew some shits from PDX who had tires slashed at Seaside.

Funniest lineups are in WA though because the locals can't surf for shit but still throw 'tude.... even their stinkeye sucks, looks like they are pinching a loaf.
    Ha, agree completely. I fucked up and didn't see a guy dropping behind my shoulder, it was my bad but i thought i had "priority" in the line-up on that wave and didn't check. I apologized, knew it was my bad, but he continued to be pissed, talk shit, and look like he was constipated on his board, struggling to get the turtle from it's shell. I had to threaten to drown the kook before he stfu.

Hugh Conway Guest
    ahhh the PNW surf scene. nope, don't miss it at all.

Indo in April/May/June = heaven on the planet.

I lived in Bali for 3 years,Oct/Nov can be hit and miss,sometimes it's epic and the trades hang about,not much crowds,other years it's super hot,no rain yet,not much swell.
    Europe is pumping during this time,if money is an issue,go to Morocco,if not get a van and do France,Spain,Portugal.
    Hell if you are in Ireland,hit me up and i will show you some nice spots,although it's far from tropical!