On the way back.

Tore my ACL April 02 while skiing at Whistler, surgery done on August 6th, Patellar Graft as well as a cleanup of my cartilage since they were in there.

I figured I would add my experience to the posts since I might be a little older than most here and we can see what difference age makes. So for that reason here are the vitals.

White Male
    6'
    175 lbs
    Aged 50 (actually I tore the ACL on my 50th birthday )
    Fitness level was high. I was just finishing up the season in Whistler, I mountain bike, play hockey, hike etc.

Original diagnosis in Whistler by Dr McKonkey (sic?), but since I was going back to Calgary May 15th I got a referal to Dr Timmerman, saw him mid June, got my name on stand-by list for surgery starting in August since I had things to do in the summer, I could also have booked something for September starting in late July, but got called for an August 6th date a week later and took it, a little earlier than I wanted, but the wife is on sabbatical until Sept 15th, we live in the country and it was just going to be easier to get to physio if she was around.

Surgery went well, in the hospital for around 12 hours total, actual surgery was 1 1/2 hours, a little longer than normal, but that was because of the cartilage cleanup. Weirdess thing of the whole experience was lying in the operating room with the anathesologist asking me if I was getting sleepy while breathing in oxygen, they started the injection, there is a burning sensation in my arm, I thinking, "Nothing is happening here, I'm wide awake", and the next thing I know someone is asking me if I feel OK, I'm in recovery and pretty much wide awake again. It was like someone turned me off and then back on.

So first couple nights home are not very restful, 2 Tylenol 3's every 4 hours meant that I would sleep for maybe an hour between doses. Knee is pretty swollen, but it takes a full day for the injection they put into it to wear-off so it more aches than hurts. Pain drops off pretty quickly after the first two days,so I start cutting down to 1 Tylenol on Friday, went off them after my 1:30 Saturday AM dose.

I am using a homeopathic product called arnica montana for any pain, swelling and bruising

I have also been taking lots of vitamins and supplements since surgery.

Vitamin C,E,D
    Calcium,Magnesium,Zinc,L-Lysine,L-Glutamine,Co-Enzyme Q10, BF&C, Echinicea,Golden Seal, MSM, Garlic

Started doing ROM the day after surgery, that was pleasant. Although I think it hurt more trying to straighten the leg completely than bending it did.

Went to physio on Monday, Ultrasound, electrical stimulation and ROM. Have 90 degree with some effort. PT wants me off crutches in two weeks, wants me to walk with crutches weight bearing as much as possible. I think he justs wants to see if he can make me cry

Today more ROM at home, 90 degree is easier now, swelling is starting to go down. I keep a cyro cuff on it anytime I am sitting so that helps with reducing swelling, good thing our fridge has an ice maker.

THat is it for now, updates wil come as progress continues.
    Last edited by eldereldo; 08-12-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Update 2 weeks post-op

PT continues to use ultra sound to clear up bruising, still have some purple, but the lovely green and yellow is almost gone.

I also have a knee again as the swelling has retreated considerably.

I have added Glucosamine Chondroitin 1000mg to my regime, three time daily, with meals.

I am off crutches, no more Zimmer Splint. I can walk 'relatively' normally as long as I do so slowly and concentrate on a normal motion, it is getting easier to let the repaired leg swing to full extension.

PT consists of electrical muscle stimulation to the quad to get it going again which is working quite nicely as I was able to do leg raises for the first time today during and after the treatment, riding bicycle (recumbent), I can do full rotations but with very low resistance at the moment. Also using the Leg Extension and down leg curl machine, again low weights, more for the range of motion than strength. I can walk up stairs OK, but am still working on down as my leg doesn't like the descending motion.

ROM is 120 degrees bend, I can straighten it almost as well as the good leg although it takes more effort.

I can drive again as my injured leg is my left and luckily we have an automatic in the truck.

PT is very pleased with the progress, I have an appointment with the surgeon for the 31st and apparently he is a bit of a hard ass about making sure you are straightening your leg, so I work on that a lot, sitting with my leg up, supported under the ankle and letting gravity pull my knee down.

No pain except on downstairs, and off course when the PT trys to see just how far I can actually bend.
    Last edited by eldereldo; 08-20-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Good to hear the experience of another Canadian. Sounds like you got into surgery fairly quickly, that's good news to me. I see my surgeon on the 10th, and I'm hopeful he'll get me in soon.

All they gave you for pain was T3???

Supplement junkie! Good to hear man. For me, goldenseal is probably the best herb I think I've ever taken, seems to work on almost all my ailments.

well, maybe there was some peyote....

I took goldenseal for a while, but you aren't supposed to take that stuff for to long.

I went standby for surgery otherwise it would have been mid september, but to do that you need to be able to go in on a couple days notice.

I took T3, they also gave me Percoset, but I didn't need it. I hate pain killers...

Update Week 3.

I am 15 degrees away from full flex, knee can fully straighten, although I can't yet lift my heel when my leg is flat.

Riding bike, with resistance now, walking on treadmill, both forward and backwards, and doing weight machines as well as lunges and squats.

I can walk up steps relatively easily, going down is a bit more of a exercise.

Got the OK to go golfing by mid September.

Took a short ride on my Mtn Bike, put flat pedals on and stuck to the driveway, but still feels good to be pedalling something and moving.

Sutures are almost completely healed, sterile dressing is off and I can shower again. (yeh!!)

Appointment with Surgeon on Monday for first review.

I am really happy with my progress so far, seems to be going smoothly and getting consistently better.

Wow, golfing six weeks post-op? Awesome!

My PT said "Golfing? that's an old man's sport, yeh, you can golf" Mind you both he and I almost qualify for old man status.

Update. Week 4

PT had me on my stomach and was laying into my leg bending it when he asked me to bend my good leg so he could see how I was doing. He had my repaired leg farther down than I could get my good one on my own

Added sliding on a Fitter slide board

And working on strength stuff with the electrical stimulation attached and zapping my quad.

I can walk a reasonable distance before the knee starts swelling.

So things continue to progress

Week 7

Went for a 3 1/2 hour Mountain Bike ride yesterday. 2 1/2 hours up, 1 hour down. Knee is a little sore this morning but no worse than after a workout. Bonked pretty bad at the very end of the climb due to not much cardio for a month and 1/2, but sure felt good to be back out doors rather than spinning inside. No pain while riding, and I had to crank pretty hard on some uphills. Downhill was off the seat all the way.

Still going to PT once a week, but will probably reduce to every second week soon as I am going to the gym on a regular basis now.

Biggest problem is that I feel so good I have to keep myself from over doing things.

Thanks for posting the important information.keep posting in coming future as well and we will appreciate your posting!!!

Just to add, had another PT on Thursday as well and have addd bouncing on the tramp with my repaired leg, jumping up and down onto the half ball and more slider work This is all for balance and getting the muscles working again for small movements. Did ask the PT if I could start skating and he told me it was probably to early, but to talk to my surgeon at my mid October appointment.

Haven't updated for a while as there has been no real change, just doing my PT and getting stronger. But I saw my surgeon on the 21st and have the go ahead to start skiing again Jan 5th. I have to keep to greens and groomers to start with, but 5 months after surgery I will be back on skiis. One more appointment Feb 1st, and as long as everything feels OK he says I should be good to go back to regular skiing, albet with a brace for the rest of this season.