Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The PGA has balls of steel

Do they not realize that Tiger owns them? They're messin' with fire. In fact, he could probably get a little A2M from Tim Finchem's daughter and they would still have no choice but to STFU! Clearly they don't realize how good they have it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...v=ap&type=lgns

WTF are you talking about? DId you read the article? Paddy was the one about to get the penalty, while he was taking five fucking strokes between two of Tiger's! Paddy admitted he was slower than the rules, and if you were a fucking golfer which i hope to fuck you're not you'd know that the rules of golf are a pretty important part of the game.

PGA says they almost penalized Paddy for being slow.
    Tiger says he would have hated to see that happen.

And you post crap.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Tiger was critical of the ruling to put them on the clock. The PGA didn't appreciate Tiger's comment and are gonna fine him some undisclosed amount of $, which is more symbolic than anything else. My point is that Tiger is so important to the sport that they should just bury that fine. Pretty simple.

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Tiger was critical of the ruling to put them on the clock. The PGA didn't appreciate Tiger's comment and are gonna fine him some undisclosed amount of $, which is more symbolic than anything else. My point is that Tiger is so important to the sport that they should just bury that fine. Pretty simple.
    No single player, not even Tiger, is more important than the sport. Tiger knows that, and the PGA is making sure everybody else knows it, too. Pretty simple.
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Steepdeepnlong View Post
    No single player, not even Tiger, is more important than the sport. Tiger knows that, and the PGA is making sure everybody else knows it, too. Pretty simple.
    edit - It's not that Harrington was taking too long. There's no question there. It's that they decided to slap Tiger's wrist for a little comment. And his influence IS above that kind of criticism;

"Tuesday, 17 Jun 2008
    As the U.S. Open playoff wore on yesterday, I just got the feeling that everyone on Wall Street was watching the battle between Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate. How could they not? It was like a second Sunday.

With action starting at noon and finishing past the close, it theoretically slowed down four hours of the trading day. Well, this morning, I got the hard numbers from our number cruncher Ariel Nelson.

Check this out:

Average New York Stock Exchange Volume, between 12-4 pm. (last 30 days): 781.5 million shares traded.

New York Stock Exchange Volume between 12-4 pm (yesterday): 709.9 million shares traded.

That's a drop in trading on the NYSE of 9.2 percent. In fact, it was the lowest trading day since the Friday and Tuesday that sandwiches Memorial Day weekend."

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    Dude, they've been playing golf tournaments for like, a hundred years before Tiger was even a sperm cell in his dad's woody, and they'll be playing golf tournaments long after he's gone. One slow day on Wall Street, how do you know it wasn't for Mediate?
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Steepdeepnlong View Post
    Dude, they've been playing golf tournaments for like, a hundred years before Tiger was even a sperm cell in his dad's woody, and they'll be playing golf tournaments long after he's gone. One slow day on Wall Street, how do you know it wasn't for Mediate?
    Golf would be gone the way of tennis were it not for woods. You don't bite the hand that feeds.

This is a pretty incredible analysis;

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/...863837,00.html

Harrington is butt slow. He takes forever lining up his putts and looks at two footers from all three sides.

They were put on the clock at the 16th tee.

Both of them, I might add. The warning applies to the group. There's a lot to be said about this, but at the end of the day, it is the rule, and Paddy's not the type of a guy that would say anything, let alone blame the official or the rules of golf.

Tiger relishes the battle, let's be clear about that. These guys were on pace for a 4 hour round (quick). Sure, it's a rule, but the official didn't really HAVE to do that.

He knows damn well that the theater would be much greater if he had someone (like Paddy) that could give him a run week in and week out. I'm pretty sure he made it crystal to the PGA about this without giving a rip about the fine.

It was Paddy's responsibility to keep his composure, and he takes responsibility for that. It just didn't have to be that way.

And what about that 8 iron from 182? Talk about stepping on a guy's throat.

Weren't they the final pair? What's the rush? Oh, yeah, almighty TV.

Tiger should have slipped a hundred in the official's pocket, a la Rodney.

Tiger is not a dumb guy. I'm guessing he knew he'd be fined for what he said but just didn't give a shit. Better to try to use some of that influence and go on record than to just button up, regardless of consequences. I'm sure Tiger couldn't care less about the fine and nor should you.
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Tiger should have slipped a hundred in the official's pocket, a la Rodney.
    bing bing bing

we have a winner!

PGA tour doesn't give a shit about pace of play, and Tiger's been on both sides of it. When he's playing JB Holmes he's pissed at the slow play, when he's playing Paddy(who he likes) slow play is no problem.

The only people who give a fuck about the pace of play are the networks, because it messes with their precious schedules.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    bing bing bing

we have a winner!

PGA tour doesn't give a shit about pace of play, and Tiger's been on both sides of it. When he's playing JB Holmes he's pissed at the slow play, when he's playing Paddy(who he likes) slow play is no problem.

The only people who give a fuck about the pace of play are the networks, because it messes with their precious schedules.
    Agreed...almighty TV wins everytime...do you think they planned "tv timeouts" in football games in the rules? HA!!!!

Anyway...either way, clock or not, Paddy shouldve been able to keep his composure and play solid golf. It got in his head. This is the main reason Tiger wins soo much...his mental game is soooooo far above everyone elses its insane. When Tiger loses, he beats himself, usually.

5 wins this year? Yeah Tigers slipping HA!!!! Guy apparently has to win a major each and every year or he's "slipping". Who else has won 5 tournies this season alone? Shit 3??? cmon...Tiger is the M. Jordan of golf, there is none better.

If the rules don't apply equally to everyone then what you've got is a farce, not a sport.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Tiger/Paddy is above the rules.

Think of it like this...

Consider that the last day of a PGA tournament is similar (in the NBA) to the Game 5 of a 5 game playoff. Consider that the last couple of holes (in this case with Tiger & Paddy within a shot of each other) is similar to the last couple of minutes of the 4th quarter of that game 5 with the two contenders within a bucket of each other.

With that understood,

The officials will tend "to let the teams play" and let pass some of the infractions that would have little influence on the outcome. That's not to say that if the shooter gets hacked on the way to the bucket that he should not go to the line... That's to say that the officials are more permissive with the incidental contact that might otherwise end up in a change of possession.

It's funny. As I was watching the end of the tourney with my father, we both pointed out how they were running the box adverts on the bottom of the screen while they were still playing.... We remarked on how disgusting it is that the PGA eats out of the networks' hands left and right.

Didn't even know about the time until I saw this... Up until Tiger's 8 iron death shot, it was one of the greatest rounds from 2 players I've witnessed in a while.

When a group is out of position related to the group in front of them they are expected to do everything they can to get back into position. The tournament officials will monitor a group to see if they are making progress to get themselves in position. If they are continueing to stay out of position they will be put on the clock regardless of which group they are. The group in the middle of the field is usually chastized more because they are holding up the rest of the field. Once on the clock the whole group is being timed and subject to penalty. Having been in the situation of being put on the clock it is a very unnerving feeling. Even being aware of the rules and the fact that the amount of time allowed to play a shot is generous you start to rush and question your routine. Pace of play penalty doesn't account for the amount of shots taken each stroke is timed on an individual basis.

Interesting to note, that as I understand it, the last time someone was penalized for pace of play was 1982

And yes the PGA and the USGA have the biggest balls of steel related to any other sporting organization. I think it falls under the underlying premise of PROTECTING the GAME. None of the other ruling bodies make that kind of committment to their sport. They tend to adjust their values based on public acceptability and marketability.

Most of you are all missing the point of my post.

I think we can all agree that enforcing the slow play rule is important. My point was that Tiger's comments directed at the official were benign. Furthermore, he's Tiger. For the PGA to fine him for making the comments, shows a lack of respect on the part of the league.

Herr Dockter may have nailed it in saying that Tiger likes the challenge and probably doesn't give a rats ass what the PGA thinks anyway. I give a rats ass for entertainment purposes only. It's like watching an ant (PGA) take on an elephant (Tiger).

More fodder for you all:

....Woods said a report saying he had been fined for his comments about the rules officials was not true; although PGA Tour officials never announce fines and rarely comment on them, vice president Ty Votaw confirmed that Woods has not been fined....

Contrast with this report Monday:

....CHASKA, Minn. (AP)—Tiger Woods will be fined by the PGA Tour for his public criticism of a rules official after winning the Bridgestone Invitational, a tour official said Monday......

Balls of What?????

I think it went something like this

PGA Tour: Tiger we're fining you for your comments

Tiger: No you're not

PGA Tour: You know you're right, we're not going to fine you
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

I won't completely dismiss that motivation, but you could also contend that it's not fair to the rest of the field to let them consider their shots with greater care. I didn't watch this tournament; sounds like those two were well beyond everyone else, so probably wouldn't have mattered. But golf people are such sticklers for adhering to the rules no matter what that it's not hard for me to believe that this was just a case of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Sometimes I think you guys are some of the smartest people on the web, other times I wonder if you were shaken as babies.

I have nothing to add other than I saw Tiger last night. I was leaving the health club as he was pulling in driving his complimentary Buick. Actually he wasn't driving some other guy was for him. Should have stuck around to see how many tools bugged him while he was working out. I'm not a huge golf fan, but this guy is the real deal. My 7 year old daughter thought I was the coolest Dad on the block last night when I told the family.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...