Change road crankset from double to triple

I am thinking of changing my Ultegra road crankset from a double to a triple. The reason is that I want low and high gearing but I want smaller steps between the rear cogs. I am currently running a cassette which is closer to a mountain bike cassette than a road cassette and the gear differences are too large. There are currently three positions for the front derailluer. Will the triple crank setup work with these three positions, or do I need a new front shifter also?

If your brifter can do three throws, then you don't need a new FD.

Have you considered a compact with a mountain RD? I think you can pick up a 12-28 rear. Coupled to a 34 front, you'd have more than enough gear for the steep roads and still have the 52-12 for the downhills. It's not that uncommon and they may even make conversion kits for double cranks that allow you to keep your cranks and just get new rings (different BCD though?).

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    If your brifter can do three throws, then you don't need a new FD.

Have you considered a compact with a mountain RD? I think you can pick up a 12-28 rear. Coupled to a 34 front, you'd have more than enough gear for the steep roads and still have the 52-12 for the downhills. It's not that uncommon and they may even make conversion kits for double cranks that allow you to keep your cranks and just get new rings (different BCD though?).
    I am currently running a 39/53 front and a 11/27 combo I put together out of an 11/23 and a 12/27. I like the Idea of a 34 front as that would give my quad tendonitis a break. The problem is a 52/12 will spin out too fast. I would like the whole range of gears, but I think only the triple will keep the steps between them small enough. Thanks for the advice on the Shifter and Derailleur .

Quote Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
    I am currently running a 39/53 front and a 11/27 combo I put together out of an 11/23 and a 12/27. I like the Idea of a 34 front as that would give my quad tendonitis a break. The problem is a 52/12 will spin out too fast. I would like the whole range of gears, but I think only the triple will keep the steps between them small enough. Thanks for the advice on the Shifter and Derailleur .
    52-12 will spin out too fast? You do realize that at at 120 rpm (which isn't ridiculous) that's already 41mph.

Yeah, I'm not too sure I can spin 120 for any length of time, but bombing down the mountain passes, I often cannot pedal fast enough. I would think I go more than 40 on our steep roads, but my weight (220) has a lot to do with it. The weight is also why I want the low end. I'm not fat at 6'-4 1/2", but I'm no gazelle either. I want all the gear range, without too many large steps between them. My bike was fine for years, but in the last two I have developed tendonitis and I need to spin more on the steep hills.

Front derailluers for triples are different than for doubles. The area that pushes on the chain reaches down lower on the inside to get closer to the smaller chainring. A double will shift a triple, just not nearly as well. The good news is there's not much difference between the expensive high end models and the cheaper low end ones. Scout out Craigslist, you can usually find a decent one for not much money.

you will also need a triple compatible rear derailleur
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    you will also need a triple compatible rear derailleur
    just our of curiosity what's the difference btwn a dbl and triple compatible rear derailleur?
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by madturtle View Post
    just our of curiosity what's the difference btwn a dbl and triple compatible rear derailleur?
    Longer cage to suck up the chain slack occurring with 30-53 chain rings.

Damn, this is getting pricier than I had hoped it would. My bike is an older Ti Bianchi Megatube, so its an alright bike, but I do not know if it is worth it. The parts would be crankset, bb, two derailleurs, cassette, chain, and maybe a shifter. I think it is too much. Thanks for all the info. John

I'm going to have a new take-off triple crank + BB available for sale soon; Shimano Octalink. I think it's a 30/39/52 tooth setup. I haven't gotten the bike yet, but it's a touring bike, and I'm putting a mountain bike crankset on it (22/32/44) for the ultra-low gears.