Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Full ACL Tear

i turned it off at night, just to uncomfortable. i kept it on for a good 8 hours during the day, taking breaks of course.

that will put you at least 3 weeks ahead of those who don't use it. i couldn't believe how much motion i had compared to those i was doing pt with.

look into it dude.
    you sketchy character, you

Originally posted by frozenwater
    FART!
    I meant the organizer victim.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Red face

I concur with Buster.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    that doesn't sound so bad. I WILL ski before this season ends...then when it does end, I'm going to SA or NZ for some pow.
    Don't forget that little pass called Tioga that gets nice and tasty around the end of May. See you there!

Originally posted by altachic
    that will put you at least 3 weeks ahead of those who don't use it. i couldn't believe how much motion i had compared to those i was doing pt with.
    I had it on the first one, didn't on the second. Actually got the flexibility (extension and flexion) back faster when I didn't have it. :shrug:

Originally posted by Big E
    I had it on the first one, didn't on the second. Actually got the flexibility (extension and flexion) back faster when I didn't have it. :shrug:
    For these things it really depends on the person. Some people do just fine without them and others can get their ROM back without them.

Chances are the reason your 2nd one was faster was that you knew what to expect as far as pain and how far you could push yourself physically and mentally.

I went though both mine without a CPM. I don't really remember the first as it was 10 years ago, but the second, I was off crutches after my first post op check @ 4-5 days and had full ROM after about 1.5 -2 weeks. Back to work at 3 weeks working football preseason at the college.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

North of South, South of North, West of East
    That Sucks, Ty!

But on a different note, you and Mrs. Shoe have any kids yet?
    My first was a result of being "laid up" (and that's too bad an alternative) for a ski season.

Sooooo.....
    Either shoot straight, or be careful, your choice.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

i was in mine about 20 hours a doy for six days. by the second day i was getting out of bed without crutches to go to the bathroom, get ice, ect. back at work in two weeks.

i'm pro cpm for sure. it's sick when you max it out. you can slow it down to almost unnoticable speed for sleeping.

Obviously you need to talk w/ the surgeon about this, but the cadaver isn't a cure all either. In order to avoid infections and such, they have to irradiate the cadaver ACL. This ends up doing quite a bit of harm to the graft, so it's not as strong as it was before the poor guy keeled over. And while the initial rehab seems to be quicker (mostly as I understand it because you're only rehabbing one thing - the ACL - not two things like ACL + patellar/hammy), the graft doesn't reach full strength for something like 2 years.

This is just my understanding...
    ...and I'm sure you're first-hand experience gave you an understanding that is far better then mine. I concur fully.

At the same time, I've heard repetitively that your ACL is never as strong afterwards, even if you do take part of a living ligament from somewhere else on you. Just something to think about, and, of course, consult with a trained professional about...

BTW, how's yours, Big E? All healed up now? Gonna make it out to Jackson and/or Utah?
    Last edited by Ubersheist; 09-17-2004 at 12:55 PM.
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

Originally posted by Ubersheist
    ...and I'm sure you're first-hand experience gave you an understanding that is far better then mine. I concur fully.

At the same time, I've heard repetitively that your ACL is never as strong afterwards, even if you do take part of a living ligament from somewhere else on you. Just something to think about, and, of course, consult with a trained professional about...
    people tell you lots of stuff. i've heard that, i've also heard the strength is = once the graft matures. what i read mostly about cadaver, which was backed up by my surgeon, is thay have a higher rate of failing, i.e. not 'taking'. and over time they become 'looser'.

when i told my doc the #1 goal was having a stable knee for the rest of my hopefully long life of skiing, and pain during recovery, recovery time, how much work it takes to get back were all secondary. he said the PT graft was the best chioce for me.

it really is all about what your surgeon thinks fits with you, your goals, and how mcu you are willing to let it affect the next 6-9 months of your life.

If you want some up to date medical information on well researched surgical interventions, I often go to the "Cochrane Collaboration" website. These are all peer reviewed studies (I'm sure Len can help with any medical jargon).

I've put a link to one summary I found: http://212.49.218.203/newgenMB/ASP/D...p?docNo=189646

(Hope the link works)

Good luck, Tyrone, and do your exercises!

sage words from Basom.

Basom hit this one out of the park and is 100% right on this one.

Don't get a big head
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Oh Shit Ron I'm so sorry to hear this. This really blows. Wow, what a day on TGR. This is shitty news. I feel for you. If I was a skier way back in '01 when my ankle broke, I could say I can totally relate. But I still kinda can so.....don't worry there will be a winter for you again. You'll recover quickly, though, I guarantee it. Lunch is already riding 60 miles a day, and it's 3 months after his surgery. Good luck!!!

Sorry to hear about that Shoe...but you will be back in no time!!!

Thumps!
    "All I have in this world are my Balls and My Word"...

bummer my man. Do what Markus did...ski and bike all year before surgery.

There is a really good knee person is Salty...Dr. Marlow Global or something like that.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

I feel for you man the same thing happened to me. Tore mine and didn't even know, thought i had just sprained it. Turns out that it was torn after i finally got a MRI because it kept going out on me. Get a top rated sureon and good luck. Work hard on the rehab.

Unhappy

Sorry that you too have joined this particular club, Ty. Wasn't it enough to just be in the Ron club?
    There's some really good knee advice on this board. It's amazing how many maggots have had this done. We're an aggressive lot.

I concur with not getting a cadaver graft, or at least thinking long and hard about it. In addition to the altered collagen tissue and reduced tensile strength from irradiation, an allograft is usually not recommended for your very first ACL replacement for other reasons as well (especially in the young and healthy): http://www.orthoassociates.com/ACL_grafts.htm

I must admit I was very envious of a guy who was doing rehab the same time I was. He was able to do everything sooner with his allograft than I was with my auto. For the first couple months. After that, our progress seemed to even out and, in fact, my ortho said the cadaver graft actually takes longer to fully strengthen compared to using your own. It's just that there's so much less inflammation and trauma to the leg with the allograft that people think they're ready before they really are. It's evidently well documented that cadaver grafts get blown out more often since people mistake the relative lack of pain for strength.

If there's anything I can do, let me know. (I can supply you with instructions for a pretty bomber cast if you just can't take it anymore sometime in the season and you want to get out on the slopes for some mellow cruising.......

Oh and Johnny Gun, I hope your news is good.

Re: Full ACL Tear

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Saw my ortho this afternoon....Diagnosis:

Complete ACL tear.
    Medial meniscus tear.
    Bone bruising

Next appt. Oct. 13th to see the surgeon.

......you guys might not hear from me for awhile, because this computer is about to get thrown out my window while I ransack this room....then I'm drinking.......fuck.
    FUCK, man. that sucks. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.
    and we´ll be eagerly awaiting your return to the slopes.

Originally posted by Stoysluttie1
    bummer my man. Do what Markus did...ski and bike all year before surgery.
    That is so damn tempting.

It's the coldest day since last winter here today.....farking damn anticipation....

edit: thanks for the links endless and mrs. roo..
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Yeah Endless
    patellar tendon for life beyotches