Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Full ACL Tear

Damn Tyrone, sucks to hear that. I don't know one way or the other, but if it were me, I'd just have the surgery and get it over with. As many have said, spring turns can be in your future. Best of luck to ya man and heal fast.

You'll be even stronger upon your return. Have some fun doing other things untill then. A few extra months of summer won't be that bad. I'll come down there and do a MTB ride or two with ya.

Unhappy

Damn Ty, that sucks. Can't add much to what's already been said, there's waaayyyyy too much knowledge about this on here. I'd be interested to hear about whatever it was Kreitler was doing, too.

And damn Punani, forgetting about me and altachic too (she helped on the Utah mini, right?). I'm hurt.

Ty get the surgery,

You would really risk further injuy to the knee if you do not have it fixed. Things like further mensicus damage or tears to other ligaments or worse damage to the surface of the joint if you go out and ski hard on it, or get into a situation like your doc said, no fall zone and the knee gives out, you'd be luck to get away with only further knee damage. I know so many others have already said this and there is alot of knowledge on this board, but get it done. The one season you miss will be well worth it when you have a strong and stable knee that will last you the rest of you life. If I can do anything from here please ask.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

welcome to the party. its not a very fun party, and no one is dancing.

At least you know whats up and can now make a decicive move. its tough, but once focused on the greater goal of having a healthy knee that will last you untill you are old and grey the smaller things seem less shitty. giving up some or even all of this season is a small sacrifice when you see the big picture.
    For me, as it seems it is with many here, my injury has almost been a source of strength. i have been very focused, very dedicated to getting back stonger. Its an interesting perspective to look at things through a funnel, with everything in your sight pointed to the final goal. I can only imagine the feeling of accomplishment i will feel when i'm back on the snow. i'm excited for that, and i'm excited about the process and the path i need to take to get there.

do me a favor though shoe.... stop running around on turf, play outside if you have to.

I feel for your pain, T. (literally) my surgery date is Nov 12, rehab race!

the hardest realization was to just deal with it and schedule the surgery so close to the season.

they have the power to rebuild. they can take part of that overengineered patella and replace that weak ACL with it anyday as far as I'm concerned.

from what I've read this is a very ACL positive community. get your encouragement here, and ignore any pessimistic people you may talk to elsewhere (they are out there).

this is beatable.
    As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.

Originally posted by scoober

the hardest realization was to just deal with it and schedule the surgery so close to the season.

yup....this is hard. Fall is my favorite time of the year....it's getting colder here, ski mags are arriving, ski movies will soon be here, new skis will soon be here...everything is still in motion for a killer season...except now this.

I'm probably going to end up getting surgery ASAP. Deep down I know its for the best...just coming to grips with it and accepting it is hard.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Unhappy

man that sucks. can we have an ACL Summit somewhere this winter for all of us that will be rehabing knees. vegas or something? i'd be there...

That's some kick me the nuts news. that sucks !!!!

I hope things go well during your recovery. You will ski again ... soon very soon.

But I must say you have me really worried about the condition of my knee. I've been riding the bike and pumping iron to try and improve my knee strength. Which I feel it has to some degree. I get the MRI on Oct 13 and I see the Surgeon on Nov 3. Keeping fingers crossed.

Best of Luck, Ty
    Smoke'em If You Got'em

Shit mang, sorry to hear that!
    The quicker you get it done the sooner you can start to heal/rehab.
    On a happier note:
    Your Bro Models will thank you for the lack of early season rock damage
    Signature removed for non-payment

NOOOO!!!!!

ERRRR!!!!

I feel for you dude...

Get the info on the super-speedy surgury!!!!! I think Lunch had it done, too. He's a good friend of Divegirl's. Get her to get you in contact with him ASAP, because he doesn't check the board all that often. If you MUST go with a conventional ACL surgury, make sure you get a cadavar's ACL, not one of your own. A dead guy's good ligament cut down the recovery time a whole lot, too!

I can't imagine the season without you, dude... FACK, FACK, FACKING FACK!
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

Originally posted by Ubersheist
    If you MUST go with a conventional ACL surgury, make sure you get a cadavar's ACL, not one of your own. A dead guy's good ligament cut down the recovery time a whole lot, too!
    this is my plan and this is what i would recommend after having a patellar graft on my first reconstruction. screw getting cut up any more than you need to.
    Last edited by xboat; 09-17-2004 at 09:48 AM.

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! I'm so sorry!

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said already here. Just know that if you need someone to complain to, you can vent all you want to me - I know what you're feeling!! It truly sucks, truly. For a while, I think it's perfectly legitimate to be the angry guy. You can take that energy and put it into serious PT, and come back better and stronger, like I like to think I have.

Best of luck with the next appt.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Thumbs down

Fuck

"Do the interns get Glocks ? "

Tahoe gets killer snow late season. Those Bros will be chargin' the deep before you know.

Heal up quick!

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    heh....I'm still in the process of rehabbing my shoulder after popping it out in July. Just recently graduated from therabands to free weights...and yes, it bites

irul -- Dr. Marter. Kings doctor. Coulda went for Heiden, but he wasn't available until November.

thanks everyone....going out on the bike now while there's still an hour of light left. Got a century (www.auburncentury.com) with 10,000 ft of climbing to ride this weekend
    Marder has got a great rep...even w/o the Kings. You got lucky to get him.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Originally posted by Ubersheist
    If you MUST go with a conventional ACL surgury, make sure you get a cadavar's ACL, not one of your own. A dead guy's good ligament cut down the recovery time a whole lot, too!
    Obviously you need to talk w/ the surgeon about this, but the cadaver isn't a cure all either. In order to avoid infections and such, they have to irradiate the cadaver ACL. This ends up doing quite a bit of harm to the graft, so it's not as strong as it was before the poor guy keeled over. And while the initial rehab seems to be quicker (mostly as I understand it because you're only rehabbing one thing - the ACL - not two things like ACL + patellar/hammy), the graft doesn't reach full strength for something like 2 years.

This is just my understanding...

FUCK!

Good luck, man. Horrible news... hope you heal up quick. In the meantime, live vicariously through this board. It'll give you that "get ready for spring" motivation.

Unhappy

Originally posted by Punani
    Sorry to hear that Shoe....Positive vibes coming your way.....you''ll be back before you know it.

[Cue twilight zone theme] I remember Buzzworthy's warning- those who organize a Summit sit out the next season. Rusty Nails, Buzzworthy, and now Shoe. Here's some preemptive positive vibes for TGR and Frz for the Jackson Summit!

WHOOOAA!! Did I really say that??? I did sit out the first Mini, but damn, I now feel dirty and ashamed. I should have never said such a thing. I feel bad now.

Shoe, I do hope all goes great for your upcoming recovery. It is a hard one, but rehab hardcore did wonders for me. Kill it!!

Good luck man!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Originally posted by Buzzworthy
    WHOOOAA!! Did I really say that??? I did sit out the first Mini, but damn, I now feel dirty and ashamed. I should have never said such a thing. I feel bad now.
    FUCK!

Originally posted by frozenwater
    FUCK!
    Don't make it 4.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Get the surgery Ty...

I had a fast and fairly easy recovery. I was in PT no later than 5 days outta that crazy machine that works your knee for 4 days straight, that thing gave me 3 weeks more motion than the ones who didn't use the machine for the first couple days post surgery.

I went to PT twice a week for 3 weeks, then once a week for 2 weeks, then i was on my own, it went so fast. You're healthy and things should be fine, depending on that bruise.

Best of luck with this. Keep that attitude positive as much as you can.
    you sketchy character, you

Originally posted by altachic
    Get the surgery Ty...

I had a fast and fairly easy recovery. I was in PT no later than 5 days outta that crazy machine that works your knee for 4 days straight, that thing gave me 3 weeks more motion than the ones who didn't use the machine for the first couple days post surgery.

I went to PT twice a week for 3 weeks, then once a week for 2 weeks, then i was on my own, it went so fast. You're healthy and things should be fine, depending on that bruise.

Best of luck with this. Keep that attitude positive as much as you can.
    that doesn't sound so bad. I WILL ski before this season ends...then when it does end, I'm going to SA or NZ for some pow.

I've seen that crazy machine that works your knee post surgery on some ACL websites. It looks....crazy. Can you actually sleep with that thing?
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Originally posted by Buster Highmen
    Don't make it 4.
    FART!