Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yet another ski boot question

so in doing some poking around for a new pair of alpine boots I'm finding that the majority of big mountain/race boots are narrow lasted(98mm) which makes my foot feel really sad because it tends to prefer a 102mm last as I have wide feet.

I'm assuming that with the performance boots you want the lower volume to make the boot more responsive, and I know you can punch out hot spots, but 4mm seems like a ton
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

I'm with you brother. Fucking narrow ass race boots kill my feet, I have like 7 toes at the end of a ski season. I'm considering saving money for the rest of the summer to get a pair of the Sally 120 flex custom shell boot, which can supposedly change to a 106mm forefoot last. Might have to take out a loan though...

I'm with you guys.

I've finally found a pair of boots that my feet don't freeze in, they don't fall asleep, and they ski well. It only took 18 years.

Why does Mrs CA get race boots, and I don't? It's not fair dammit.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

3mm per side is not that much to punch really. (98 to 104)

that works for pancake shaped feet, but hard to make more room upwards (brick feet like CA's)

The salomon custom shell stuff, just allows any store monkey to make a boot wider (like a good bootfitter can anyways) but still won't change the instep height.
    for more instep height you have to start with thinner socks, footbeds, bootboards, move/remove buckles, and grind. Bit of a mission, but doable.

Also salomon has a mission RS 12 this year
    http://www.salomonsports.com/us/#/sk.../mission-rs-12
    120 flex, and 102 last, should be a good starting point?

IMO it doesn't matter what a boot is marketed as. The few wider boots I can think of(at least 100, not sure exaclty how wide though) that are quality are Solly Missions(102), that Dalbello 4 buckle boot is 100 or 102, and I can't think of any other atm but I will remember more later I am sure..

Maybe I just need a better bootfitter. My local guy keeps telling me that I need to be in a sz 28 boot and there's nothing he can do for me. My Ghosts have falcon lowers, which should theoretically be thick enough for a grind...

squirrel: maybe post a new thread with your location and see if anyone has a bootfitter in your area that can help you a bit more. Also adjustments can take time, CA came in to see me a few times before it was 100% better

I am also not a fan of the Salomon custom shell boots, if you have a frankenfoot, especially in the toe box area then you still have to punch the different plastic there... and because you have to go through the process of the CS shell for the insert areas it actually takes longer in my opinion... at least if you fit your boots tight. For the recreational skier who likes an upsize and has comfort on their priorities list then maybe the toe box will be okay for widening the boot from 98 to 104ish. Also, for the most part... grinding boots for extra width is sooo 1990, the plastics these days take a punch quite well.
    What do you mean why do I have duct tape on my skis!?! It improves edge hold, increases pop, adds durability, and most importantly, boosts horsepower by like 30%... what? your skis don't have horsepower?

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    so in doing some poking around for a new pair of alpine boots I'm finding that the majority of big mountain/race boots are narrow lasted(98mm) which makes my foot feel really sad because it tends to prefer a 102mm last as I have wide feet.

I'm assuming that with the performance boots you want the lower volume to make the boot more responsive, and I know you can punch out hot spots, but 4mm seems like a ton
    I'm in the same boat, I have had all kinds of work done to widen boots. Still having trouble. Think I could use some more instep as well. let me know if you stumble upon anything.

I have the same duck feet as everybody else in this post. I tried on a bunch of boots and ended up with a Nordica SpeedMachine 14. I thought other boots would feel better when looking at the specs, but this was the best starting spot for me with a bootfitter. I dont' think I am quite there to call them done, but unfortunately I have moved so that trips to that bootfitter are no longer possible.

Anyway - my high instep & wide feet liked this particular boot.

^^^ I ended up in the Nordica Speedmachine 12 a couple of years ago.

Best fitting boot out of the box for my wide-ass puppies as well. The only problem is now after putting 100 days in them or so, the liners are gargabe and packed out BAD.

Yes, I am fitted properly (sz 27 with a 10.5 street shoe). No, the liners are not good .

Trying to decide if I should get a new, lower lasted boot and suffer until they are molded and punched properly, or just get a Powerwrap liner and keep my Nordy's.
    You should have been here yesterday!

I have feet that are wide at the ball, high instep but thin at the heel and ankle. Size 10/10.5 street shoe. I skied a few years in 27 Salomon XWaves but ultimately the shells were WAY too boxy. Had good luck using Intuitions but still... Last year I picked up some Impact 10s. Salomon reduced volume everywhere but the forefoot and made each shell size a few mm larger. I was able to go to a smaller (26/26.5) shell and they are really good right out of the box. After skiing a few days I punched out the forefoot which was super easy and the plastic there is plenty thick enough. The fit at the ankle, heel and instep is great as is.

Don't hesitate to buy something that fits great everywhere but the ball and punch 'em out... buy a heat gun and DIY.

Powtron, I was super psyched on my Powerwraps when I replaced my beat out stock liners in the Xwaves. Damned good investment of $115 and way better than the stock liner ever was.

Try Dalbellos 12 or Surge with Intuition. 120 flex, 101 last. I needed the width and instep. Took several punches and a reheat (calling the store heater crap is an insult to crap), but super happy. Came from older xwaves.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Same problem for me as well. Am considering a pair of 120 tecnica dragons(100mm forefoot). Anybody weigh in on these?

do you guys not have boot fitters in your area?

try some on, and find the closest, and let a bootfitter get them 100% right. Almost no one will fit a boot right away.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    ^^^ I ended up in the Nordica Speedmachine 12 a couple of years ago.

Best fitting boot out of the box for my wide-ass puppies as well. The only problem is now after putting 100 days in them or so, the liners are gargabe and packed out BAD.

Yes, I am fitted properly (sz 27 with a 10.5 street shoe). No, the liners are not good .

Trying to decide if I should get a new, lower lasted boot and suffer until they are molded and punched properly, or just get a Powerwrap liner and keep my Nordy's.
    get the powerwraps. Nordy liners do not hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    do you guys not have boot fitters in your area?

try some on, and find the closest, and let a bootfitter get them 100% right. Almost no one will fit a boot right away.
    I have been to some of the best in the east..........FWIW: I have only stumbled on 1 that really know what he is doing & 99.9% of what he does is race (94 mm / 150 flex ) race product. The rest have been a bunch of Joeys...........

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    I have been to some of the best in the east..........FWIW: I have only stumbled on 1 that really know what he is doing & 99.9% of what he does is race (94 mm / 150 flex ) race product. The rest have been a bunch of Joeys...........
    I'm going to be getting some boots in the fall. Any places in the east to avoid? Was thinking Inner Bootworks might be a good place to start off at. I've done some searches and have found some info but not a ton. I'm honestly dreading the whole process.

I second irips assesment of ec bootfitters. Most of the guys at the resorts are just ski bums who are only interested in making a check befor going skiing or only interested in fitting spandex clad stick chasers in boots completely useless for freeskiing. Dayrll and Jason at High Adventure are about the only guys I'd use, but the only problem is while they can get anything you need boot wise, they just don't have a huge selection.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

In my opinion every serious skier needs to understand as much as possible about boot fitting in general and their own feet/needs in particular. Any boot fitter has to rely in large part on your input - no one else can feel where your boots are tight/loose and no one else can decide for you how you like 'em to fit. Some folks are happy in a comfort fit and can rip that way; others like their boots really snug even if they don't race or ski 100 days/yr.

Go to the best fitter you can find but expect to provide as much guidance as you can.

Orthos? (custom orthotics to replace the stock foot beds). If you have wide, flat feet, like me, your foot may not have enough arch naturally to fit into a boot right and to absorb shock properly. I if skied my race boots without them, my naviculars would certainly be crushed.

Same for high arches, I think. If I don't have my footbeds in my arches collapse and the ball of my foot widens, not to mention without 'em I am sliding around. Good footbeds are a basic part of fitting a boot for my feet.

For EC, I heartily recommend Dan from Stan & Dan's in North Conway. Awesome, awesome guy.

Daryll and Jason are a bunch of good for nothing bums, hanging out with that shady L8APX character.

(they are nice people)

I did question their judgement hanging out with L8APX. That guys super shady

I have the same sort of issues with boot fit. Just bought the Nordica Speedmachine 14's - fit great and dropped me a half size from the ancient Lange XR9R's i'm retiring. They still need a little work - I'm taking them to what's-his-name over in Frisco...