Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for an all mtn/charging ski

Alright, At the moment i have a pair of OG Armada JP vs Juliens. There a really fun ski in pow and awesome to land switch in. However, i only really use them after a big dump. I'm looking for something that is stiff enough to rip when it hasn't snowed in a while so can handle the bumps as well as do well in pow when it snows. I'd also like something that i can land switch on on deep days.

I am considering:
    -Rossignol S7
    -09/10 Volkl Gotama
    -Atomic Bentchetler (think it might be too big though for all around)
    -Salomon Czar
    -I'm open to other suggestions too.

I am 6' 75kg and i'd rate my skiing an 8/10. I know this type of stuff gets posted a lot so for that i'm sorry but i have no idea on what to get. Also i ski in NZ so no massive pow days really. Although i am going to USA in summer but i might buy a pure pow ski for that like Line EP Pros ect.

Cheers,
    Dave

Oh yeah and im wanting something 105mm+ really

Quote Originally Posted by skibackwards View Post
    I'm looking for something that is stiff enough to rip when it hasn't snowed in a while so can handle the bumps as well as do well in pow when it snows. I'd also like something that i can land switch on on deep days.
    Cheers,
    Dave
    Dave, damn, a stiff twin tip that can rip hard pack and still slay pow? To me that seems unpossible, but my buddy is your size and weight and rides K2 PE's when there isn't much fresh snow and Obseths when there is some pow on the ground. All the skis you mentioned sound great for soft snow, but I am pretty sure some Dynastar LP's or Mythic Rider's will rule them in anything but pow. Let's see what the peanut gallery thinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

search 192 Bro's by PM Gear. They'll never let you down. Solid.
    ""wash uffize drive me to firenze".

well when i say stiff, i mean like Gotama stiff, a lot stiffer than the BC jib skis like Bents. And to clarify i dont mean hard pack. I mean like once pow get tracked out and turns into hardish moguls.

In Gormsby's day,people would go out,spear in hand and support the local economy.
    Enough of this namby pamby mumbo jumbo.
    Go Kingswood.Maybe in an extra flex.
    err huh huh spaghetti?

I've really enjoyed the Scott P4's. They're roughly gotama-ish flex wise, a tiny bit wider, and they can be had for fairly cheap. They run short, for whatever thats worth.

Im newish here, but ill bet you will get a lot of suggestions for dynastar legend pro etc..

Obsethed would suit you I would think..

ON3P Wrenegade from iggyskier won't land switch in pow as well as a bent, but it does everything else better then what has been mentioned, and can still kinda ski switch.

www.on3pskis.com

bump, so what other skis are in the gotama category i should look at. And for the on3p suggestions...id love to but im not paying $100 shipping ha

$100 for shipping and the skis will still be cheaper than many other options... also at least they have a full twin unlike most of what has been mentioned. I'd thow out a few more your way... they may mainstream-ish... but they rip... 189 4frnt VCT or the new VCT turbo (tip rocker)... Line Mothership... Dynastar Huge trouble... but what length would you be looking for? I'd be considering those Wrenegades... they get it done.
    What do you mean why do I have duct tape on my skis!?! It improves edge hold, increases pop, adds durability, and most importantly, boosts horsepower by like 30%... what? your skis don't have horsepower?

Almost forgot... Armada ANT... if your loyal to armada then this should be a no brainer.
    What do you mean why do I have duct tape on my skis!?! It improves edge hold, increases pop, adds durability, and most importantly, boosts horsepower by like 30%... what? your skis don't have horsepower?

The ANT looks sick, but the length bothers me. I really want a 185 ish which is why gots look very appealing, but not many people seem to have ridden the new ones to comment on them

SuperBROs.

Sack up.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

yeah bros are the same deal as on3p. Not sold in NZ

Sure they are.

here
    http://on3pskis.com/

and here
    http://pmgear.com/
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    If you need to use this ski on hard pack days around Wanaka, you'd probably want to take the S7's & Bentchetler's off the list. Is this going to be your everyday, go-to ski? If so you might also want to reconsider the width you're looking at. 100-105 For an everyday TC ski is about as big as I've found I want to go.

Do you need to buy locally or are you happy to ship them in?

Quote Originally Posted by jerr View Post
    If you need to use this ski on hard pack days around Wanaka, you'd probably want to take the S7's & Bentchetler's off the list. Is this going to be your everyday, go-to ski? If so you might also want to reconsider the width you're looking at. 100-105 For an everyday TC ski is about as big as I've found I want to go.

Do you need to buy locally or are you happy to ship them in?
    Yeah well this will be my TC ski really, I'm thinking something about 105 will be perfect as it can still rip when theres new snow, and if i get something stiff enough i can ski everyday comfortably on it.

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    ^^He's kind of right but there are some pretty good compromises. I skied a gotama for a few years on TC. It is a pretty good compromise. As I remember it, it goes sideways nicely and is also a pretty capable ski, just don't expect it to be easy on icy days.

One of the skis that's always interested me for TC is the Blizzard titan argos. Worth a look. I think racers edge should be able to get these.

The Kingswoods Archetype are a pretty good option too. They aren't just local hype. They ski pretty nice and you can talk to Alex about how you ski and what you want it to do and he can help you with your choice of flex. He might even be able to hook you up with a demo.

Good luck,
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

Line Motherships !!!

2010 Blizzard answer. Twin, small tip and tail rocker, 110 underfoot. Stiff enough under foot to crush hardpack and soft enough in the tip to rip pow.
    If things seem in control, Your just not going fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jerr View Post
    One of the skis that's always interested me for TC is the Blizzard titan argos. Worth a look. I think racers edge should be able to get these.

Good luck,
    If a twin was not one of your requirements the new argos would make a great everyday TC ski. Similar to the XXL, but easier to handle and only gives up a little of the XXL's stability.
    If things seem in control, Your just not going fast enough.

HSFR 87's. I'm 200# pretty hard charger. They're twins, pretty sweet in pow and can still rip when it's not new snow. I skied them for a week straight in summit county last year with only 2 days of new snow and had no complaints. If I were in CO, they'd be an everyday ski, but they don't quite cut it on EC ice. So the downsides are not great on ice or in short tight turns.

Also, I've never tried Gotamas, but I've read the FRs are stiffer than them.

Oh, and backcountry has a bunch of them, and they'll prob be on tramdock again, so they're definitely worth a try.
    Last edited by SkiboyJ; 08-03-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: find them cheap

The new Goats are rockered slightly from what I have seen... it seems to me these would have a good amount of overlap with the Armadas you have, though not total overlap (though I have not skiied the new goats yet just a guess). Check out the BD Zealots... reasonably stiff, very light for its size (110). Once again, may overlap a bit with the Armadas. Never skiied the Motherships, but they are supposed to be the stiff as hell.