Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should I try kiteboarding?

Am I stupid to start learning to kiteboard? I had surgery last November to repair a large type 2 SLAP in my right shoulder. I hit the PT pretty consistently and now am feeling stronger and better overall than I have felt in many years. It took a long time (5+ years) to get diagnosed and finally repaired. So I think I had a lot of atrophy and was way out of shape in my upper body.

I used to windsurf regularly back in the 90s. I’m now 38 and want to get back into it. It seems that kiteboarding would be less stressful on the shoulders compared to windsurfing since you are basically always hooked in. I don't need to catch any big air or do any sort of unhook tricks. Just flatwater cruising.

I'm starting to shop for a trainer kite now, a slippery slope. Am I just asking for problems down the road? What are the risks?

yes............
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I'm thinking of getting into this for days when I can't get to the mountains. It seems mildly safer than kayaking in the sense that you don't usually die doing it.

The biggest dangers are blunt force trauma from hitting stuff on shore, getting the cords wrapped around your limbs and losing them and of course compressed vertabrae from landing wrong.

Other than that, it's pretty safe.

Im going to learn. It looks like a lot of fun and you don't need as much wind as windsurfing. A few of us in Boston are interested... maybe we can get our expert maggot trainer, Whillywhit out for some free beers?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

i would definitely trade beers for kite skills/knowledge. I'm in Boston.

I found this site : http://www.kitemare.com/Kitemares.htm

Sounds like things can go catastrophically wrong pretty quickly with a kite. I'm definitely going to pay close attention to the release mechanisms.

Yes, Yes, Yes. single best thing i've done with my life other than marry my wife and learn to ski. learn to kite correctly, and you can enjoy many a backcountry day under a kite in the snow. i've had days where i got 2+ hours of skinning in the backcountry until the wind came up and rode for another 3 under the kite.

its a blast, its a challenge, and it WILL change your life.

oh, and it is much less pressure on your shoulders than windsurfing. you will have no problems once you learn to relax out there. most injuries are from overexertion caused by a "death grip" on the control bar or unhooked moves which are entirely user option.

It seems mildly safer than kayaking in the sense that you don't usually die doing it.
    Kayakers usually don't die. I don't know the stats, but I highly doubt it's any more lethal than skiing (especially backcountry skiing), cycling, or kiting, particularly if you aren't pushing the envelope and running insane shit. It's like any other sport, you can never be totally safe but at the same time it's as dangerous as you want to make it. Guys who ski fall-you-die lines or paddle V-VI water everyday are a lot more likely to die than your average, more risk adverse participant.

I've been going back and forth on this all spring/summer. I windsurf and have been watching guys with kites a lot lately. Personally, here's what I've found:

Pros:

- don't need as much wind
    - don't need as steady wind (kites seem to have a bigger range and handle gusts/lulls better)
    - possibility for massive air
    - the gear packs down really small

Cons:

- I already know how to windsurf and already have all the equiptment for that.
    - I think in general you can go faster on a windsurf setup (I regularly blast by guys who are kiteboarding).
    - Although you can get massive air on a kiteboard, it seems to be all in the "pull up" variety instead of the "pull across" variety you get on a windsurf setup (if you know what I mean).
    - It seems that unless you're really good, you need a buddy to help you get your kite going.

I'm probably gonna stick with windsurfing for the forseeable future, but who knows? If I had the extra $$$ laying around and nothing better to do on light wind days, I'd probably already be doing it. For what you're describing (flatwater cruising), I'd definetly try it.

I was surprised how easy it was to learn to kiteboard as a life long windsurfer.
    After one hour practicing flying the kite, one body drag across Bailey's Harbor and one full day riding, I'm confident enough to head out.

It is nice to have someone help you launch the kite, but you can easily teach your sig. other or have another sailor assist you.

Rather than two boards 6 sails, 3 masts and two booms, you can carry two kites and one board.

It's not as fun speeding across the chop on a small wakeboard compared to windsurfing, but the air potential makes up for it.

The hardest part for me is staying upwind while riding fakie.

DO IT.

PS. I'd much rather be windsurfing on a 4.0 to 6.5 day, but once the wind dies to 10-15 kts I'm inflating my 15m kite. (I'm 200lbs)

You don't have to quit windsurfing to kite, It's a great light wind supplement.

I got into it for a couple of years, never got much good, my $0.02 worth:

Pros:
    Being on and in the sea is fucking brilliant
    Fun thing to do to while away the summer suckage

Cons:
    Wind drops
    All the kit faff is a total ball ache
    Expensive sport
    Gone fishing

Kiting is much easier on the shoulders and body in general than windsurfing. The "up force" from a kite takes a lot of the pressure off the body whereas windsurfing uses resistance and pressure to create speed.

Take some lessons and use your head and most dangers can be minimized. Buy newer five line kites and life will be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by powski3 View Post
    Kayakers usually don't die. I don't know the stats, but I highly doubt it's any more lethal than skiing (especially backcountry skiing), cycling, or kiting, particularly if you aren't pushing the envelope and running insane shit. It's like any other sport, you can never be totally safe but at the same time it's as dangerous as you want to make it. Guys who ski fall-you-die lines or paddle V-VI water everyday are a lot more likely to die than your average, more risk adverse participant.
    Guess I should qualify my statement to mostly class IV+/V runs which can easily have deadly consequences. Four kayakers have died in Colorado in the last couple months just to give you an idea. Competent intermediate boaters on class III aren't really engaging in anything too risky.

I think the medium of water is inherently more dangerous than snow just due to the dynamics going on if you're trying to make that comparison. Also, the percentage of people skiing true "you fall you definitely die" terrain is lower than you think, at least here in the states.

Take a lesson. With your windsurfing background, you'll pick it up quick. Assuming you can wakeboard...

Quote Originally Posted by powski3 View Post
    Kayakers usually don't die. I don't know the stats, but I highly doubt it's any more lethal than skiing.......paddle V-VI water everyday .
    It is riskier than skiing. Ask anyone who actually does both. And whats class VI?
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    And whats class VI?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewa..._of_whitewater
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

uess I should qualify my statement to mostly class IV+/V runs which can easily have deadly consequences. Four kayakers have died in Colorado in the last couple months just to give you an idea. Competent intermediate boaters on class III aren't really engaging in anything too risky.

I think the medium of water is inherently more dangerous than snow just due to the dynamics going on if you're trying to make that comparison. Also, the percentage of people skiing true "you fall you definitely die" terrain is lower than you think, at least here in the states.
    Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at. As dangerous as you want to make it, like anything else. I mean how many skiers died in avalanches last year? Weren't there at least four in-bounds deaths last year? Just saying I wouldn't not take up kayaking because you think you're going to die. Highly unlikely with proper safety and decision making.

Exclamation my fingers are burning

Quote Originally Posted by bsideindy View Post
    i would definitely trade beers for kite skills/knowledge. I'm in Boston.
    beers for kite lessons ? Let's do it. I've got a few vids you should watch to get things familiar before you graduate from the lil trainer kite.
    Kitesurfing is a blast. I've been hurt and have toned it down over the years. All the jumping and crashing takes it's toll over the years as I get older and more apt to get hurt but just like skiing or snowboarding , you don't have to go BALLS OUT every time it's windy enough to boost as high as you can.
    It's really zen to just get out on a surfboard and practice gybing and slashing waves. Downwinders are the best. in OBX it's unReal, go 7 miles downwind, just riding for hours and no crowds.
    Sure, It's fun to ride a 130X40 cm twintip all juiced up and ripping on a 10 meter kite and jumping like a nut but it's just as fun to go back and forth (the BNF method) and work on toeside transitions and tech stuff that won't leave you with a stiff neck for 3 days.
    I'm just saying this because alot of people looking to get into kiting think it's all super AGGRO and geared toward younger stronger less breakable humans. I know guys 50+ that rip but they know the limitations cuz a kite can seriously fuck you up if you wanna get crazy with all that power.
    and yeah, I'll still windsurf when it's blowing 40+ but that stuff is so much more work that flying a kite in 20 knots.
    this is an old pic, taken on November 20th, we went snowboarding in NH the next day.
    I recently got some waterproof headphones and a case for an ipod, gonna tech it out for those 2-3 hour zen sessions in the ocean. I know a guy that has it all dialed for tunes and says it's like "the next level" for old fart lameass surfy wave kiting.
    edit
    check out this video, if you can watch it on an iphone you can spin the screen as the kite turns, pretty trippy.
    Kitesurfing is so fun. It's like explaining what it's like to ski nipple high powder to someone that only knows skiing groomers. dude, face shots all day. You just can't stop grinning

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOsPSvxhqfQ"]YouTube - Cabarete July 2009[/ame]
    Last edited by willywhit; 07-30-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Everybody knows the coolest sport is the sport with the highest likelyhood of getting killed.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Everybody knows the coolest sport is the sport with the highest likelyhood of getting killed.

I'm Hugh Conway and I approve of this message.

If was Hugh Conway I would have approved of it more if it was spelled correctly. But hey.

not all that Phunny

It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I dunno about that

I still get pissed when I think about guys like Shane,Doug Coombs and Craig Kelly.
    among many others, friends of mine.
    and a few experienced kiters that got really UNlucky

and a few that make dumb mistakes, like my deceased cousin Chris from Truckee, left behind a wife and 2 kids

RIP Shane
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/3888353"]Shane McConkey from MSP's Focused on Vimeo[/ame]

kitesurfing ain't for sissys, at any level
    I'll see if I can find that video of the knucklehead that got flung across A1A in Deerfield Beach in a crazy squall and survived to make an ass of himself on national tv. A black eye for all the smart responsible kiters around the world.

edit;0
    here it is, looks like kevin removed the original video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUj6WKUpHZE"]YouTube - 60 Knot Jackass - The Kevin Kearney Story[/ame]

and on an UP note, as kitesurfing is evolving , the comps aren't just spinny flippy tricks. Boardercross has been around for years and now Course Racing is getting really serious. I was always into course racing and just drag racing for fun on windsurfers. I just like going really fast and there's very few windsurfers that can win a straight line drag race against a seasoned kitesurfer.
    Plus, I'm a big guy, I stick to the water pretty well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLCaQR2Trg"]YouTube - Day 4 - PKRA St Peter Ording 2009 - Palmolive Kitesurf[/ame]
    Last edited by willywhit; 07-31-2009 at 07:57 AM.

I've been jealousy watching the kites down the bay for awhile now. I'm on N & 7th, and with p-bay in walking distance I feel like I'd be a fool not to give it a shot. With graduation only two weeks away I can't afford to throw down the funds to pick up all the kiting gear right now, but I'll definitely take you up on the beers for lessons if I get the opportunity Willy. By the way that video on MassKiting is sweet...that guy with the dreadlocks really tears it up down there. My roommate saw him when he was out at his gf's house on Saquish (Dux Beach) a couple weeks ago.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/4919040"]Pleasure Bay on Vimeo[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    You are an internet blowhard, just. like. me.

Thumbs up crazy frenchman

ya, that's my buddy Joe Knee from France, great guy. Musician, scientist, cool dude with no 'tude. He smashed himself into some big rocks years ago, horrible kitemare, tons of rehab and he came back stronger. He's french but has a place in Brasil and speaks the portuguese pretty good. Good crew at P Bay. Ask for Kurt or T or Neto among others, they all know willy whit.
    I'll have to come over (to get that LP CD) and pound some beers and watch kite videos at your crib in southie.
    Those guys are always planning a shindig and swilling beers, lotsa smart funny smartass kite kooks to meet in Boston. Even the owner of Wachusett beer is into kiting and likes to sport a keg or 2 if we get a party started.
    Kiting Rules !
    http://www.beantownphoto.com/g/kite_boarding

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVYvWNLHLfU"]YouTube - Bruna Kajiya ranked 2nd PKRA 2007 - Brazil Kiteboard rider[/ame]