Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

telluride bumming beta

any insight anyone has to offer. the town is super $$$ so where do/have people lived, ouray, ridgeway? is the terrain worth it or would a town like jackson serve my skiing/living/working needs better. looking between the two now and trying to weigh the differences, any subjective or objective info appreciated.

go to Jackson

both towns are expensive. Most will say Jackson, and Jackson is a $ick town, however I would vote T-ride I thinkk. Just love the vibe. Two sweet places to be choosing from.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

bring a key of blow with you to tride, and you wont have to worry about $$
    Top of the Food Chain for White Trash America

Never bummed at either hill, but have been to both a fair amount.

My two cents - if you even think you can swing Telluride, make it happen. Taking nothing away from Jackson, Telluride is truly a special place in the world.

If your lucky enough to score a "Woodzy" cabin up on the sunnyside be sure and stock the basement.
    make bumming more fun ya
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Live in silverton, commute over Ophir pass

bump to top as we are in it together. thoughts on town vs mountain village vs willow hill? is it possible to find a small one person apartment downtown and split it two ways or are they fairly rare. Biggest thing for me between T Ride and Jackson is the annual snowfall. the averages say jackson gets about 150" more a season, can anyone comment on if the difference is actually that big/ noticeable. seems like lately theyve both been getting hammered.

ya ya

thanks for the tidbits. i guess employment opportunities in tride seem like they would be really limited and that is something i am worried about affecting my ski time.

another factor for me is the biking scene around tride, whats it like, is there a freeride crew out there and anything built up or just a bunch of singletrack?

In England, 'bumming' is a rather juvenile slang term for anal sex.

This thread title is therefore funny.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Quote Originally Posted by jpcski View Post
    Never bummed at either hill,
    Ooooer, misses.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    In England, 'bumming' is a rather juvenile slang term for anal sex.

This thread title is therefore funny.
    Let's not get you going about 'fanny packs' then.

To the OP - snow cave, Bear Creek - muy barato

Quote Originally Posted by IskiOK View Post
    bump to top as we are in it together. thoughts on town vs mountain village vs willow hill? is it possible to find a small one person apartment downtown and split it two ways or are they fairly rare. Biggest thing for me between T Ride and Jackson is the annual snowfall. the averages say jackson gets about 150" more a season, can anyone comment on if the difference is actually that big/ noticeable. seems like lately theyve both been getting hammered.
    Yes, Jackson does get much more snow than Telluride. Jackson's snow also holds up much better due to its higher latitude and colder temps. However, El Nino is coming back this winter which could make Telluride $$$$$$$. On a side note, Silverton does get comparable snowfall to Jackson.

Another interesting tidbit: The San Juans have arguably the highest avalanche danger of any range in the Rockies.

Having previously lived in tride, I can tell you that you won't regret being there. I've only visited Jackson a couple times, but it has way more/better snow and terrain and being a much bigger valley seems like it would have more job opportunities. The sidecountry skiing at both resorts is world class, but as mentioned above, the Telluride area usually has a very sketchy snowpack.

I wouldn't recommend living in Ridgway if you plan to ski at Telluride frequently, the 30-40 minute drive seems much longer than it is on narrow roads and dallas divide can be extremely sucky in the winter. However, Red Mountain Pass and Silverton are other ski options from there.

If you are looking for just a season of ski bumming, I'd live in (or very close to) the town you will ski at. For Telluride, that could include Mtn Village, Lawson Hill, Ophir, San Bernardo, Sawpit, and Placerville. For Jackson, living over the pass in Victor or Driggs seems very doable.

As for biking, I hear teton pass has good stuff, but have never been. Telluride had some great renegade downhiller trails with some crazy drops coming into town from the top of the gondola. But that entire side has been closed to bikers. Some sweet new singletrack on the otherside though, and the gondi is free so if you're a downhiller you can always hit the ski runs and access roads.

Wherever you go, go early before every other bum shows up to get the jobs and housing. This year the housing might be easier than the job- classifieds in the paper last month had about 4 jobs and 40 for rents. Or, go woodsy, tride doesn't get very cold.

good advice above.

for the past two decades, i have pretty much thought that jackson was the only place i would go for a season like this. and it's insane. but given that, there's a decent case for T-Ride:

1. early / late season pass is avail for silverton -- when you add silverton and Red mtn to the mix with all the new terrain they opened last year and will open this winter at T-Ride, it might even be more burly skiing than Jackson. tough call.

2. el nino could be the kicker for T-Ride.

3. had a ski partner who lived in T-Ride for 3 years (400 days of skiing). he is a monster on the DH bike, and there are definitely serious trails in T-Ride, tho i don't know anything more than that. silverton also has a very serious DH mtb course -- feel like they might not have run it this year, but don't have firm info on it.

4. the more i think about it, the more i would suggest living in ridgeway or even ouray, and do most of your skiing on red mtn / silverton, but i think what folks above are saying about the drive to T-Ride might be an important factor. depends on how much lift-served vs. backcountry you are seeking, and how much you want to pay and how much party town you want.

5. another thing to consider -- when you get a 10-day high pressure system and the snow starts to suck for a short window, you are a very short trip to desert biking in Moab and surrounds.

6. season is shorter at jackson than silverton (not sure about relative season length in T-Ride).

either way, you winter won't suck.

great stuff, thanks for the knowledge, tough calllllll

Either one would be killer, but so would a dozen other places. I usually prefer to live right in town and park the car. 1 DUI would pay a shit load of rent.

Tride tore out all the downhill MTB hits on the frontside and closed off access. Silverton is now (as of the last 2 seasons) only doing one weekend of downhill in the summer (lame). However, the proximity to Durango, Fruita and Moab riding is a huge plus.

When the snowpack is good, the BC and sidecountry is awesome (Bear Creek, Red Mountain, Silverton, Ophir, Lizard Head, Molas etc.), but as has been stated, the snowpack is usually sketch.

Ridgway is an awesome little town (esp w/ Orvis and all the hot Tride lifties that hang out there in the winter) but can be an hour+ drive on shitty days. Placerville and Sawpit area are a good compromise. If you're dirt poor then Rico may be a consideration (which also has some kick ass BC). Fuck Ouray. Stay away from that town unless you're gonzo about ice climbing.

Not sure about JH, but Tride's season goes from Thnxgiving to first weekend in April regardless of snowpack. Silverton Mt's unguided has dwindled down to about 28 days a year (more than half of which are early season and can be sketch), which are generally a cluster fuck, esp in the Spring. BC can be good from mid Oct through mid June on a decent season.

I spent five years in telluride then moved up here to Jackson, i agree with most of the comments. Jackson gets waaaay more snow then Telluride, and other then this past mid winter conditions, the tetons and surrounding mountain ranges have a much more stable snowpack then the San Juans. The biking on Teton Pass is great, several different freeride trails and lots of xc trails also, as well as several other trails not on the pass. The one thing about both towns, is there is not shit for jobs right now. The bad economy has definetly hit both towns. If you do live in the Telluride area and want to ski at the resort, I would definetly not live in Ridgway, as was stated before it takes a while to get to the ski area and dallas divide can be a real mess in a storm. Both are great places and you will have a blast in either town, but the snow is better in Wyoming. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Bigmtnsledskr; 07-30-2009 at 10:59 PM.

bump to top, always looking for insight

They both rock if you ask me! I live in T-ride and would strongly recommend NOT living in Ouray, Rico, Norwood, or Ridgway. They are just too far as a regular daily winter commute. They look close on the map but beware. If you are OK with missing tons of powder mornings, driving on icy mountain roads, and having a very limited apres-ski life doesn't bother you... than go ahead... but they are not that much cheaper actually.
    Plus, you can't put a price tag on the convenience of rolling out bed, putting your ski boots on in your living room, and then walking to the lift.

You obviously have Champagne tastes. I just hope that you aren't on a PBR budget!
    Last edited by DropCliffsNotBombs; 07-30-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    They both rock if you ask me! I live in T-ride
    I've been looking around on craigslist to get an idea, but what would you think is a good range for how much rent usually costs for a 1br or 2br place in or around town?

decisions decisions

Having lived in T Ride the past two winter, my advice would be to live in town. The convenience of rolling out of bed and walking to the lift shouldn't be overlooked, especially considering the drive you'll be making from Jackson to the resort everyday. Things are expensive here, but everyone seems to get by and the community is super generous to the younger crowd(youll score some great stuff out of the free box). Rent will range from 500 to 800 for your own room, I live in a stairwell and pay 380. Jobs usually pay pretty good though. Like said above, the earlier you get to town, the easier it is to find housing and jobs. Hope that helps.

ahhhhhhh