Big day at The Wedge -- July 24, 2009

Found this on surfline:

I was impressed with the surfers, make sure to watch the SUP starting at 3:25

That SUP wave is one of the most insane things I ever seen
    What was that guy thinking
    Looked like 3 reef Wedge ........

Why god why?

Did any of those surfers get their faces sand-blasted off?

Actually the SUP guy had a pretty good ride.

fuck stand up

damn that was breaking big, it made the news all the way up here.

Woah! I thought the wedge was closed to surfing... Guess it's open now!

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Quote Originally Posted by RaccoonFace View Post
    Woah! I thought the wedge was closed to surfing... Guess it's open now!

okbye
    Only early in the morning, and late afternoon. Otherwise it is blackballed
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Ahhh, what a good weekend of surf. Still trying to get my picts onto the web, but will post one or two. Way overhead for basically 48 hours which was just tons of fun. Biggest sets were pushing DOH based on the picts we have of just average waves.
    He who has the most fun wins!

This weekend was truly awesome. DOH surf, clean conditions, water in the low 70's......It really shows you just how awesome Orange County can be when everything is right.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

huntington was firing for the comp....shit was almost maxxed out slapping the bottom of the pier.

Good friday and weekend. US Open was fun as was the crazy body surfing in laguna on fri. Wedge is too big for me but I might have to drag Joey Bag O Dicks out there to practice for the next big day. What do you say Joey?
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Cottons and Barbedwires were awesome both Saturday and Sunday. They turned the swell into something manageable. Some of my buddies surfed Big Corona. Did anyone hit up any of the Crystal Cove spots? This is the sort of swell that can make them go off, but I decided on San Clemente instead.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

What I do not understand about the Wedge (for those who stand up) is why bother when the swell is going off everywhere. But, eh, I don't live in SoCal. Santa Cruz was just off the hook on Saturday. The 4.8@14 NW swell just added to the south and put GDs in the 12-14 face range - breaking top to bottom.

Oh, and instead of then exploding on the sand, it realed off for 100+ yards. Paddle back out was a bitch. Nice thing there is the super wide channel - make your waves and no need to duck dive. Just a long long paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    Good friday and weekend. US Open was fun as was the crazy body surfing in laguna on fri. Wedge is too big for me but I might have to drag Joey Bag O Dicks out there to practice for the next big day. What do you say Joey?
    Almost ready as the hand is about healed. Probably should just wrap it in duct tape, and say 'fuckit'.
    --Vandals

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    What I do not understand about the Wedge (for those who stand up) is why bother when the swell is going off everywhere. But, eh, I don't live in SoCal. Santa Cruz was just off the hook on Saturday. The 4.8@14 NW swell just added to the south and put GDs in the 12-14 face range - breaking top to bottom.

Oh, and instead of then exploding on the sand, it realed off for 100+ yards. Paddle back out was a bitch. Nice thing there is the super wide channel - make your waves and no need to duck dive. Just a long long paddle.
    It's hard to even call the wedge a surf spot. I have no interest in it, it's way out of my league. A great place to break your neck. I guess some guys want practice for Pipe. Jamie O'brien was doing some crazy airs in the shorebreak.

When the wedge is going off, there are plenty of other places in Orange County that are going richter and are actually make able. Some were calling the biggest sets 25 feet on the face. That is pretty huge for socal.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, a bodysurfer died on Friday.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/bo...o-rocks_28929/

bummer about the bodywhomper at the wedge.

i thought i read somewhere about a surfer having problems around the dana point area. dana strands or doheny?

anybody have picts or have seen picts of some of the LJ reefs like big rock? i'm guessing big rock would have been thick, meaty, and scary!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    bummer about the bodywhomper at the wedge.

i thought i read somewhere about a surfer having problems around the dana point area. dana strands or doheny?

anybody have picts or have seen picts of some of the LJ reefs like big rock? i'm guessing big rock would have been thick, meaty, and scary!

I have a sneaky suspicion that the Dana Point dude try to hit up old Killer Dana. I have seen people out there before, but with the jetty, rocks, and high surf, I'm sure it was fucked!!
    --Vandals

I was down there to check out the open and saw the wedge on Sunday, nowhere near as big as the vids posted for Saturday.. Still an amazing thing to see, considering I live in inland Canadia
    http://www.betacuts.com
    - Custom vinyl decals -

Quote Originally Posted by Boarding Medic View Post
    That SUP wave is one of the most insane things I ever seen
    What was that guy thinking
    Looked like 3 reef Wedge ........
    He was thinking-
    "I'm gonna get a sweeter ride than all these other chumps, and I'm gonna do it on a canoe."

And he did. That was the best ridden wave I saw in that whole video.

Quote Originally Posted by rdennhs View Post
    fuck stand up
    agree, fuck stand up, and fuck you too.