Broken Collarbone

HI All

I broke my collarbone a couple of months ago. When my doc saw the 4 week x-ray he said that it was too misaligned and needed pinning. So I went to see a surgeon who initially said if it is no better in a fortnight then he was going to operate. A fortnight later it was no better, so he said to go and get a bone scan. Another two weeks passed and then armed with the bone scan, and the letter from the scanner saying that there was no evidence of healing he said to wait a month and get another scan.

I am not sure what to think, is he stalling becaues we are in france and he is about to have a months summer holiday? should I push for the op, should I wait? Does anyone have any experience in broken collarbones? I have just qualified both as an offshore rope access worker and as an international mountain leader, both of which need my shoulder in tip top shape, so I am not able to earn at the moment either.

Cheers for any advice

pics of the x-rays and scans here
    http://philingle.com/mountain-bike/collarbone-issues/

Geez, 8(?) weeks already, that seems long time to not show any sign of healing, but I don't know anything about collarbones. If it were me, I'd be insisting someone do something instead of waiting around to 'see if it heals'.

*shrug* But that's just me.
    Last edited by KimD; 07-27-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Good photos!

I think you will have some down time ahead of you. I don't know whether you should be patient and wait for the French Docs to plate it, or have it done in the UK on the NHS. The NHS could be quicker because their waiting times have massively reduced in the past few years.

I don't know if the injury was recent enough to avoid needing a bone graft. I think when they plate straight away a graft might not be necessary. I was fixed after a year and needed a graft.

If you leave it you might be able to work, but it will be weaker, shouldering a big pack etc can be sore. Mine didn't repair, I worked a chainsaw for a couple of days, sledge hammered down a wall, surfed, guided a Peru treck and climbed on mine when it was bust..... it was sore and weak and I was grumpy.

I don't think it will get much worse and it will tell you what you can or can't do with it.

Don't ask your Docs to tell what you can or can't do. Because: a) they may not have much of a clue what you are talking about (one of my Docs did not know what kayaking was!.
    and b) importantly, the Doc will record saying no you can't do your sport/activities... If you do have and accident your insurers will use this record as an excuse not to pay out..... so maybe don't ask the Doc the question.

That said you should be gentle with it for a month or two after getting the plate on.

Some threads, I think there are also a few others on clavicles:
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2399966#post2399966"]Broken Clavicle - Decided on surgery & titanium plates - Page 2 - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121852"]WWMD: Shoulder surgery on Wednesday, when will I ride again? - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    Last edited by Sparky; 07-27-2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Gone fishing

I have been scheduled in for an op on the 13th of August, so fingers crossed for some good meds and a quick recovery.

Good stuff. I hope it goes well.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

Quote Originally Posted by flingle View Post
    I have been scheduled in for an op on the 13th of August, so fingers crossed for some good meds and a quick recovery.
    Ask the gas man for a self administered morphine pump for when you come round.

Although judging by the stuff you ski, with your cojones you'll be walking out the place the moment you come round, and without analgesics!

Finally got it pinned a couple of days ago.
    http://philingle.com/uncategorized/pinned-it/
    i was pretty keen on the idea of morphine but all I got was a couple of paracetemol and a glass of water Still, it doesnt hurt much so no drama. looking forward to getting back on my bike asap.