upcoming trip to lake Ontario

Going to visit some family near lake Ontario in a couple weeks, we are planning on doing some salmon/brown trout fishing on a charter. But I'd like to also wade some streams that might be off the radar as far as tourists go. I know mid-august is out of season for the big runs of salmon/steelies/browns in the rivers but there must be some decent productive wading waters in the area.

If anyone has some info it would be appreciated.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    Going to visit some family near lake Ontario in a couple weeks, we are planning on doing some salmon/brown trout fishing on a charter. But I'd like to also wade some streams that might be off the radar as far as tourists go. I know mid-august is out of season for the big runs of salmon/steelies/browns in the rivers but there must be some decent productive wading waters in the area.

If anyone has some info it would be appreciated.
    what town/area?
    Harvest the ride.

My sister lives in Minetto. I don't mind driving a little if it means decent fishing. She lives within a few miles of one or two boat launches on the Oswego river above the big dam and near the rt. 481 bridge in Minetto. There are decent Bass in the Oswego this time of year But I would like to do some wading since I won't have my kayak with me.

WhiteRoom Skis

Looks like the Salmon River is the spot I should head. It sounds like the Skamania strain of rainbows will be in the river this time of year(run upstream earlier than the other steelies) and maybe even the beginning of the salmon run although I guess they don't show up until Labor day usually but maybe a few early runners could be around as I will be there until the 17th.
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/37926.html

Guess I'll need to get few steelhead/salmon flies, some heavier tippet and heavier leader. Any suggestions on flies?

WhiteRoom Skis