Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Informal Poll: Doors locked?

When you go to bed at night, do you go through the house and make sure all the doors are locked?
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

I have 1 door, so yes.

There are 3 doors at my parent's house, I can hear if anyone comes in through the 2 on the first floor, it's the basement door that freaks me out...

doors locked at night, pistol clip in. I dont think anyone would try to get in but, never know. its as much a CYA insurance thing.

I make sure mine are locked, but i have a 3 year old kid and wife now. When i was single, it wouldnt have been odd to have an unlocked door.

If I remember. I live in Mo-town, the burbs, Ut...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Yeah, and for all of you with unlocked doors, could you post your address too? It's for a..uuhhh..neighborhood safety poll.

I don't even carry a key to my house. If I lock mine its to keep the wind from blowing the door open. The latch needs replacement.

Wife locks the door at night sometimes (which annoys me since I don't carry a key), and I lock the garage when I leave since the garage contains all the really important stuff (and the garage doesn't require a key).

My buddy's wife posted this as a facebook update:

Got home at 6:45 am from working the night shift. The garage door was open, garage door unlocked, and our front door unlocked. I came in and looked around and walked back to my bedroom to find 3 kids and a husband sleeping away. What is up with that? Please let school start. The husband needs to go back to work he's losing his mind!!!!

At first I didn't even understand what she was getting at. Then I started thinking.... am I the only one who doesn't lock my doors at night???
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

I'm lucky if the doors are closed.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

No, but I have a Komodo.

wife always does and locks me out- drives me nuts. Locks cars in driveway, too.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Absolutely. Last year, there were just shy of 800 murders where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    wife always does and locks me out- drives me nuts. Locks cars in driveway, too.
    Heh.. that reminds me... I never take my keys out of the ignition in my driveway, either.

We just went on a trip to Florida for a week and when we got home, I pointed out to my wife "See how I parked my truck right in front of the boat so no one could steal it?" (our boat stays in the garage, but doesn't quite fit, so the door has to stay open)

Then I realized my keys were still in the ignition of my truck......
    - Phunk

Growing up our family got locked out by a house-sitter who had the common sense to lock the place up when she left. Out of the 4 of us there were exactly 0 keys to the doors in the house. When we left there were definitely keys to the cars sitting inside of each car. The joys of growing up surrounded by woods... I miss it.

I've had to learn to lock doors and am now pretty good at it. I still resent the hell out of it.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

I dont ever lock my doors--even when i am not home. I dont even have a key. ha--i'm stupid!
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

It's seems better to leave them unlocked than to have to replace it after it's been kicked in.
    If someones bent on goin in, they're goin in.

I got Schlage keypad entry for the front door. I love it. No more keys needed. I used to leave the door unlocked in a crappy bay area neighborhood but now I don't have to think about it.

doors locked, outside lights on, alarm system on. (oh, and car locked in garage, bike locked in garage too.

My wife actually locks the screen door. A door you could probably get open by pulling it really hard, or knocking the screen out with about ten pounds of pressure, or maybe by cutting it with a pair of scissors, but she locks it anyway. I've tried to walk out the door with my hands full only to have to stop and put everything down just to fidget with the stupid, awkward, hard to reach switch. I think she's doing it just to piss me off.

Doors and windows are closed tightly and locked, as well as my car whenever I'm not in it, and put my external harddrives and memory cards in a safe if I'm gone overnight (not losing all that work EVER again). But my house was also robbed six months ago, so I'm kinda on high-alert about that stuff now...

everything always locked before bed.

FZ, they ain't kicking my doors in. Rigging the doors so they can't be kicked in (or would take a whole lot of kicking) is not so hard. Did it right away when I moved in. Now, spreading the doorjambs/studs with a hydraulic jack could still happen but that's REAL hard to prevent. They'll be breaking windows to get into my house and at least that makes a fuckload of noise.

I lock 'em. I don't know if I really have to, but I do anyway. I doubt anybody would get past the tripwires unless they've really been casing my place for a while. Seriously - I have tripwires set up around my property.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Seriously - I have tripwires set up around my property.
    For some reason that doesn't surprise me.
    - Phunk

I live in the country, down a long private driveway. We have a rottweiler and an english mastiff, both of whom bark when they hear/think they hear someone at the door. yet my mom still locks the doors, even when she's home. It bugs the shit out of me. I leave the keys in my ignition, so when i get home, park and walk up to the house it's so annoying to have to walk back down to my truck to get the house key.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Locked. It's a wife thing. She doesn't want to clean up after the shot gun blast.