Talk to me about Ogden & Ogden area riding

We're thinking of moving to Ogden. What's the riding like around there? What's the overall vibe like?

We all know about the skiing, of course (although it looks to be a bit of a haul to Park City -- I guess Snowbasin is going to be the go-to for a quick fix in that department). But the biking is something I haven't heard much about.

Quote Originally Posted by DerJaeger View Post
    We're thinking of moving to Ogden. What's the riding like around there? What's the overall vibe like?

We all know about the skiing, of course (although it looks to be a bit of a haul to Park City -- I guess Snowbasin is going to be the go-to for a quick fix in that department). But the biking is something I haven't heard much about.
    I'm not very familiar with the riding in the Ogden area but I'm sure it's not too bad. As far as the winter sports go, I'd much rather spend a powder day at Snowbasin/Powder Mountain over anything in PC. From my limited time in Ogden it seems like a decent area, there are good and bad parts just like anywhere, I'm sure someone living there will be able to give you more details.

the riding blows and the grass is way too tall.

as for the vibe: you can get vibed pretty hard if you want to; in the ghetto and at Powder. most mountain yuppies stay home and grill and drink, but there are some *decent* bars if you like mixing it up.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    the riding blows and the grass is way too tall.

true story
    Last edited by truth; 07-17-2009 at 06:32 AM.

Wolf Mountain = The Suck
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

There's the Bonneville Shoreline, which is your bread and butter every day, ride to the trail head, trail. Love it, lots of fun. Then a short drive up the canyon you have Snowbasin and a large trail system beneath it. The two can be linked together to make a 15 mile super downhill if your into that. Then you have the Skylines, North and South, which are huge alpine style epic rides for the hardcore climbers. There are also some trails around Powder Mountain that I'm not too familiar with. Good riding all around.

You guys are right though, the grass does seem a bit taller than usual. Must be all that late season snow and summer rain we had this year.

The vibe is pretty laid back. I like it, and I plan on being here for a very long time.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Thank goodness you chaps warned me about the tall grass. Frankly people uncivilized enough to ride through parks with unmanicured lawns are just not the sort one should associate with. These johnny-come-latelies ride 'bikes' with suspensions, brakes and other unmanly fripperies. Why, I bet they wear brown shoes mid-week in town!

Seriously, thanks for the info guys. It sounds like it's a place with a nice mix of everything.

Frankly people uncivilized enough to ride through parks with unmanicured lawns are just not the sort one should associate with.
    That's the truth, half these people don't even know the game of real Polo.

And yes TRF, Wolf Mountain marketing does suck, but I guess dodging horseback riders during the dh run keeps things fresh.
    bumps are for poor people

not riding related.

but snowbasin is WAY better than anything in PC, heck its better than just about anything in the country.

It'd be rad to have you guys in the (general) neighborhood! Never spent much time in Ogden proper but as far as access to great stuff without the SLC crowds (read: Cottonwoods) I think it'd be pretty sweet.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

I have been to Ogden a few times. The riding and skiing are great but I only had a small sample. The one thing I remember is skiing Snowbasin and then riding the Bonneville trail in the same day. Paradise. The trails below snowbasin are also amazing. Although the city of Ogden is a little ghetto it is in a kinda cool way. Don't plan on eating out much unless it is rancheritos or the taco stands around the park.

^^Yeah I found Ogden food to pretty much be the suck, bars were pretty lame too, but might be ok by UT standards^^

Pow Mow and Snowbasin kick ass though. can't comment on the riding, but lets be honest here, one of the best things about mountain biking is that there is great riding (xc at least) just about everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by hofman View Post
    Don't plan on eating out much unless it is rancheritos or the taco stands around the park.
    When was the last time you were here? It was either several years ago or you just suck at finding places to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    When was the last time you were here? It was either several years ago or you just suck at finding places to eat.
    Agreed. I spent the last year in NY, I ate at some damn good places while I was there. I constantly missed my Ogden restaurants, we've got good stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    not riding related.

but snowbasin is WAY better than anything in PC, heck its better than just about anything in the country.
    Totally beat me to it.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

And for gravity riding, Wolf Mtn isn't great but I think it has potential with some work.

I'm not fazed in the least by Ogden's supposedly ghetto reputation; after Baltimore and DC, my standards for "wow, this place is sketchy" have raised (lowered?) considerably.

I looked into some of the trails mentioned here, and it's looking very respectable indeed. Being a weekend trip away from Moab and Fruita sure doesn't hurt, and of course, there's WY, ID and MT within easy reach...

Big bonus: having a sizeable mag contingent to show me the goods (I've only met a few of you. Definitely need to work on that).

Here's hoping the gig comes through!

Good luck dood! What's the Mrs/Dr doing now? Is she funemployed/job hunting?

ogden's pretty cool but the locals are pretty ghey.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Good luck dood! What's the Mrs/Dr doing now? Is she funemployed/job hunting?
    She's finishing training and will be ready to head West soon. Happy days ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    ogden's pretty cool but the locals are pretty ghey.

Wishful thinking on your behalf?