Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stand up paddleboardin... the good life

It's amazing how far this has come. The Werner rep was at the Kern River Whitewater festival this spring, he was paddling one of those. He ran the slalom course and made *every* gate clean...it was unbelievable, especially since most kayakers couldn't do that. Later that weekend he was seen running a class 4 section of the river and he nailed it...again, it was unbelievable!

Good or gay?

I've seen a few around at place I surf at one dude is pretty good but most people outright suck. To be fair though it looks like its hard as shit to get in the right place to catch waves.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Seems like a big thing when I was in Hawaii last winter.

It's not so hard to catch waves. I rented a board in Hawaii and was riding these small waves after a few of hours.

I would think having a paddle would make it super easy to catch waves.

However, I'd think it would be pretty hard just to get out to the lineup standing up in anything of any size.

Never tried it tho so what do I know?

thats a solid class IV/IV+

striding does not equal stand up paddleboarding.

both are pretty impressive, though. however, I do think river SUP has an aura of fixie-ness to it.

Quote Originally Posted by the webguy View Post
    . . .

Real men windsurf...

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post

thats a solid class IV/IV+
    In what Florida?

That's a tubing run at best

FYL
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

Hugh Conway Guest
    when will this trend die?

Didn't Jeff Snyder run the Monkey striding back in the late 90s?
    Goofy as the day is long, but total badassery.
    Didn't exactly catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    when will this trend die?
    fkna!

Paddleboarding 4 people who cant surf.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Totally.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Totally.

You posting a picture of one of the greatest surfers in the world proves nothing. Laird could surf on anything. I guess I will have to explain my statement: Paddleboard = big fat ass log that is easy to get up on and requires hardly any skill. Maybe you should check it out.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Not sure about how it works on waves, but are you saying you could easily take it down a slalom course set up by Olympic champions on the Kern River and run it clean? What about ripping down The Wall with 6-8 foot waves with laterals coming at you on both sides? Dude got bored with kayaking and now rips on one of these boards...total badassery. Pretty damn amusing for us, too!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaskman View Post
    Not sure about how it works on waves, but are you saying you could easily take it down a slalom course set up by Olympic champions on the Kern River and run it clean? What about ripping down The Wall with 6-8 foot waves with laterals coming at you on both sides? Dude got bored with kayaking and now rips on one of these boards...total badassery. Pretty damn amusing for us, too!
    You are a telemark skiier, aren't you? RootSkiier flys his fag colours true too.

The average SUPer is 50, fat and kookolicious

You guys sure are fucking angry at something.
    If a dude's outside doing something fun, let it be. Might look a little queer because you haven't seen it before, but he ain't wrestling you down in a prison shower and forcing it on you.

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You guys sure are fucking angry at something.
    If a dude's outside doing something fun, let it be. Might look a little queer because you haven't seen it before, but he ain't wrestling you down in a prison shower and forcing it on you.
    maybe thats how they like/want it? personally id love to see a bouldering TR where SUPing was used for the approach just to read the comments.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    The average SUPer is 50, fat and kookolicious
    I need to try this...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Didn't Laird pretty much bring it to the haoles? We used to watch him do it nearly a decade ago at the Reef Break near his house in Point Dume in Malibu...

Dingleberry: SUPing may have made surfing easier but then again powskiing is a breeze now compared to the 80s for the same reason (wide & floaty.)
    Last edited by Tippster; 07-14-2009 at 01:28 PM.

One of the breaks I was at in Kuaui was full of Hawaiian locals on SUP's who were saying SUP has been around for years and its only taken off recently because Laird Hamilton is pimping it. One surfer was chirping about how the SUP'ers were hogging all the waves and a local chick told him to "ride his little board back to California".

Saw a lot of dudes out in the North Shore breaks on SUP's who were riding some hefty waves and lapping the break like they had a motor compared to surfers.

I'd say it's similar to the people who held out getting shaped skis because they already knew how to carve a turn.

SUP dude

Laird Hamilton out vibing some windsurfers

Last edited by powder11; 07-14-2009 at 02:40 PM.

BSS Guest
    Call me a haole or whatever but I never really "got" this. It was pretty popular back in Hawaii and I was reminded about it while kayaking out on town lake in Austin last year and saw a few guys paddleboarding. Looks fun though. Just another way to enjoy the water I suppose.

whatever floats your boat