Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Securing a on mountain job now? Revelstoke

I have a bit of time to kill before grad school and almost all of next winter wide open.

So I'm looking to line and work up in Revelstoke, BC. This is the dream. What would you all recommend for securing a job up there early on? I know this is what I want to do and I wanna get after making it happen asap

Thus far I fired off an email to hr there and looked at the legalities of a US citizen working in Canada. Has anyone been through this process before?

Thanks ahead of time

BSS Guest
    You're going to need some kneepads.

And a chinstrap.

Youd better get to Revi soon if you wanna find a place to stay for the winter cause the mountain has got No staff accommodation available for their employees.
    Just fucking point it and shut up

Good luck for a non CND to find work. why would a company go thru the paperwork, if they have lots of people looking that take less "work" to hire?

but call and ask them.

Revelstoke Mountain Resort may not open next year. They have pushed there opening date back to Dec 5th and are currently being heavly sued by Nick Faldo for defaulting on his signature golf course to be constructed at the resort... Best to look else where preferably in the US as no one in Canada will is allowed to hire you.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Revelstoke Mountain Resort may not open next year. They have pushed there opening date back to Dec 5th and are currently being heavly sued by Nick Faldo for defaulting on his signature golf course to be constructed at the resort... Best to look else where preferably in the US as no one in Canada will is allowed to hire you.
    Hes suing them for 120 grand, hardly enough to stop anything form opening! Dont spread bshit here man...
    http://www.bclocalnews.com/kootenay_.../49465432.html
    Just fucking point it and shut up

I wonder who else has not been paid too? I know that they did a bunch of layoffs for this summer. (people who where year round since day #1)

Doesn't surprise me at all that they haven't paid Faldo.

The bridge to the upper parking lot was closed for a good portion of the season because they refused to pay the engineering firm to sign off on it.

Casual, part-time, or temporary worker jobs are very difficult for Americans to find. Mostly because Canadians have first access to the job market. As US citizen, unless you have extraordinary qualifications, ( or some other special access ) there's really no chance that you'll find any legitimate employment at a ski resort ( or anywhere else ) in Canada in the time frame you envision.

The best option is to work hard through the summer and save enough money to spend three or four months in BC. You can do this without a visa and get the best of the season.

Rumor mill is saying it's for sale again. I think they might have problems even giving it away.

I work for a small ski related company that a lot of people apply at. The successful formula seems to be to find the job you want and then camp out in front of HR until they give it to you.

An American applying for general work in at Canadian resort this winter? No way, no how. Visas are not be renewed for foreigners here, let alone new ones issued.

Sorry man, but with the economy the way it is, especially in the interior of BC, I highly highly doubt it will happen.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Work hard now until then and just go ski in reve for 3 months.

thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll set my sights in the states. SLC area mountains are next on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by skiwithcharlie View Post
    Hes suing them for 120 grand, hardly enough to stop anything form opening! Dont spread bshit here man...
    http://www.bclocalnews.com/kootenay_.../49465432.html
    In a June 19th B.C. Supreme Court filing made by Nick Faldo Design (Overseas) Limited, the firm states that it entered into an agreement with Revelstoke Mountain Resort last May. The agreement would have seen Faldo’s firm design an 18-hole golf course at the resort, with Revelstoke Mountain Resort paying the firm $1.2 million USD in instalments.

According to the filing, the resort paid the initial instalment of $120,000 USD, but Nick Faldo Design alleges that Revelstoke Mountain Resort failed to make the second payment of $120,000 USD, despite “repeated demands” by the design firm.

Learn how to read, sounds like they owe Faldo 9 more payments of $120,000usd

one more good rumor that the place is in the shitter.

Contractors are being paid 60cents on the dollar for the work they completed...

I was in Rev last week and this news does not surprise me. Hopefully they spin the lifts this year.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

What I had heard was at KH the downturn is happening but there are still some sales, but at RMR a lot of people are walking away from deposits as value has dropped so much compared to the sale price.

one more good rumor that the place is in the shitter.

Contractors are being paid 60cents on the dollar for the work they completed...
    That happened last summer - the new Vancouver owners basically daring all the locals to sue them and never get local work again. what a fuking mess. And the useless local rag you won't hear a peep out of them

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    That happened last summer - the new Vancouver owners basically daring all the locals to sue them and never get local work again. what a fuking mess. And the useless local rag you won't hear a peep out of them
    I remembered reading an article and op/ed piece about this issue last year so I searched the Times Review page and it seems they have all magically disappeared.

Would a non Canadian citizen really not be able to get a job at a ski resort? Seem like half the staff at places like Fernie and Louise are Australian. Even Canada Olympic Park has hired tons of Australians in the past few years for guest services, retail, ski instructors, and lifties. In fact don't most ski resorts depend on foreign workers to work for minimum and a free ski pass? I would think their HR departments are set up to handle the paper work involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Would a non Canadian citizen really not be able to get a job at a ski resort? Seem like half the staff at places like Fernie and Louise are Australian. Even Canada Olympic Park has hired tons of Australians in the past few years for guest services, retail, ski instructors, and lifties. In fact don't most ski resorts depend on foreign workers to work for minimum and a free ski pass? I would think their HR departments are set up to handle the paper work involved.
    Aus, NZ & UK all have Working Holiday Visa schemes set-up with Canada.... Basically a one year work permit with no restrictions on employer. This can be obtained very easily in advance of applying for a job.

Ski hills will require overseas applicants to have a work visa arranged in advance before they'll offer a job.

US applicants would need a job offer to get a Temporary Work Permit (dont think there is a WHP, but could be very wrong!).... a) government is not approving many (locals need jobs) b) ski-hill will not give a job offer without having a visa arranged!

Dude fuck Revy, go to Utah.

I'm sure someone will give a better response but Aussie's under 30 can come to Canada and work with very little paper work. And Canadians can go to Oz same rules. USA doesn't let in so Americans aren't let in. Resorts will not sponsor. As a result lots of Aussies and Kiwis.

from Sunshine site:
    It is the responsibility of the applicant to secure a working visa before attending an interview. Most applicants secure working holiday visas. Sunshine Village does not provide 'Letters of Offer' or sponsor visas at this time.
    All applicants who want to work at Sunshine Village that are coming from overseas will be required to contact their local Canadian Consulate or Embassy to obtain a work permit/visa before attending an interview.

Revy is totally incredible - got to ride there for a week this winter and the new gondy which is fast and sweet. The mountain has the most vertical in all of north OR south america - c'mon, there is nothing that sucks about this place. It's a monster.