My second go at it...

Second shot at another wedding. Didnt stay for the whole thing. I think this one is better than the first...

Click the photo to enter the blog.

Thinking about trying to start booking some of my own weddings for this fall/next spring.

I shot a bit with my 80-200. Didnt like any of the shots. Not because they were not usable, but they seemed way too impersonal. Considering ditching it for a 50mm 1.4 and a 85mm 1.8.
    Last edited by single; 07-09-2009 at 03:58 PM.

holy man-hands!

what are you doing in PP?? Just toning down the saturation, or actually adding a hue? I think that look can be very effective but using it on every shot may be a bit of overkill imho.

You've got a good eye tho and you captured some good moments. Did you do any of the pose preparation yourself?
    Hail Ullr

The toning is great, looks like film.. really nice. The comp is ok... something is a little off imo. Keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by gholman12 View Post
    what are you doing in PP?? Just toning down the saturation, or actually adding a hue? I think that look can be very effective but using it on every shot may be a bit of overkill imho.

You've got a good eye tho and you captured some good moments. Did you do any of the pose preparation yourself?
    I did some of the posing myself, but a lot of what I put up was candid shots between the main posed shots.

The reason I processed all of them so heavily is because the B+G shoot was at 12 noon, so the original lighting was really poor. I did some pretty heavy processing, a lot more than just desaturate and recolor. It it a lot of curves adjustments mixed in with filters and actions. The reason I processed all of them the same way is because I like continuity in my work. Wouldn't it be kind of odd if only some were processed?

Quote Originally Posted by pointedem View Post
    The toning is great, looks like film.. really nice. The comp is ok... something is a little off imo. Keep em coming!
    Thanks. I was going for a film feel, so I am glad it translates. Would you mind maybe explaining a bit more on your composition comment? I dont disagree with you at all, and it would be great to hear what I might be able to do differently.

Thanks for the input!

-graeme

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Thanks. I was going for a film feel, so I am glad it translates. Would you mind maybe explaining a bit more on your composition comment? I dont disagree with you at all, and it would be great to hear what I might be able to do differently.

-graeme

I'd either like to see more of the bride; her dress and body- or a tighter shot on their faces. As is right now it's kinda inbetween- the emotion is good, but not the focal point of the photo. I'm distracted by the shadows behind the groom's head and his position in the frame.

I say the groom's body/face angle is working against the photo- the bride's smile and head position is leading the image to the right and works nicely with the background; however the groom's posture is opposite- his face and body is leading very strongly left and downwards. His posture is dragging on the image and is taking focus away from the bride.

It sounds over-anaytical but that is what isn't working for me- the leading angle of the bride vs. the posture and direction of the groom.

Edit: you have some banger shots in that gallery.. really nice work.
    Last edited by pointedem; 07-11-2009 at 01:59 AM.

Nice shots man. I really liked the Anderson / Wilson wedding at the bottom of your blog. I think you have an excellent eye for capturing the emotions at a wedding. The coloration does seem to be unique to your shots, and thoroughgoing. So if that's your deal, then I say stick to it. That chute you skied looked sick too..

Nice job. You definitely have an eye for weddings.

I think the PP stuff is pretty distracting, but that's based on my personal preference. The trend in wedding photography right now seems to be to over-process everything, which I think is unfortunate. Everyone is going Photoshop crazy. PP shouldn't really be necessary to "fix" a shot. Oh well, it seems like clients are digging the heavily-processed stuff right now. If you're going to mess with the hue/saturation much, I'd recommend moving more toward a warmer temp. Again, that's personal preference on my part - the studio where I work has a very "warm" style in PP, so that's what I'm used to seeing. I think warm temps are more flattering for skin tones, which helps when you want the bride to "glow".

What lens are you using? I like it.

Thanks for the input. Basically every single photo on that site is taken with a 35L. I can seem to take it off my camera. As a matter of fact, EVERY wedding photo is with the 35. I need another L prime... for diversities sake.

But I agree on the processing after waiting a while and thinking about it. I was given all sorts of PS actions and just kind of went crazy, but they are too fun to ignore. Maybe I will be able to better refine it down the road.

The main issue I am having is that I got into the wedding stuff way too late in the season. I have resorted to advertising on craigslist () in order to try and get some more experience. I will definitely be advertising hard next late winter/spring.