help planning Chilcotin day trip

lurking JONG needs some help planning a day ride in the Chilcotins and wondering if any mags can chime in with some suggestions:

3 reasonably fit and hungover riders on trail bikes will be looking to ride up and down some of that alpine terrain we see on all the covershots. also would be nice to frolic in some meadows. we will be sleeping in whistler the night before and after so won't be able to get started on the ride at a super early hour.

i've ridden from Warner Lake down Gun Creek last year with the help of a floatplane but we are thinking of spending that money trying to impress the underage crowd at Garfinkels.

Can anyone recomend a route that will take us up high (maybe up over Windy Pass?) and still be fun and doable within a day without being too savagely epic? We will only have one vehicle so can't shuttle to a trailhead unless someone can recomend a company that provides shuttles.

we're thinking this saturday so if anyone is going to be up there and wants to act as pseudo-guide we'll promise to carry your pack and provide beers

-peace

benny - i posted 3 day trip ideas as a Ride Report to MTBR and also x-posted that here. Take a look for that. Floatplanes are not necessary

here it is http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/the-mig...o-choose-from/

better descriptions and full story - http://www.leelau.net/2008/chilcotin...ins2008_08_02/
    Last edited by LeeLau; 07-08-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks Lee, thats exactly like what we are gunning for. Sounds like the first two days you guys drove to the trailhead from your campsite (Taylor Basin and Jewell Creek). On the third day did you just ride up High Trail over Camel Pass? I'm thinking if we did that we could then pick a route over Windy and then drop down and return to Tyax via Gun Trail.

benny,

I think trying to do this in a day with one car is a bit crazy. (I'm assuming you know how bad the hurley road can be)

I was on the trip with Lee last year and every day involved some sort of shuttle, unless you want to end the day with an hour or more on the road. (pretty sure our rides were still in the 10hour range with a shuttle)

Without a shuttle you could go up gun from jewel to windy pass and then down the same way, or maybe up pearson and down lick or towards cinnabar.

Getting from tyax to the trailhead is a long road climb, and then returning from the gun trail to tyax is also a long way. See if you can get tyax to shuttle you.

good luck!
    Last edited by Cheesestoff; 07-10-2009 at 02:24 PM.