Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Crazy German lady that used to live next to me--gentile concentration camp survivor arrested for throwing food to her Jewish friend, married an American GI--used to shoot BBs at the squirrels eating the almonds off her tree but I don't think she ever hit one.

I fight war on many fronts:
    -killer husky
    -pellet gun and porch beers
    -have-a-heart trap --> pellet gun or drown

I always wanted to build a squirrel chucker. Retirement project, maybe.
    north bound horse.

After two years of trapping I think I'm past 150 relocated squirrels. In that time there was a racoon, a blue jay, and a rat also caught. Released the jay but took the other two across town to a lovely park As I look out the front window this morning there are two squirrels playing tag in my tree. Sigh.

Three peanuts in the trap, one in the cage just before the trip plate and one more just outside the trap. BTW, some localities don't allow relocation of wildlife. Never did check my local regs.

Feed them some lead. Dropping them off some where else just makes them someone else’s problem. 22 shorts don’t make any more sound than a pellet gun.

My pellet gun is ridiculously accurate. The tricky part is getting a good shot opportunity, especially on the chipmunks. They are quick and wary.

Why are we anti-squirrel? As long as they don't get in the house who gives a shit about them? If they're eating your bird seed, here's an idea: stop feeding the birds.

So I see squirrels as a backup food plan. I want them in my yard. I don't have a bird feeder. My cat eats enough birds as it is, I'm not going to bait them for her.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Why are we anti-squirrel? As long as they don't get in the house who gives a shit about them? If they're eating your bird seed, here's an idea: stop feeding the birds.
    When they chomp a nice tomato or squash before you get to chomp it you'll know why. Had them in the eves years ago and managed to find and close the hole while they were out for the day. Amazing what they can squeeze through. Damned rodents!

Why are we anti-squirrel?
    Seems like a question for the pet thread.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The tricky part is getting a good shot opportunity, especially on the chipmunks. They are quick and wary.
    Seven chipmunks?

You all really need to listen to this story about a rookie police officers first call
    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/115...-day/act-two-0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1627675598.194817.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	381085

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Last edited by Thaleia; 07-30-2021 at 09:14 PM.

The squirrels used to eat holes in our wood shingle roof and nest in the attic. One time a cat followed them in and couldn't get out. We heard it for days before we figured out where it was and let it out. We used to put traps on the roof and relocate the squirrels away from houses. Comp shingle eventually solved the problem.

Well that's the thing, they try to get into the house, and they dig up the plants on our deck, and the chipmunks climb up into the car engines if not parked in the garage and chew shit. Look, they want to live in a tree 20 feet from my house I don't have a problem with them. When they start climbing on the house and deck and getting aggressive like they own the place, the hunt is on. And it only ends one way.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    You all really need to listen to this story about a rookie police officers first call
    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/115...-day/act-two-0
    GOAT...HOF....

I never minded squirrels until one chewed through a window screen and chewed up stuff in the house and shit everywhere before the caught came in throw the same hole in the screen and killed it. Squirrel feces and urine smells were tough to get out of upolstered furntiture. The squirrel population gets out of balance from bird feeders, squirrel feeders (I have met some people who feed them) and lack of predators. When I lived through the scourge of squirrels killing a 150-200 of them didn't make a difference in the assault of these rodents and the corpses were tough to get rid of in quantity as fish and game laws were being violated. I also lived in area where people would empty their Have-a-heart traps with squirrels, rabbits and woodchucks adding to the varmit burden. The answer was the reintrodution of a squirrel predator by the state: fisher cats (Pekania pennanti)

I guess I've been lucky, the squirrels don't really bother anything. They do provide entertainment. Especially watching the cat trying unsuccessfully to catch one. They taunt her mercilessly. She better not figure it out because they are my hard times insurance. I want them nice and fat.

Yeah, not like their fucking deer
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

An attempt at squirrel-proofing:
    https://youtu.be/hFZFjoX2cGg

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I'm suprised to hear folks talking about getting rid of "the" squirrel.

Maybe I live in the wrong place, but our squirrels come by the dozens.

I couldn't imagine being able to kill enough to make a difference.

Trap and drown in trashcan full of water inside trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I just blast them with my 12 gauge. Used to get 20+ a year. Down to about 5 a year now. Progress. MF'ers bury the neighbors walnuts all over my place. I got tired of digging them out and the war was on.

Subsonic .22 They're quiet and deadly, better than a pellet gun. They dont work in my Ruger 10-22 semi auto, not enough kick to push the bolt back. I guess they work but you have to pull the bolt every shot.

For us suburban folk that can’t blast shotguns, I’ve been killing things since my teen years with this. Field tip pellet and as many pumps as needed. Crossman.

Name:  Image1627757842.938829.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  27.5 KB