6 months later...an end to ski season TR

Monday is my 6 month post surgery date. The day I had surgery I said I was going to ski on the 4th of July. My rehab has gone well though I am not as far along as I would like to be. That being said I wasn't about to not do what I set for a goal all along.

The wife and myself along with a couple of mags and some non mags headed to Breck to hit peak 10 and the 4th of July Bowl. It was a pretty morning and good company. The area was really really crowded but we were able to make it all the way to the main parking area and start the hike. This was also my first climb really, I was a tad worried. DaHeel was with us and this was his first ski post collarbone surgery. Not any skiing pics but a few scenics:

The bowl was holding snow well

Crystal and Atlantic in the distance

Last push to the top, my knee felt pretty good on the hike up

A look down the line

Looking towards Breck

DaHeel, Makers, and the Mrs chilling afterwards

It was a fun day. The snow was ok, the top 2" was slushy. It would break off and run then leave a slick surface that was just ok to ski. My skiing was not good, but it was skiing. The knee was fine as far as being stable. My quad is still so weak that it put lots of pressure on my patella. It made me realize how far I still have to go to be able to fully be back. Good news is that by the time ski season starts again in October that I should be good to go. Happy 4th of July.
    Last edited by montanaskier; 07-05-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Good job. Now I have something to look forward to. Six months for me will be November 20th. Do you think you can ski your quad in shape if six months would have been the beginning of ski season?

I really don't care if it hurts because I am doing it anyway. My biggest concern is being able to play hockey. At five months the ice will begin to form in the high country and I am banking on being able to skate it into shape before ski season, unless it snows a ton in Oct.

Once again, great job. I've been following your thread in the gimp central and progressing at basically your rate minus the swelling. I am swollen to the point where it's keeping me at 130 but I abused myself a bit and need to take it easier.

Good work, montana. I know you go that sweet line on Hogan a few weeks ago - but the feeling is so good to do a little climb and ski something with a little more pitch, eh?

From the other thread, sounds like you've been rockin' the rehab and a good goal to have it so solid come this fall that you won't even need to ski with the brace!
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

nice work! I am happy to see that you are back on the skis, now you just have to wait for October ... oh well

Awesome. Happy trails on the continued road to recovery!
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Way to get back on it Matt. Now just over 3 months until the next season begins.

Good job guys.

Good job! Keep in mind that you will probably have pain under the kneecap for quite sometime. You will not have an "athletic" knee with no pain until about 1 year after surgery. Thats what my doc said to me at the beginning of last ski season when i was at 6 months and he was spot on.
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

Good job Matt, now get back to rehab. October is not that far away