Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I'll throw a third out there for Liquor Land. Best selection I know of that is close by. There are others if you'd like to venture further out. I wouldn't be overly concerned about walking there during daylight, although the neighborhood is tending toward the sketchy side...a rough industrial area with some wanderers. A bike would be a fine choice to get over there. Daylight hours only if you are on foot/bike, but otherwise anytime of day no worries...although last time I was there someone did drive by and throw a bottle out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    You are an internet blowhard, just. like. me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    If you're pushing for downstairs at Clery's you're not invited anyway. Good luck on the CFA results.
    HAH I know, its true. Just a few minutes....

Bukowskis isnt actually a bad idea
    Decisions Decisions

I somehow just only now realized there are two Natedoggs.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I somehow just only now realized there are two Natedoggs.
    I ran into that problem awhile ago myself. I think I was the first, not that it really makes a bit of difference. The difficult part is that we're both Northeast guys. If I can make a change in location and head west I suppose that will fix the problem though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    You are an internet blowhard, just. like. me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Dogg View Post
    I ran into that problem awhile ago myself. I think I was the first, not that it really makes a bit of difference. The difficult part is that we're both Northeast guys. If I can make a change in location and head west I suppose that will fix the problem though!
    I vote mutual suicide pact.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I vote mutual suicide pact.
    See that? That's why I still come here.

Without reading the thread...it is 95 degrees and fuggin humid as hell here right now. So, know that the weather is ASS.
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

Looks like I'm moving to Boston in 3ish weeks. Going to be working in Burlington, been looking at places in somerville/cambridge/brookline based on suggestions from people I know there. Any suggestions, am I barking up the right tree? 22yrs old, starting a professional career, want to have entirely too much fun when I'm not in the office. I will need parking though...
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

somerville, holy shit, no way dude. try living on the north or south shore. beach it, learn how to sail or surf.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Salem MA(north shore) is a very fun place. At least I think its up and coming hub thats way cheaper than the city. Easy access to teh city too. Commute to Burlington could suck depending on what hours you are working. On a good day maybe 30 minutes by 128. On a bad day an hour.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Watertown used to be a much cheaper "Cambridge". It's still close to the city, has parking and some ethnic flavors... lots of Armenians. Somerville has good and bad spots (I lived in all the bad ones.) and has become almost as expensive as Cambridge. If you want to windsurf, look around Quincy, South Boston, etc. Pleasant Bay is where many sail, but then you've got all the regular city problems.

If I was working in Burlington, I'd seriously look at Watertown... it's in between Boston and Burlington, has good places to rent (for the dough) and is very safe. (Anywhere north or south on 128, is going to suck during rush hour!) Waltham may be an alternative, but it's a bit more "blue collar" than Watertown. Somerville is definitely an option, but Brookline has bad parking, and is very expensive.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

If you're working in Burlington, you will need to own a vehicle. Just make damn sure you know the parking situation where you rent, ESPECIALLY in the winter. Trust me on this one. On street parking blows, look for private parking. Somerville/Cambridge is a good choice for someone your age , lotta college booty and great music and culture.

I'd skip Watertown and Waltham. Closer to Burlington, but not that much to do. Better options in Somerville and Cambridge. Jamaica Plain is also a good spot, but I've lived in JP for the last 7 years so I'm a bit biased.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    Salem MA(north shore) is a very fun place. At least I think its up and coming hub thats way cheaper than the city. Easy access to teh city too. Commute to Burlington could suck depending on what hours you are working. On a good day maybe 30 minutes by 128. On a bad day an hour.
    Downtown Salem and by the water is a good time, but depending where you are you're looking at 20+ mins just to get to 128, then tack on the commute time to Burlington.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    Looks like I'm moving to Boston in 3ish weeks. Going to be working in Burlington, been looking at places in somerville/cambridge/brookline based on suggestions from people I know there. Any suggestions, am I barking up the right tree? 22yrs old, starting a professional career, want to have entirely too much fun when I'm not in the office. I will need parking though...
    Those are decent/funky areas to live. Some key Q's:
    1. Do you want to go into the city on a regular basis?
    2. Do you need cheap/easy transport home while inebriated?
    3. Are you planning to GTFO on the weekends?

Depending on things like that, you may want to look more inside or more outside. Some people don't give a crap about being in the city, but given that you're 22 and more than likely will be spending the next 5 years drinking heavily and hitting on girls rapaciously, you should definitely not put yourself on the outside of the T range unless you're sure.

Lived in Newton Highlands for a year, right on the D line. Worked out well- easy to get to 128, easy into/out of the city, though its a quiet neighborhood- not a ton of nightlife right there.

Brookline would be good, more of a pain with the commute and parking would be $ (need to pay for a spot) and its generally more expensive. Brighton may be a good idea, easy to pike, cheap, plenty of people your age around.

Watertown isnt bad, cheap, decent places, a few good areas around.
    Decisions Decisions

If you consider going for a rental in Salem, PM me. Mrs. Shred's family owns some rental properties there.

I live in Brighton. Easy access to the Pike but it takes me about 20-30 minutes on the Pike to 95 to get to Burlington. Same amount of time if you take the back roads from Brighton-Watertown-Belmont-Arlington-Woburn-Burlington. If you decide to stay in Brighton, look around Oak Square/Chandler Pond. (Right beside the Oak Square area is Newton Corner, another place to look at in these parts). It has a more post-graduate/young professional/young family crowd. The college kids and bar scene along the Brighton Center-Oak Square strip should keep things interesting but you're far enough from the Allston madness so you can sleep at night. Street parking can be a pain and you may want to rent space at least for the winter. Public transportation into town is easy through the 57 bus. Did you consider just staying in Burlington?

Stay away from :

“Lynn, Lynn,
    The city of sin.
    You don’t go out
    The way you came in.”

http://www.epinions.com/content_2654314628
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I believe a lot of office parks up there run shuttles to and from the Anderson/Woburn commuter rail station. If this is an option, consider living in the North End and taking the Lowell line out from North Station.

It is expensive and the parking is terrible but it is a super-fun place to live. And highway access is not an issue, to say the least.

Got here yesterday, living right by fenway for a month so I can get to know the city a little bit and figure out where I actually want to live. Any suggestions on where to go to get drunk and watch the Germans fuck the English up tomorrow?
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    Fun place, great darts.

The closer to downtown the better. Don't live in Burlington or on the South Shore. Live in Cambridge, walking distance to Harvard Square or another close "town" that's the equivalent with walking distance to the action. 22 is too young to be outside of the loop.
    I'm visiting Charlestown at the moment and I'm a $15 cab ride from everywhere. Perfect.

After a closer inspection of this thread, I can see no reason you shouldnt reside in the city. Or at worst Charlestown. You are 22? and can eat a shitty commute in order to have lots and lots of baby making practice with young women. If you did want to see Salem I will be home in a month and a half and would be happy to show you around. Maybe you can make the fishing summit if it comes together?
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."