Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vibram soled mountain bike shoes

anyone have a pair of the Canion or Fronteir by Northwave or some other brand with a vibram sole? Any impressions?

I am taking a trip that will require both XC/Trail riding and walking/hiking. I need a new pair of shoes anyway and would like to try to get by without bringing a pair of hiking shoes.

I am thinking of bringing the cut out from the sole and reinserting it for hikes. does that even work??
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Why not your new 5.10's and flats?

Most of the cleat optional shoes I have seen you physically cut out the rubber to get to the cleat insert. Not sure how/if you could put it back in. That said, I might be totally wrong about that.

5.10 impacts hike great....

It looks like they don't make them anymore but you might want to check with Gary or see if you can score a pair online. He has a pair of the Lake MX255's and swears by them. Thinking hiking boot that you can run clipless.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I have a pair of Lake MX-190s Exceptionally comfortable despite them not being the most durable shoe. However, I always seem to go back to wearing them (even over my sidis and shimanos) because they are great for anytime you'd expect to be off the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I thought about the 5.10s, but the bike I am renting comes with clipless.

Lake was the other brand that makes shoes with vibram soles, i will check the model you mention Ron.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I thought about the 5.10s, but the bike I am renting comes with clipless.

Lake was the other brand that makes shoes with vibram soles, i will check the model you mention Ron.
    The lesser MX160 is essentially the same shoe without the ratchet system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I have a set, can't remember the brand, and you do cut out the sole for the clips so once you do so it is that way permanently. If you are walking on rocks you can still tell the clips are there, but other than that they hike fine.

I'll bet if you tried really hard you could guess
    Specialized Buzzsaws. Great for hiking and riding.
    You don't need freerides when you got freeheels

I like the Lake stuff but you will have a hard time finding the ones you want. Shimano makes the MT70 with a vibram sole.

Sack up and learn to ride flats, sally

my scotts are great. Cost me $60 and have lasted two seasons with no sign of letting up soon... i dont think they make the same model but these are similar
    http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/1640/15933/boulder
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The Vibram sole on my Lake MX160 shoes ripped apart on both shoes within a year. I will admit that I do plenty of hike-a-bikes in rocky areas.
    I'm giving another pair of Lake's w/ Vibram soles a try, but I've only got about 15 rides on them.
    The main reason I decided to go with Lake still, is because they fit my feet really well.

shimano am40?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Lake MX160's are great. I got them for their walking ability and they perform wonderfly in that department. Beefy soles for sure

Cool.

I didn't realize how many shoes had a vibram sole.

there is a specialized dealer in town so i will check out the buzzsaw and the shimano.

davep, i am trying on the flats. one ride in, i am not a fan, but i am not gonna give up, yet.

Another vote for Lakes. My last pair lasted an absurd number of miles, my current ones seem to be doing pretty well also.

I may have to buy the lakes blindly. I can't ever remember seeing them in a store in these parts. they run true to size?

cool. just purchased the Lake MX155. (couldn't find a MX255)

Seems like a good compromise of a hiking shoe that is spd compatible.

I've been on the same hunt.

-Specialized Taho: looks good, but Sports LTD didn't have it in my size and Specialized is out too
    -Pearl Izumi has a couple different kinds at the store at the Y which were very light and walked well, but they are so hideous that I almost couldn't put them on my feet. (YMMV: they look like your average set of running trainers.) Also they were too wide.
    -Shimano MT32, MT52 (REI-only AFAIK)

I ended up with a regular pair of Pearl Izumis that were on clearance because they fit me perfectly. Never had a "normal" pair of MTB shoes before: look for comedy to ensue as I slip around on rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    cool. just purchased the Lake MX155. (couldn't find a MX255)

Seems like a good compromise of a hiking shoe that is spd compatible.
    Ah shit. Dude, I have those. They're narrow as fuck, and you know I have narrow feet. They're ok otherwise. I like my Shimano MT52s MUCH better. They pedal just as well and walk better than the Lakes. Those Lakes have a weird sole. The rubber is really grippy, but the contact points are in weird places and sometimes the purchase is a bit sketchy.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    -Specialized Taho: looks good, but Sports LTD didn't have it in my size and Specialized is out too
    I have a pair of the Taho's from a couple seasons ago. They're comfortable and hike fine, but do not hold up well. The rubber of the sole started peeling away from the bottom of the shoe pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Ah shit. Dude, I have those. They're narrow as fuck, and you know I have narrow feet. They're ok otherwise. I like my Shimano MT52s MUCH better. They pedal just as well and walk better than the Lakes. Those Lakes have a weird sole. The rubber is really grippy, but the contact points are in weird places and sometimes the purchase is a bit sketchy.
    well, shit. maybe i will just have to return them.

hmmm, think i will go look as some shimanos now and maybe try find a northwave dealer.

I have been happy with these Peal Izumis - Very walkable, stiff sole with a break point at the toe area, ratchet closure, wide enough that I could order them online and have them fit. I gots real wide feet. Had them for a few 8+ hour rides with hike-a-bike, felt fine.

http://www.rei.com/product/765131
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Quote Originally Posted by HobieTony View Post
    I have been happy with these Peal Izumis - Very walkable, stiff sole with a break point at the toe area, ratchet closure, wide enough that I could order them online and have them fit. I gots real wide feet. Had them for a few 8+ hour rides with hike-a-bike, felt fine.

http://www.rei.com/product/765131
    FYI lph: the Pearl Izumi store at the Y has those. Too wide for me. They're still ugly IMO, but not as bad as the other X-Alp.