Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vailszendrei View Post
    Ok ok... I agree.

And to the guy talking about entlebuchers, theyre great dogs. As a doberman owner, ive learned to love black and tan breeds. Owning dobermans has made me hesitant towards other dog breeds tho. Dobermans are the total package dog if you know how to keep them happy and respectful. Too bad they suck for backcountry.

I will be adopting two new puppies this spring, and thinking of breeds. My short list is greater swiss MD and Rottweiler, but also looking into a smaller breed with more stamina. Who knows, but it will be a ton of work.
    Rescued a Shiba Inu or Shiba Ken this past December. Badass for a small breed. He was the runt of the litter, had parvo at 3 weeks, and looks to be the strongest I have ever seen. He has fit in nicely into my family and loves the snow…even at 3 months he can keep up on short hikes.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Not to belabor the point, but there was an avalanche yesterday where a dog was buried 6 feet deep. Luckily it was saved because the person caught in the slide with it could hear it barking through the snow.
    Respectfully noted.
    Terje was right.

Shiba inus are incredibly smart and strong. Unfortunately they're also incredibly "independent". I used to take my daughter's Shiba with me when I was going to be deep in the wilderness where I wouldn't run into anyone else. In those conditions he was fabulous company. But as a breed you really can't take them off leash anywhere you might run into other people or dogs. They just do what they want and may or may not come to you.
    My current ski dog is half English lab and half standard poodle. Very smart and athletic from the standard, incredible disposition and strength from the lab. Would rather ski tour than do anything else. My friends love having her with us because of her enthusiasm and good manners (stays right behind me when ascending and descending, doesn't bark). There are conditions and places I won't take her, but she's with me 95% of the time. I'll really miss her when she starts to age and I have to cut back on taking her.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Starke was the pup of a Bernese father and Malamute mom. 90lbs during his prime. Just enough laid back berner to offset the willfulness of the maly. Silky overcoat never balled snow, but shed an undercoat enough to spin and knit a wool sweater. 25C+ was hard on him in his later years, but wouldn't blink at -30C in a blizzard. Fantastic with kids and wildlife. Dominant but not aggressive with other dogs. Haven't seen a litter of the same since (bitch Berner and Maly stud but they at the least looked far more berner). Best pack mate I've ever had, wandering the country from the Flathead to the Cassiar over all seasons. Think of and miss him everyday.
    Attachment 147805
    Attachment 147806

Wow kind of glossed over this last time, he was quite the regal beast! Talk about a perfect packmate for cold weather and mountains!!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyadolescent View Post
    Shiba inus are incredibly smart and strong. Unfortunately they're also incredibly "independent". I used to take my daughter's Shiba with me when I was going to be deep in the wilderness where I wouldn't run into anyone else. In those conditions he was fabulous company. But as a breed you really can't take them off leash anywhere you might run into other people or dogs. They just do what they want and may or may not come to you.
    My current ski dog is half English lab and half standard poodle. Very smart and athletic from the standard, incredible disposition and strength from the lab. Would rather ski tour than do anything else. My friends love having her with us because of her enthusiasm and good manners (stays right behind me when ascending and descending, doesn't bark). There are conditions and places I won't take her, but she's with me 95% of the time. I'll really miss her when she starts to age and I have to cut back on taking her.
    I am finding that because of their hunting background, I am having to raise him with lots of repetition and play towards his breeding instinct. I see the potential for him to either be wild or a pack dog like the husky types, so I will work hard to keep the reward-return high. I have only surveyed the breed specific training advice online, and from that outline I feel and from some of the general dog experience found in this thread, it will be a long road, but ultimately I think he will rock it in the B C.
    Terje was right.

I wish you the best, DasBlunt. If you can train him to obey, he'll be an outstanding bc dog. For the past 15 years, I've asked every Shiba owner I've come across if they ever let their dog off leash. They all looked at me like I was crazy to even consider it. But I have seen an exception. About five years ago I was walking down a street in SF one morning and passed a Shiba off leash. Couldn't believe it. Spoke to the owner who said hers was the only one she'd ever seen who would reliably come when called. I hope you have the second exception.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyadolescent View Post
    I wish you the best, DasBlunt. If you can train him to obey, he'll be an outstanding bc dog. For the past 15 years, I've asked every Shiba owner I've come across if they ever let their dog off leash. They all looked at me like I was crazy to even consider it. But I have seen an exception. About five years ago I was walking down a street in SF one morning and passed a Shiba off leash. Couldn't believe it. Spoke to the owner who said hers was the only one she'd ever seen who would reliably come when called. I hope you have the second exception.
    Yeah, I knew that going into it. Shiba's I have heard, all hate their leads, this guy hates his collar, but does mind the harness.

Aren't Labs are hard off leash too? Because of that, I know I will need to be patient, demanding and persistent. Seeing as he is the runt of the litter, he has a great disposition. I am feeding him awesome food ( lamb, rice dry, and salmon/rice raw), at 5 months now, he is growing well. Super clear headed and has even perfected the game of fetch.
    Terje was right.

Thanks Live2Ski & DoWork. Starke definitely had a presence that encouraged respect, but he also possessed a quiet humility. A real lady killer (both 2 & 4 legged). If I ever had the time and space to breed hounds, it would definitely be to try and match his litter. Originally from a hippy cabin just east of Nelson, there were or maybe still are some of his litter mates in the Nelson area, and they all seemed to express very similar traits.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	148165

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Not to belabor the point, but there was an avalanche yesterday where a dog was buried 6 feet deep. Luckily it was saved because the person caught in the slide with it could hear it barking through the snow.
    Interesting- where was the slide? Do you have a link to the report?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Thanks Live2Ski & DoWork. Starke definitely had a presence that encouraged respect, but he also possessed a quiet humility. A real lady killer (both 2 & 4 legged). If I ever had the time and space to breed hounds, it would definitely be to try and match his litter. Originally from a hippy cabin just east of Nelson, there were or maybe still are some of his litter mates in the Nelson area, and they all seemed to express very similar traits.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	148165
    Starke was definitely my kind of guy, as I have always adopted the wolfy looking dogs. Before adopting my long haired GSD mix and my Malamute, I really wanted to get a Euraser which look a lot like Starke and are mostly bred in BC and Alberta (so a ways from So Cal) but my wife insisted I adopt, so first I found Gunther and then Maya found me. I just adore those two fuzzy pups and I am sure they will both be great in the BC once a little older.

Name:	G&M park.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	148254
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00066-20120601-0617.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	148249  
    Last edited by liv2ski; 01-10-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I have a husky German Shepard mix. Loves the snow, never gets cold. However, he is a bit stubborn. Either way great mix, and you can find them out there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diesel_A.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	148250

Name:	Diesel_B.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	148251

Name:	Diesel_C.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	148252
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Elkhounds are fantastic winter weather dogs but not for everyone. They are willful and stubborn to a fault, and they bark. a LOT. This goes back to their breeding - hunters of game that operate without human direction and keep up a steady stream of barking so the hunter can follow the sound. They are cool dogs, but will desert you for a ham sandwich, or if what you're doing is boring them.

Torvald on Mt. Ellinor, Olympic Mts:

I say get a mutt. I think Jack is a lab/shepherd mix, or maybe lab/heeler. Whatever he is, he's awesome. 70 lbs, so he can carry a fair amount of beer. Doesn't let me out of his sight, eager to please, strong, fast, agile, and the only time I've ever seen him act like it was too cold for him was in 4 degree weather with a 10-20 mph wind.

...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Elkhounds are fantastic winter weather dogs but not for everyone. They are willful and stubborn to a fault, and they bark. a LOT. This goes back to their breeding - hunters of game that operate without human direction and keep up a steady stream of barking so the hunter can follow the sound. They are cool dogs, but will desert you for a ham sandwich, or if what you're doing is boring them.

Torvald on Mt. Ellinor, Olympic Mts:

I say get a mutt. I think Jack is a lab/shepherd mix, or maybe lab/heeler. Whatever he is, he's awesome. 70 lbs, so he can carry a fair amount of beer. Doesn't let me out of his sight, eager to please, strong, fast, agile, and the only time I've ever seen him act like it was too cold for him was in 4 degree weather with a 10-20 mph wind.

Awesome! I was gonna say herding type dogs are good like an Australian cattle dog, but not sure how they like snow.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Jack is great. I say get a mutt too. My dog Zeke is a heeler/lab cross and has never been cold, never gets tired and is always game. He's got a great double coat and snow doesn't collect on him. He also has webbed paws and charges through deep snow. He's a little lighter than Jack but very lithe. I think Willie has some pics of Zeke and Jack together.

I have never raised or even gotten to know a more "independent" large breed. Anyone have any experience with akitas? Preferably to the american standard, rather than Japanese.

I had a couple daschunds, which i guess are considered somewhat independent, but they were pretty easy dogs overall. Other dogs i have raised or help with are dobermans and Belgian malinois (both of which are NOT independant breeds), labs and retrievers (Less dependent than dobe/malinois). Idk how they compare to akitas.

I have never raised or even gotten to know a more "independent" large breed. Anyone have any experience with akitas? Preferably to the american standard, rather than Japanese.

I had a couple daschunds, which i guess are considered somewhat independent, but they were pretty easy dogs overall. Other dogs i have raised or help with are dobermans and Belgian malinois (both of which are NOT independant breeds), labs and retrievers (Less dependent than dobe/malinois). Idk how they compare to akitas.
    I am not a dog expert but Alias are the breed I trust the least of all dogs I've run across in my adult life. I've witnessed 2 totally unprovoked and amazingly aggressive attacks by Akitas on other dogs. This past summer a young but large (100 plus pound) Akita aggressively approached my 5 yr old son while we loaded the car at a canoe takeout. I had to step towards the dog and tell its owners to get their dog in their car. That was the only time in my life I thought I was going to have to really go after a dog. I've been around Big dogs my whole life (Danes, Sheppard, Newfies) and have spent many a day at dog parks. I would not want any part of owning an Akita. I don't like their temperament one bit. They may be very loyal and protective to the owner but I would not ever take on that responsibility.

I understand my experiences are anecdotal, but the incidence of aggression I've witnessed by Akitas dwarfs what ive scene from all other breeds combined - which is why I shared my .02 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

I would be very hesitant to let an Akita off leash under uncontrolled conditions. I'm sure there are individuals of the breed that are fine but... I say this as an owner of pit bulls at one time, great dogs but the degree of responsibility is another level from most breeds. My dogs now may show some aggression with strange dogs but are easily called off with "be nice", this is not the case with a dog like an Akita or pitbull or other "game" breeds.

Husky/German Shepard. Husky for toughness and gas tank. Shepard for obedience and trainability. Husky / Lab also. Avoid purebreds at all cost. I know breeders will be upset at this statement but just have a look around. Spastic, retard purebreds areeverywhere. Bail a dog out from the pound. They never forget it and repay you for the rest of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Husky/German Shepard. Husky for toughness and gas tank. Shepard for obedience and trainability. Husky / Lab also. Avoid purebreds at all cost. I know breeders will be upset at this statement but just have a look around. Spastic, retard purebreds areeverywhere. Bail a dog out from the pound. They never forget it and repay you for the rest of their lives.
    This, they know and will be thankful/repay you

Quote Originally Posted by NWSkier View Post
    This, they know and will be thankful/repay you

Name:	DSC01564.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	148311

Repay you is right. This is my girl. I was her 4th owner in 3 years. Nobody wanted her but we hit it off and the rest is history. Other than my friendship, she has never asked a thing from me and given so much in return. My best friend.

She is 11 (10 in this photo) and still going strong. Another advantage of having Husky in the mix. With regular exercise they will live and perform for a long time. I used to race sled dogs and placed with 16 and 17 year old Alaskans in my team.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1389513463.986535.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	148313 this guy.

I too am a fan of the rescue mutt, simply because we have one that is way too much fun. They are healthier in general, grateful to their owners, and a riot to be around. According to her little DNA test makeup, she is a combo of a Lab, Flat Coated Retriever, and obviously some type of Shepherd in there. She is insanely athletic, and loves to run and play in the snow so it has worked out great for us being winter folk. Basically if a dog knows how to heal, stay, and come, I think they can become a good backcountry buddy. She has come hiking, camping, paddleboarding, biking, etc... with us which I think is key as she feels a part of it and knows that if she goes AWOL on us or doesn't listen, she gets left at home. At about 60lbs now just under a year old with good long legs, she can make her way through some pretty good snow without straining too much on the joints and seems like about the ideal size for this. Her coat doesn't clump up and she seems to stay warm down to about -20c as long as she is moving. She hasn't been out much as snow and avy conditions have been consistently shit in Alberta this year, but getting her used to skis and where to be in relation to us is good to get locked in before getting out into anything remotely gnarly.

Name:	Cropped.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	165037

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1426008301.785018.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	363.0 KB 
ID:	165038

Baron is a great ski dog.

But only for certain missions.

Taking a dog around high consequence terrain is pretty selfish/Stupid in my mind.

This is Kaylee, my companion for many of my wild Western Massachussetts BC adventures this year. She's a mutt of some kind. Probably a lab and something else, but much smaller and lankier than a lab (~35 lbs).

She loved it and it was great for getting her exercise. No alpine worries (avies, etc.) where we were touring. Even a day wheremy descent ends up being picking my way through brush is fun if you're out there with a dog who looks mindblowingly happy to run up the skin track, run back to see you, bound off into the chest deep snow, come bouncing back.

She doesn't have a super heavy coat, so I'm not sure I'd take her on longer tours on really cold days. She never seemed cold though, save one time when we ended up sitting in the wind at the top of our climb for a fairly long time as I de-iced my Dukes. She does have a coat, but I spare her the indignity of wearing it when my wife isn't around.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Rescued a Shiba Inu or Shiba Ken this past December. Badass for a small breed. He was the runt of the litter, had parvo at 3 weeks, and looks to be the strongest I have ever seen. He has fit in nicely into my family and loves the snow…even at 3 months he can keep up on short hikes.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1426030565.803137.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	731.0 KB 
ID:	165072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1426030608.529085.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	824.0 KB 
ID:	165073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1426030713.874280.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	680.4 KB 
ID:	165074

My shiba inu loves the snow and is a natural climber, loves scrambling up shit.

The downside is they are only good off leash in the middle of nowhere, kind of like a husky or malamute, just wild fuckers that are super independent.

Love this guy though