Backcountry ski rentals in or around Wa DC?

Does anyone in the DC area know of a place that has legitimate backcountry rentals? I have a friend headed to SA and will be doing guided backcounty touring, but doesn't have gear - would love any recommendations. I imagine there must be some sort of mountaineering store with knowledgeable people who can get her on the right track . . .

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie View Post
    I imagine there must be some sort of mountaineering store with knowledgeable people who can get her on the right track . . .
    Actually, I would be, well, SHOCKED if such a store existed within at least 100 miles of DC. Plus, at this time of the year, all the ski stores that do exist put all their ski stuff in storage and concentrate on (choose one): bikes, tennis rackets, patio furniture. Seriously.

Maybe another DC mag will surprise us both, but I doubt it.

I only know of two ski shops. And I've only been to one. I have heard that ski chalet in Olney does ski and snowboard rentals, but it's probably just random old skis; they're also going out of business. I go to Princeton Sports in Columbia for my skiing needs, but I know for fact that they don't carry any backcountry equipment.

Good luck, and if you find any outfitters, let me know!
    www.skiwisp.com
    Home sweet home.

This concept of a ski shop-less world is crazy . . . makes me thankful to be on the left coast

Thanks for the input though!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Potomac Outdoors did (at least I believe that was the name of the store). They closed 7 years ago and were the only shop to carry decent gear.

Tell him to buy gear.

Alpine Ski Shop in sterling, va...only about 30min outside DC. I work there, no rental skis but there are a few pairs that might be able to be loaned that belong to other shop employees...depends on what size we are talking about..more info?

EDIT: Ok i lied, just re-read the thread and all the skis available are pretty big so might not be the best fit for your friend