$2k for 2 Road Bikes

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about road bikes other than what I've read on this site and the intrawebz lately. Mrs. Concrete and I would like to get them for improving our general biking fitness and she's starting to do triathlons. Cross bikes won't cut it but there are a fair number of dirt roads around that I usually ride my mountain bike on so if there is anything that I should look for let me know, tire clearance, etc. If they could handle dirt would be a plus but not necessary.

Any particular brands that are a good value? I've checked out Felt, Specialized and a couple others. Our bikes can't be the same because the matching factor on top of riding a road bike is already keeping me awake at night . So I'll need a couple different brands. I'd like to spend around $1,000 each with decent components. Also, if there are specific shops I should check out in the Boulder area please recommend them. We'd both need to be sized but I've got a relative idea based on sizing websites.

I've been checking Craigslist lately but without any knowledge it's futile.

Thanks.

i'll sell you any road bike i have in stock at the shop for wholesale.

bianchi, felt, giant.

just let me know... certainly a few in the right sizes/prices for y'all...
    Last edited by marshalolson; 06-25-2009 at 07:59 AM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I don't know why but I forgot marshalolson is the man. Now on to leg shaving tips .

You say cross bikes won't cut it, but you need to ride on dirt?

Don't worry about getting the same brand or matching, once you each fins something that fits they are likely going to look different anyways.

$1000 each with decent components is going to be the sticking point. Sora is Shimanos lowest road group, and I was not very impressed on the few bikes I rode. A female friend was in a very similar price range this spring and found that the Sora brake levers did not fit here hands at all (something funky about shifting), and they are plastic.

Look for a leftover bike, or you may luck out with used. Shoot for Tiagra components if possible. IIRC Specialized had a couple right around $1000 with maily Sora parts, and also stamped chainrings. My friend picked up a WSD Cannondale Synapse for $1050 with Tiagra rear, Sora front, Tiagra shifter/breaks and FSA crank. Cannondale specs the bike with full Sora, but has been upgrading to Tigra levers due to issues.

Check out Scott bikes too, I looked at them a few times and the seem like a good entry level option, i can't remember why I didn't buy one, but my friend stayed away due to fit.

Trek's enry level bikes are crap IMHO. They use low end everything, and once the components where out the frame is so low end you junk the bike.

Thins to look for:

1. Fit. DO NOT SACRIFICE!!! If it hurts to ride, you will never ride.
    2. Components. Sora is solid, but going to Tiagra is a huge jump. In this price range you likely won't wee any 105 or higher groupos
    3. Frame. If you can, buy into the low end of a model series that uses the same frame througout. Then when parts wear out you can upgrade them and still have a rally nice bike.
    4. Service. Some shops might have a slightly higher price tag, but make up for it in service. For example, my shop gives 10% off accesories for 60 days, free fitting (with bike purchase), free "minor adjustments", free 30-day tune and a 1 year tune. My experiance has been bring it in, if it is really minor you are out the door in ten.
    5. Cross bikes. Road frame, dirt tires.

I am more familer with this years Women's (WSD) bikes then the men's, but here are a few to look at:

For her
    Specialized Dolce Triple MSRP $940, Mostly Sora, stamped not forged rings
    Cannondale Synapse Féminine 7 MSRP $980, good frame, sora/ tiagra. The 3 bikes i have seen all had an upgrade to Tigra shifter/brakes.
    Trek 1.2 WSD MSRP $880 Full Sora, POS frame

For you
    Scott Speedster S40 MSRP $1000, Tiagra, pretty decent frame
    Cannondale CAAD9-7 MSRP $980, Sora shifters, check it out though, they may be upgraded
    Specialized Allez MSRP $880, Mostly Sora, stamped not forged rings
    Trek 1.2 MSRP $880 Full Sora, POS frame

I couldn't find Felt or any other brands to ride locally, and i wouldn't recommend buying a bike without riding it. At the very least you are in for some expensive fitting to get things right.

don;t worry, concretejungle and mrsCJ will be rockign out with some nice carbon/alu frames with 105 kits. s'all good
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    don;t worry, concretejungle and mrsCJ will be rockign out with some nice carbon/alu frames with 105 kits. s'all good
    Yeah, I saw your post afterwards.

Where the hell were you a year ago?
    Last edited by krp8128; 06-25-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Aside from marshal's very generous offer I'm sure there are still some good deals on Lemonds our there.

Leg shaving.... disposalbe razor and a sauna or better yet, a steam.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

www.bonktown.com

wait it out a week or 2 and you'll have a very nice full bike for 1/2 price. i bought a pinarello frame off there and just built it up with more bonktown, ebay and LBS parts. ended up more expensive than i originally hoped but took it for maiden voyage last night and it kicked some serious road ass.

they put full, complete, nice road and tri bikes up, usually at least once a week. find out what general size and components/features you're looking for, then buy away!

posted before i noticed marshall's offer. you should definitely take him up on that, hard to beat and hooking up from a solid mag

Most road bikes can handle the dirt just fine, clearance-wise. Maybe not peanut-butter mud, but gravel roads are a staple of "road riding".

Make the jump to 105, carbon fork and rear seatstays...and you'll be all set. Maybe some extra cushion on the bar tops, and a cassette with a large range. Tyre choice will be most important for resilience on the gravel.

edit: and wash the lycra. It rules the road.

Not sure if you bought new, but i have a 58cm Jamis im looking to unload for around $900.

All 10 speed ultegra, with 10 speed dura ace shifters. ~ 500 miles.

bianchi, felt, giant.

Have you got any cyclocross bikes in a 54-56 you feel so magnanimous about?
    Living vicariously through myself.

Cannondale Caad9 with 105 is right in that range and it's an excellent frame.

marshalolson set us up proper. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    marshalolson set us up proper. Thanks.
    Useless w/o pics...

bianchi, felt, giant.

Hurting that bad?
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Dreams View Post
    Hurting that bad?
    no, just a slow road bike season. and concrete jungle is solid people.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com