Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eating healthy

Eating healthy

It's no wonder most of Americans are fat pigs.

It's beyond difficult to eat healthy.

Most beef in the grocery markets is corn fed crap. Watch "Kings of Corn" if you're still in the dark on this issue.

Take just about ALL isles of the grocery store, and mark them off the list.
    Nothing but processed crap EVERYWHERE.

Hell, it's tough just to buy bottled water that doesn't come in a plastic container. (BPA)

Minus a few seafood products, the fruits and vegetables section, and some dairy.....

Grocery stores are facilitating disgusting fat bodies.

Dear Obama. I don't give a fuck about Cigarettes labeled "light" or "low tar".

People who smoke, know it's bad for them.

Eating however.............education on this subject is minimal at best...... even the FDA food pyramid is a crock of shit.

I've been confined to shop with the damn hippies at the health food store.

Hey, "The people are fucked", so who really gives a shit as long as it comes wrapped in sweet, sweet plastic?

blurred,

Honest question, how what is the price difference between the food at the health food store and the corn fed hormone injected meat at the grocery store?

Asian and other ethnic markets are another option if you’re fortunate enough to have them in your area. The vegetables at the Asian market here in SLC are fresher, higher quality and a lot cheaper than they are at the grocery stores, let alone the prices at places like Whole Foods etc.

Otherwise, the processed crap is EVERYWHERE and it; along with excessive protein (check out: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study"]The China Study[/ame]) has been tied to numerous degenerative diseases.

Not trying to be a health food zealot, I just hate the idea of injuries or, worse, developing a chronic disease many years from now when changing a few habits today could have prevented it.

I really don't think its all that hard. Ok, its hard to eat a 100% all natural perfectly organic no artificial anything diet that is also well balanced cheap, and tasty, but its really not too difficult to eat fairly healthy, and cheap, and tasty.

Buy a 12lb bag of rice from costco. Buy a bunch of beans and fresh vegis. Either buy freerange meat, or better yet, just go get some dead deer or elk out of the freezer, and there you go enough food to feed like 50 people, all pretty natural healthy, and well balanced, and cheap.

Pasta + homemade pasta sauce with fresh ingredients = still healthy cheap and tasty.

Theres lots more, unless I'm missing something. Maybe the canned beans have something in them thats bad for me, but I don't spend time worrying about every little detail.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Sweet rant!

Today's Sign of the Apocalypse: Blurred is talking like a hippie.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don't find it particularly difficult to eat healthy, I do however find it to be expensive, despite others argument that it is no more expensive. I think the majority of the population is in the dark in terms of health as it relates to nutrition. I know a little bit, but not much, and half of what I know might be wrong but...

Junk food is cheap, healthy food is sometimes as well...but often times is not. I try to keep it simple. Natural, non-processed=good. If you can't pronounce something on the label then you probably shouldn't eat it. Stick to the outside fringes of the grocery store as much as possible. If you have a fresh food market even better. High fructose corn syrup sucks and it is in everything...that includes Gatorade. And no, I'm not a dirty stinky hippy, but I do think its worthwhile not to put a bunch of garbage in my body, even if something else will probably kill me first...at least I feel better. Also, for those who have protein shakes with milk, or milk with fruit/vegetables...the casein in dairy products binds to antioxidants (i.e. fruit in yogurt) and you don't get the benefits. Also, for anyone who doesn't know it, most cereal sucks for you despite manufacturers convincing everyone otherwise. So...that's my little ramble on being healthy, and I know there are tons of different opinions/diets. Some reading material too:

Nutrition Links: http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/vi...c.php?f=3&t=10
    Cereal: http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35740
    Healthiest Foods: http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
    Foods you should buy Organic: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...ty-Dozen-Foods
    Foods you don't need to buy organic: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...llery-44032808
    High Fructose Corn Syrup: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ing_corn_syrup

And an interesting article on the food industry:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/ma...N&st=nyt&scp=2

It isn't hard to eat healthy, but the grocery store & major food manufacturers aren't doing anyone any favors. The general public, including myself, would do well to be better educated on the foods that we put in our stomach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    You are an internet blowhard, just. like. me.

That's because so many Americans are either to busy, lazy or lack the skills needed to put together meals that carry redeeming qualities. Instead they just hit the deli for fried chicken or whatever.

I personally try focus on actually cooking real food completely from scratch vs. dropping so much $$$ on free range, organic ect...if I had more money I would buy all organic of course. I also don't like to drop a lot cash on food that does nothing for me (cookies, crackers, soda ect).

Didn't I read somewhere that all food on the shelves was soon going to be scored from 1-100 based on nutritional benefits. It's so fucking sad that it's come to this but I honestly thnik there is a lot of shoppers that need guidance

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post

Pasta + homemade pasta sauce with fresh ingredients = still healthy cheap and tasty.
    It's assumptions like pasta being healthy that is part of the problem. Some pasta is good, some horrible.

This article cracked me up today, complaining about the food having eyeballs and tentacles. Americans don't know fresh food when it's handed to them.

"At the hotel BaiNeng in Shanghai the "bunny men" deliver room service: shellfish with eyes and feelers still attached, peeking from beneath the lids of foam to-go boxes.

It's one of a dozens of culturally challenging situations Littleton photographer Sandy Puc' and her two teenage children are experiencing while they are under quarantine because of swine-flu fears.

The "bunny men" are doctors dressed in protective suits and the food is nothing like the favored Chinese dishes Puc', Katie, 16, and Alek, 15, eat at home. "

The dish in question...

You guys also seem to have a thing for colored food.
    Last edited by karpiel; 06-23-2009 at 05:37 PM.

I agree with most of what blurred said but is your complaint with bottled water that the plastic bottles contain BPA? first off what the fuck are you doing buying bottles water thats one of the biggest crocks of shit ever. and on top of that its terrible for the environment. And if your concerned about BPA you better stop drinking cans of beer because guess what they use to line the inside of the cans....thats right it contains BPA along with pretty much every canned food on the market.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/07/24/bpa-eu.html

your body can metabolize the small amount of BPA given off from a container many times faster than the container and give it off.

And yeah it turns out the hippy grocery stores and co-ops are the way to go. you even have to watch out at a lot of farmers markets now a days. I've seen a lot of big farms selling the same shit produce you get at the stores at a farmers market and people assume its either organic or better for them.

this is one of the reasons I want to move to the boonies, grow some food, raise a few animals and eat them

http://www.backyardchickens.com/
    Last edited by huckster989; 06-23-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Carry on my wayward son...

Blurred, I figure a motorhead like you should have enough guns and skills to stock the freezer with plenty of free range red meat, like elk and deer. Even my hippie cousin can manage, and make excellent sausage with his wood shed smokehouse.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Most beef in the grocery markets is corn fed crap. Watch "Kings of Corn" if you're still in the dark on this issue..........I've been confined to shop with the damn hippies at the health food store.
    "Kings of Corn" is an excellent film. Saw it on PBS a few years ago. You're right though, it is very difficult to find quality foods outside of the specialty/hippie markets. However, I think that we'll see a paradigm shift in the country over the next 15-20 years as people watch their obese un-healthy loved ones die of heart disease, diabetes, etc. Given time and pressure from consumers, suppliers will have to start to produce better quality minimally processed food.

just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    Blurred, I figure a motorhead like you should have enough guns and skills to stock the freezer with plenty of free range red meat, like elk and deer. Even my hippie cousin can manage, and make excellent sausage with his wood shed smokehouse.
    You've raised a great point.

It is for this reason alone that I am going to harvest A deer or an Elk this Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    I agree with most of what blurred said but is your complaint with bottled water that the plastic bottles contain BPA? first off what the fuck are you doing buying bottles water thats one of the biggest crocks of shit ever. and on top of that its terrible for the environment. And if your concerned about BPA you better stop drinking cans of beer because guess what they use to line the inside of the cans....thats right it contains BPA along with pretty much every canned food on the market.
    I too realize this.

It's the estrogen producing qualities of BPA that bother me.

BTW-drinking water without the poison known as chlorine is better for you.
    And yes, I know, some bottled water is simply tap water.

Just another thing that I feel is only 10000000000x more important than cigarette labels for the government to address.

The chlorine in water is not a big deal. They could probably get rid of the fluorine at this point given that most people brush their teeth.

It's not hard to eat healthy. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, the more colors the better, eat red meat as a treat, eat fish a few times a week (from a health standpoint not environmental) and eat more whole grains. You'll get lots of antioxidants from the above and don't need to eat anything labeled as such. Probiotics in yoghurt are interesting. Make sure that your brand has enough of the stuff to make it to your intestines. That's based off of reading An Apple a Day by Joe Schwartz which is basically a summary of current food science.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    The chlorine in water is not a big deal. They could probably get rid of the fluorine at this point given that most people brush their teeth.

It's not hard to eat healthy. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, the more colors the better, eat red meat as a treat, eat fish a few times a week (from a health standpoint not environmental) and eat more whole grains. You'll get lots of antioxidants from the above and don't need to eat anything labeled as such. Probiotics in yoghurt are interesting. Make sure that your brand has enough of the stuff to make it to your intestines. That's based off of reading An Apple a Day by Joe Schwartz which is basically a summary of current food science.
    Why are you responding with the same things I put in my OP?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    Minus a few seafood products, the fruits and vegetables section, and some dairy.....
    And after reading a few of the other posts in this thread, it only further proves my point that there is way too much ignorance about what's good for you and what isn't.

Eating healthy is easy. Two Big Mac's have 100% of your daily requirements of all the key food groups. Fat, Salt, Carbs and Grease (Like fat only better)

If it comes at you through a window ... I'M IN!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Blurred IS a hippie.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    eat more whole grains.
    No thanks.

I've been confined to shop with the damn hippies at the health food store.
    Grow your own dude. You have the time and can throw a shovel about. It is amazing what you can do with half an acre. Get to it. Potatoes kept cold and dark will store all winter and into spring. They get sweeter as they get older. Best thing is one potato planted yields about 2.5 pounds of new ones.

Unless I am hit by pestilence, or some other good old fashioned reality of life, I will grow about $6000 of food this summer. Most of it storable. Most of it low effort.

Considering I only need $12000 per year to live a simple mountain life, with food being the biggest expense, I just generated half of it from the dirt.

Not getting fat anytime soon either. Farming keeps you fit and the food is great. And it blends in with a seasonal mountain lifestyle better than anything else.

And food will ALWAYS have value, unlike cruse ships.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Welcome to the 70s.

BTW, Blurred, you think the milk is safe???
    Maybe if it's goats milk.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Welcome to the 70s.

BTW, Blurred, you think the milk is safe???
    Maybe if it's goats milk.
    Drinking milk is actually really weird unless you're an infant.
    Know why there's iodine in milk? "Iodine added to animal feed and by iodophor sanitizing solutions used in the dairy industry"
    Fortunately, there are other products in that area of the store.

I too realize this.

It's the estrogen producing qualities of BPA that bother me.

does that mean if I use a nalgene bottle I will grow tits? hmmm I need to get the GF some older nalgene bottles

I also came across this today

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gree...ms-cancer.html

and I usually don't feel this way but come on CA stop making laws and labeling everything as causing cancer guess what CA causes cancer.

One other thing to look at is when you are waiting in a check out line look at what the people around you are buying its scary its almost all processed foods containing tons of sugar and fat....really scary

I honestly saw a guy buy soda, two bags of candy, TV dinners and potato chips. that's one heart stopping bender to go on
    Carry on my wayward son...

Don't want to get fat? It's pretty simple. Do something active everyday! Eat more colored veggies. Downsize meat portions. Eat less cheese. Whole grains come in bread and increase your digestion substantially, they are one of the most important food groups and milk and eggs are good for you too. I can really get into all this if you all want cause I am taking a couple nutrition classes now.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."