Thread: moving to AK

moving to AK

So here goes. I am moving to Anchorage in August and I am looking to pick up some powder skis before I go. I have a pair of Volkl Karmas (185) that have been great to me, but at 6'2" 200 lbs I am thinking I am going to need something a little wider for AK. Right now I am thinking either the Gotamas or Nordica Blowers would be good. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which is better or would like to suggest an alternate. I have never skied in AK and to be honest living on the the east coast I really haven't spent much time in deep stuff. I'd appreciate any gear advice advice or AK ski knowledge you could offer.
    -Matt

Stop by here in Smithers on the way and I will hook you up. You need some AK skis for AK.

Everybody here will tell you you're JONG/use the search function/snowlerblades, right?
    Here is my take.
    1) Are you going to heliski, tour or resort ski?
    In case you are heliskiing you may be very happy with some reverse/reverse boards like dps lotus 138 http://www.dpsskis.com/page.php?pname=skis/lotus/138
    In case you are touring the more traditional yet pintail-rockered-uberlight shit is better http://www.dpsskis.com/page.php?pname=skis/lotus/120

Finally if you are resort skiing get a good stable ski like Volkl Katana in 190 or Nordica Blower if you will.
    And I should also support the maggots, so take a look at 186 Lhasa Pow or 190 Moment Ruby.
    Both are very popular skis on this forum. For more information on different ski models check the TECH TALK forum here [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8"]Tech Talk - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    Have fun and use search function.

Thanks for the suggestions Saddy. I am probably going to end up 50/50 touring and resort. I posted this here because it isn't just a gear question, but also a regional skiing info question. I figured when I posted that I'd get a lot of the standard JONG comments from the message board superstars, but whatever. I guess I am kind of a new jack so I'll deal with the egos and hope that the AK ski community isn't completely saturated with narcissistic elitist dicks.
    Having said that, I appreciate the advice and I'll definitely research all of those skis.

I've got a pair of 189 hippy stinx mounted alpine that you can buy when you get here. same ski as the seth viscous only skiied 6 times.

Quote Originally Posted by matso View Post
    I'll deal with the egos and hope that the AK ski community isn't completely saturated with narcissistic elitist dicks.
    Having said that, I appreciate the advice and I'll definitely research all of those skis.
    Aw, c'mon now, where'd you get that impression?

I'm only a dick on the internet...

The AK scene is actually pretty small and laid back. Most long time locals have been humbled by the expected close calls and the newbies rarely venture beyond the resort or herd up Tincan or Sunburst.

I would say steer clear of Anchorage and head straight for Girdwood. Ride Chair 6 and smoke out any local you can and you will be in like flinn.

I've got a pair of 188 Salomon Guns with Look PX12 binders you can buy when you get here. Probably have about 10 or so days on them. Great setup, I think they are exactly what your looking for
    Last edited by Loon; 06-23-2009 at 02:41 PM.

I am probably going to end up 50/50 touring and resort.
    Ok, then get this - http://pmgear.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=91.

Really, if you have money you should get the carbon version - very light, snappy, sick ski. You won't find anything better for the job.

First I have to say Welcome to Alaska. I moved from the East Coast as well, where my theory always was "ice is nice" and "slick is quick". Then I found powder. Girdwood is the place to live and I want to move there in a few years. Anchorage is not bad, and even though its a city, it is not very big. As for Alyeska, you can get all types of snow in one day. You can get icy, groomed and hard packed, and powder that does get skied out by noon. So like saddy said, you might want all different types of skis for the different types of snow. If you are going to get skis, look into getting a touring set up, so that you can hit new lines in the back country with a mid-fat ski 86-96 underfoot, and a nice light binding. Cat skiing is not expensive and you will definitely want some fat boards, personally I like the K2 Hellbents. Skiing Alaska is pretty fun! Enjoy it! Maybe meet up and ski!

Those DPS boards look ridiculous. Kind of expensive, but probably worth the 1000 bucks. I was hoping to live in Girdwood, but after visiting and realizing it is an hour commute to UAA (where I will be working) I am not sure it makes sense to live there. I wish there was a town mid-way...oh well. Does anyone know what the regulations are in Chugach? Can you ski whatever you want or is it regulated somehow? For some reason cat and heli skiing don't really appeal to me that much. I am really active and so I would rather hike. Being from the East I know nothing at all about avalanche safety and such and I would rather not die at age 25 so I figure I should be smart and stick to the resorts for a bit and then take some avalanche classes or find some locals to show me the ropes. Doe that sound reasonable or is there some other way I should go about it?

Quote Originally Posted by saddy View Post
    Ok, then get this - http://pmgear.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=91.

Really, if you have money you should get the carbon version - very light, snappy, sick ski. You won't find anything better for the job.
    hmmm...these seem to be a favorite on these message boards. Are they durable?

There are a couple of places on the road to Girdwood that you can live. Indian and Bird Creek.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Welcome,

There are plenty of folks up here who don't do the resort/cat/heli thing, but you gotta be safe first (well, OK a lot of us have regular safety meetings, but that is besides the point). you will need to have touring bindings, an Avalanche Beacon, a Probe and a good non-plastic shovel. and then you need to learn how to use them before you go off piste...

there are good resources at www.avalanche.org , the local forecasting center at http://www.cnfaic.org/advisories/current.php and some good school classes at http://www.alaskaavalanche.com/Site/Homepage.html

post up when you get here, there may be skis still to be had from people in the know...

Ira

No regulations if you are non motorized. Sleds are allowed here and there in the Anchorage area, otherwise the land is lawless. You should get a gun so you can ski and shoot ptarmigan at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    You should get a gun so you can ski and shoot ptarmigan at the same time.

sounds really strange but I saw this my first day in the AK BC, no shit

Holy smokes! Guess what? Today is the third happiest day in my life, after getting married and having a baby...

I received notice today from the National Visa Center that my wife's case has gone through and she is to travel to Montreal in early august to pick up visa for us to move to Alaska! As of august we have to move within 6 months, so I will be home for winter. I have been in a purgatory for 5 years waiting and scheming and even venting resentment on this very board.

So TGR, even if these potential sponsors still don't like me, maybe we can work a deal? Just tell where to meet you and I will climb up sans heli and we can film the sickness, eh?

In the words of Ozzy "Momma, I'm coming home."

Ahhh no rules. It is going to be nice to live in a place like that. I get so sick of all the red tape and regulations in PA. Now I just have to sell my car and get something with 4WD. Which reminds me, if I have a good 4WD vehicle (like say a 4runner) will I need studded tires as well, or is that pretty much for smaller FWD cars?
    Also, how bad are customs at the Canadian border, I am going to have a bunch of empty space in the UHAUL trailer so I am thinking I should fill it with hard to get items. Any ideas?

I've managed without ever having studs but they are helpful.

The Beaver Creek Border is pretty laid back. As long as you are legit, and say you are moving they probably won't dig through your stuff. It helps if you are crossing while it is -40.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Holy smokes! Guess what? Today is the third happiest day in my life, after getting married and having a baby...

I received notice today from the National Visa Center that my wife's case has gone through and she is to travel to Montreal in early august to pick up visa for us to move to Alaska! As of august we have to move within 6 months, so I will be home for winter. I have been in a purgatory for 5 years waiting and scheming and even venting resentment on this very board.

So TGR, even if these potential sponsors still don't like me, maybe we can work a deal? Just tell where to meet you and I will climb up sans heli and we can film the sickness, eh?

In the words of Ozzy "Momma, I'm coming home."
    Sweet - will be great to have you back! Hopefully we can go make some turns

Matso - keep in mind that AK isn't that far away, so you can always order stuff once you're here or visit World Cup and get what you need if you're going to pay full price anyway. Your skis will get you through the early season (unless you want to participate in the early early season Sept/Oct/Nov touring program, but some avy education and gear would be a good first step before diving into that anyway) and you can figure it all out once you know what you've gotten yourself into