Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Inflatable Kayaks, yay or nay?

Never been into boating but Ash and I both want to get into it. I have a canoe I use to fish from but after taking out some Tributary Tomcats the other day on the Middle Fork of the Flathead (class II section) we had a blast and really enjoyed how easy it was to inflate/deflate and toss into the back of the volvo. They seemed really stable and a lot of fun if used for some overnighters on the North Fork and for fishing as well as just floating and beer drinking.

Anybody use IK's? Are they a good buy for what we want to use them as (family outings, occasional class III's, overnighters)? We can get a deal on Aire/tributary and NRS boats. Are some better than others? Right now I'm thinking the Aire lynx I and Lynx II (would a two person IK be too difficult for me to paddle by myself while Ash is in a solo?)

Thanks in advance.

IKs aren't necessarily the raddest thing out there, however I love them. I've paddled the Hudson, Gates of Ladore and the Alpine section of the Snake River outside of Jackson in one. To me, you get the benefits of both, rafts and kayaks without the whole "stuck upside down" problems you get with hard boats. If you tip over in an IK, just jump back onto it and you're good to go -- even if it's upside down.

Right now, we have a 1-person Strike and we're thinking about getting a tandem to use as a gear boat (we're thinking of doing self-supported 2-person overnight trips -- and yes, that would be with a groover of some sort.). While I've used both, 1- and 2-person Tomcats, I've found the Strikes are not quite as stable, but they are a bit more agile and manueverable. In other words, the Strikes are a bit more tippy, but they turn much easier than the Tomcats. Still, you probably can't go wrong w/ either.

Here's a loaded Tomcat tandem on Gates of Ladore:

Here's a pic of my gf in her Strike...notice how much higher in the water this boat sits:
    Last edited by ski_adk; 06-21-2009 at 02:58 PM.

^^^Nice!! That looks exactly like the kind of stuff I wanna use them for. Whats the tandem like when paddling by yourself w/ or w/out gear?

I paddle an IK full time and it is the only way that I will go paddling. Made the switch two years ago from a hardshell to an IK because of leg issues. You do lose a little performance going with an IK, but the easy to use nature of the boat makes up for the loss of performance. I have a Custom Inflatables Thrillseeker that I paddle most of the summer, and I just picked up a Tomcat Tandem this spring to take friends and also to use as a solo gear boat. The Tomcat Tandem takes a little extra work to move around the river by yourself, but with two people it is a breeze. The Thrillseeker boats just like a hard shell. I have run multiple class III/IV runs in my IK's and have never had a problem. They do allow you to run a little more gnarlier water thand you would feel comfortable in a hardshell.

If you have any question about boats feel free to shoot me a pm.

Here is a photo of my Thrillseeker

inflatable kayaks?

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87414"]inflatable kayaks?[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by AsheanMT View Post
    ^^^Nice!! That looks exactly like the kind of stuff I wanna use them for. Whats the tandem like when paddling by yourself w/ or w/out gear?
    I've solo paddled the tandem Tomcat once on the Snake and it was fine. I just had to make my moves sooner. If anything, the tandem felt even more stable than the single. (Of course, when I did it in the single, I tried to run the meat of Big Kahuna.)

There's no shame in an IK. I grew up in an IK most of the time on the river and they are a blast for almost anyone on the river. Most IK's can handle any white water a sane person would throw at them. I've been on the snake, main salmon, ladore, yampa, west water, grand, ect and they have never let me down. Consider getting a tandem if your doing over nights and self supporting. We had the Aire Force XL on the grand and it surfs and punches holes like a king.

Quote Originally Posted by tenex198 View Post
    They do allow you to run a little more gnarlier water than you would feel comfortable in a hardshell.
    As long as you are OK with swimming in that gnarlier water.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Might also check out the Shredder, two person cataraft, prolly not what you're looking for but what the hell, and also the boats Jack's Plastic Welding sells, the Pak Cats...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Hear that. Re-took my swiftwater cert two weeks ago and was again humbled by the river. I will never run gnarly water. I'm man enough to know I ain't man enough.

IKs are great. I have two, a Sotar and a Lynx II, Both are very different boats but I would recommend either.
    I bought the Lynx II thinking it would be OK to use solo and Tandem but it's a little too big and the waterlines too long to be a good WW boat. I'm not saying it' a bad boat (I've run Boulder drop in it), it's just not going to turn as quickly as a solo boat. I've used it solo to do overnight trips and it's great for that, it will haul a ton of gear and still leave lots of room to paddle comfortably. You sit a little higher in the Lynx making your center of gravity higher but it's width makes it a very stable boat. I've added thigh straps for both paddlers, extra seat straps (to move the seat around easily) and a removable foam footblock (for paddling solo).

I really like my Sotar, The hull has a continous rocker that lets it turn much faster and ride over waves instead of punching thru them. It's narrower than the Aire and you sit lower in the water (but your ass is still above the water) making it a very stable boat.
    Stilettos (not the ones made by Star) are another good boat to look at, they have a foam floor so they take up more room but they are probaby the best performing boats made (with Sotar number 2). Thier pointy bow punches thru waves and they surf almost as well as a hardshell.
    Last edited by refried; 10-17-2010 at 10:59 AM.

>>They do allow you to run a little more gnarlier water than you would feel comfortable in a hardshell.<<

In my opinion, this is absolutely wrong, I guess it depends on how good of a kayaker you are. That being said, I love my Lynx II and paddle that far more now than my hardshell. It's not really for gnarly water though, you will get knocked out of the IK in many more situations than a hardshell. I find it far more comfy though and it's far better for overnighters and long days and it carries a hellovalot more beer. We take 'em down the Forks of the Kern at low water:

For fishing, it absolutely rocks cuz it's silent and comfy and you can put your bow paddler right into the perfect position for fly fishing under that shady tree. The Lynx II is good for both single and double occupancy and is easy to rearrange the seats.
    Last edited by Flaskman; 06-22-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Sooooo....planning on breaking the helmet out once you hit Lake Isabella?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

D'OH!

Well, that's Joe...he's on his own...

You know what, I have to rethink the whole gnarly water thing, too. When I was on my best kayak game, I was MUCH safer in a kayak than an IK. But now that I'm older and less confident in my roll, I paddle the IK in more situations just because if I fall out I can just jump back in, like someone else said earlier. But if I know I'm going to go paddle the gnarl at big water, I can bust through holes and big waves, or avoid them altogether, far better in the hardshell.

But usually, if the guys are going to go paddle the gnarl at big water, I just stay home.
    Last edited by Flaskman; 06-22-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Get the inflatables, Sean. I have very limited kayak/canoe experience, particularly in whitewater, but had an f'n blast in one on the North Umpqua last year. Ease of transport and storage is a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

Inflatables are great.

I have a shredder, which is ever better but a bitch to R1.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

If you have any question about boats
    Yeah when are you gonna come over here and run the Gally/ Bear-Trap with me so I can try that fucker out?

Huh? We're waitin on ya there Guy!

I guess my choice of using the word "gnarly" has thrown some off. In my days of running hardshells I never really had a great roll on balance, which made bigger runs impossible. The IK is just a little more stable for me than when I used to paddle a hardshell. They also allow people with minimal paddling skills to get on the water with out all the extra work that comes along with a hardshell.

Lexi, I will be in town this weekend, which boat do you want to try? Shoot me a pm.
    Last edited by tenex198; 06-22-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Right on, and in that case you are totally right. But in those photos I posted the water is flowing about 300 cfs, the ducky's are fine at that flow. But if the water is flowing over about 600 cfs you would be a fool to take a ducky down that run. The local kayaker studs run it up to 7000-8000 cfs...I conveniently have to go snowboarding that weekend, thank you very much.

edited cuz I just heard a story of them running it at 8 grand!
    Last edited by Flaskman; 06-24-2009 at 11:20 AM.

They also allow people with minimal paddling skills to get on the water with out all the extra work that comes along with a hardshell.
    Like learning to read the river? Just like fat skis + JONGs in the backcountry.

I think a couple of questions will help decide if an IK is right for you:

1. Are you a chick being dragged onto the river by her gnarly boating boyfriend?

2. Are you gay?

If you answered yes to either, IK's are right for you.

(I'm kidding. They are pretty practical, but you've got to make fun of them)

Lava must be easy class 3 and this guy is gay and a chick.???

Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Have a lynx 2 and love it, good for a lot of possible types of river trips, ocean, & lakes. but if I lived in Whitefish would go back to whitewater canoeing...although packing into the Bob or running some of the more mellow creeks would be really fun with the ik. If you want to be more connected to the ik you can get thigh straps.

What's wrong with an IK? I know it lets some people boat who are otherwise terrified of being upside down in a hardshell.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by AsheanMT View Post
    2 person lynx paddles great as a one person, and gives you a lot of room for gear