Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    10,613

    Ibuprofin Advil bad for Bone healing

    I came across this concept while googling for info to help heal my broken tibia.
    I even found a scientific article that compared the 4 scientific studies on point and found the data mixed and not fully conclusive.

    Intuitively it makes sense, since swelling and inflammation might be what stimulates bone growth.

    I asked my ortho at my last checkup and he said absolutely without a doubt, no question in his mind. Kinda surprising that he didn't mention it on m first visit if its so true.

    He had an anecdotal story of a young guy that was sort of an evil kneivel of constant broken bones. His latest break was not healing for several months. After stopping his regimen of 800mg of ibu every 6 hours (clearly they guy was an extreme case of ibu dosage for all his aches and pains) he healed up as expected by the next visit.

    An occasional dose should not hurt, but I know a lot of skiers that consider ibu a miracle drug to combat swelling and aches.
    When healing a broken bone, you may want to ease up on the ibu.

    Smoking is the worst possible thing for bone healing. My ortho said ibu is a distant second.

    He also said there are drugs that accelerate bone healing, but they have a side effect of increasing the risk of bone cancer. Said there are probably some elite athletes that take it to get back in the game.

    Interesting stuff. Thought I would share if it helps anyone else.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    264
    Sadly, alcohol is probably not great for bone healing either. Note that most of the relevant studies looked at rats forced to drink alcohol all the time or at alcoholics who have poor nutrition, but still. Probably best to cut down on the sauce when healing.

    Alcohol may impair wound repair as well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In rain shadow of the Sierra CC,NV
    Posts
    3,240

    Pain killers

    I wonder how Ibu stacks up against the more "core" painkillers, like Vicodin, Percozet, etc.?
    I'd assume they act the same, and not be good for bone healing? Or would they actually be worse, as they have a more profound painkilling effect?

    At least with Ibu you keep a clear head, and your bowels don't get all stopped up...

    I remember from other threads that Caffeine is bad for healing, and Yoghurt is good (Calcium).

    ...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    crown of the continent
    Posts
    13,938
    Smoking is the worst for bone healing, or tobacco?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

    Patterson Hood of the DBT's

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,779
    Side note: Freshly cut pineapple is good for healing tendon and joint injuries I read the other day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,634
    My ortho highly recommends hookers and blow.

    Wait, maybe that was my ski maker.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Overpriced Orchards
    Posts
    1,823
    In terms of painkillers: I think ibuprofen is special because it's an NSAID, as opposed to narcotics, which work differently. I.e., you're free to vic out, I believe.

    I've also heard that ibuprofen inhibits muscle growth as well...no pain, no gain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    308
    MY U.K. Ortho was very clear: No Ibru, no Asprin. Paracetemol is OK as are morphine derived if pain is bad.
    I found that they block me up like concrete so got off those quickly. I'd rather take the pain.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    10,613
    Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    I wonder how Ibu stacks up against the more "core" painkillers, like Vicodin, Percozet, etc.?
    I'd assume they act the same, and not be good for bone healing? Or would they actually be worse, as they have a more profound painkilling effect?

    At least with Ibu you keep a clear head, and your bowels don't get all stopped up...
    Its not the painkiller its the anti-inflammatory. Tylenol (= acetaminophin or paracetamol) is okay.
    In fact, Percocet is oxycodone and tylenol, so should be okay.
    If you are off the narcotics and have pain, take tylenol instead.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,818
    After I broke my leg my ortho said no ibu. I went without it for 3-4 weeks. After that, the inflammation was so bad that on the advice of my nurse practitioner godmother (who has had a bunch of bone issues herself) I went on 800mg every eight for a week. Helped tremendously. Her rationale was: 1. I'd gotten a good start on the healing; 2. I was using an ortho-prescribed Exogen, which was giving me a serious leg up; 3. Ibu/NSAIDs may hurt somewhat, but not a ton, and the studies (which she had also read) are somewhat inconclusive.

    The Exogen is pretty sweet, BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Teton County
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Smoking is the worst for bone healing, or tobacco?
    I'm pretty sure that it's the nicotine in the tobacco that causes the negative effects. It constricts your capillaries and inhibits blood flow. Blood is what carries what you need to heal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Its not the painkiller its the anti-inflammatory. Tylenol (= acetaminophin or paracetamol) is okay.
    In fact, Percocet is oxycodone and tylenol, so should be okay.
    If you are off the narcotics and have pain, take tylenol instead.
    This is what I've always been told as well. Tylenol only, no Ibu.

    Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    2. I was using an ortho-prescribed Exogen, which was giving me a serious leg up;
    The Exogen is pretty sweet, BTW.
    My ortho hasn't been real impressed in his opinion with these types of treatments. This is a bone stimulator, right? I talked to him about it last year, and he seemed to think there weren't any conclusive results from these devices. Anyone else have any experience with them? It seems like it would be tough to prove beyond doubt that these work seeing as everyone heals at different rates and it's not like you want to purposefully break both your legs, try this on one and not try it on the other, just to see the difference in heal time.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    My ortho hasn't been real impressed in his opinion with these types of treatments. This is a bone stimulator, right? I talked to him about it last year, and he seemed to think there weren't any conclusive results from these devices. Anyone else have any experience with them? It seems like it would be tough to prove beyond doubt that these work seeing as everyone heals at different rates and it's not like you want to purposefully break both your legs, try this on one and not try it on the other, just to see the difference in heal time.
    Check the fifth link down, it's a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    under the hogback shadow
    Posts
    2,872
    Mrs EO found this out the hard way. Her first cervical fusion in 2000 failed primarily due to her taking a max dose of IB daily for months for the pain. Doc never told her not to do that. She had the fusion redone in 2003 after an xray showed she didn't have a solid bone. The surgeon told us the old bone was mush when he pulled it out. Seems she was a real life bobble head. She hasn't used IB since.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    10,613
    https://newatlas.com/medical/anti-in...rcadian-clock/

    Interesting article claims nighttime is the worst time. It’s when your bones knit?
    Not sure about the source of the info.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    3,379
    It’s the a known effect. Consider Celebrex if you need an nsaid


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    1,758
    Don't take tylenol.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,362
    ^^definitely don't take Tylenol and drink. Tylenol's generally well-tolerated but alcohol and tylenol is poison. There are other caveats with Tylenol, I wouldn't want to take a lot of it over a long period of time.

    Back in early '18 after I broke my pelvis (acetabulum, to be more precise), I did some research on the topic of NSAID's, particularly iburofen, and bone healing. My conclusion at the time was the prohibition was based on scant evidence and there's also some evidence that points the other way. I did take some ibuprofen for "break out" pain and it was way more effective than the Tylenol for that, but I tried to keep my usage down to a minimum. This middle course seemed reasonable at the time and to me it still does. It worked out fine for me but YMMV of course.

    I had a hip replacement 12 days ago and have not gone to the ibuprofen so far, but that's in lrge part because the tylenol/tramadol/celebrex routine I'm on seems to be working fine. But I wouldn't hesitate to take some ibu if it was killing me.

    I'm not a doctor or medical professional in any way, so make up your own mind of course..

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,798
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Don't take tylenol.
    Convincing argument.

    AFAIK Tylenol/APAP is widely regarded as the safest pain reliever. It should never be used with alcohol and maxing out the allowable dosage for long periods of time is probably not a good idea, but for short-term use it's fine.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    3,379
    Iceman, don’t take ibuprofen as long as your on Celebrex. Bad for the kidneys.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    27,248
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ^^definitely don't take Tylenol and drink. Tylenol's generally well-tolerated but alcohol and tylenol is poison. There are other caveats with Tylenol, I wouldn't want to take a lot of it over a long period of time.

    Back in early '18 after I broke my pelvis (acetabulum, to be more precise), I did some research on the topic of NSAID's, particularly iburofen, and bone healing. My conclusion at the time was the prohibition was based on scant evidence and there's also some evidence that points the other way. I did take some ibuprofen for "break out" pain and it was way more effective than the Tylenol for that, but I tried to keep my usage down to a minimum. This middle course seemed reasonable at the time and to me it still does. It worked out fine for me but YMMV of course.

    I had a hip replacement 12 days ago and have not gone to the ibuprofen so far, but that's in lrge part because the tylenol/tramadol/celebrex routine I'm on seems to be working fine. But I wouldn't hesitate to take some ibu if it was killing me.

    I'm not a doctor or medical professional in any way, so make up your own mind of course..
    Wow, Ice, good luck on the recovery. I got my knee replacement 12 days ago as well. Interested to hear how your healing is coming along, mine has been amazing. I am walking without crutches, on my stationary bike (just simple revolutions), and I am going out to do some snow blowing this afternoon.
    Heal up!
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,362
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Iceman, don’t take ibuprofen as long as your on Celebrex. Bad for the kidneys.
    Noted. Thanks.

    edit: the way I am, I woulda done some research, at least run it though a drug interaction checker, before doing it anyways, but it's good to just know it and go from there.
    Last edited by iceman; 01-28-2020 at 12:33 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,362
    Hey Rideit. I had noted that you had made some health comments but wasn't sure what the deal was. Supposedly knees are tougher than hips to get over, it sounds like you're doing great. I ditched the walker (that they made me get) after about 36 hours. Been using a cane since. Biggest problem has been the swelling in my thigh, the hip itself feels great. For about 10 days straight my thigh was tight as a drum, you could've bounced a quarter off it, and it really restricted the movement of my knee too just because the whole assembly was just as tight and sore as could be. Thoughts of compartment syndrome crossed my mind, the thing was that swollen and painful.

    But starting this past Saturday the swelling started to let go and go down, and I regained more normal mobility and things have been going well since then. Day before yesterday I went for a walk outside, only a couple hundred yards but it was great to get out of the house. Yesterday and today I walked more and longer each day. I'm no longer putting much weight on the cane, and I can go short distances without using it and that's improving rapidly it seems.

    Tomorrow I go back to the Doc and get the bandage removed and get an evaluation from him, so we'll see but I'm pretty much expecting just good news at this point.

    Crazy you've been on the bike! Very cool. And snowblowing, wow. But people are different. There was somebody on here not too long ago talking about their hip replacement and they said they went for a mountain bike ride the day after surgery ("but just on trails") and there's NFW I could've done that, so it's case by case. Glad to hear you're doing well, let's start a club!
    Last edited by iceman; 01-28-2020 at 12:44 PM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    27,248
    It is amazing, modern technology. Sorry yours has been a bit tougher. Doc says I am well ahead of the recovery curve compared to most.
    Good luck!
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,362
    Thanks mang, I'm doing fine. Seems like you're well on your way.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    31,014
    Ice, you got your new hip already????

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •