Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thumbs up Career Change: Complete

My exciting news is that today I got a job offer as an EMT!

It's official: So long, Wall Street, and hello, Healthcare.

This is just such an happy moment I couldn't refrain from posting it up. It's with an ambulance company in the East Bay, and after six months or so I'll be running ALS calls as well, so East Bay'ers- watch out, soon I could show up if you call 911.

The hiring manager called me today and when he told me it was all I could do not to screech in his ear with excitement. Apparently because of the economy, they couldn't bring me on full time (yet), so I will only be there a couple days a week, which is fine because it will give me time to do all the other classes and certifications that I need to get started on (postbacc classes, phlebotomy, etc etc etc... this stuff never ends, lol) as well as keep volunteering at the ER and doing therapy dog hospital visits with the woofer.

After being unemployed for so long, this is just such a great feeling... plus when you undergo a giant 180* career change like this, it's so nerve-wracking; you second guess yourself so many times abandoning all this stuff you've worked for over the past 10 years. So it's extremely satisfying to finally exhale and just savor that payoff.

YES!

Beers on me for all!
    Last edited by BeanDip4All; 06-15-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Congrats, way to get out of the corporate rat race.

Where can I collect my free beer?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Congrats!
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Way to go! Raising a PBR tallboy to ya! And, as ya know, the best BLS'ers are the ones who know when it's not! Best a luck...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Nice work, Ceej. Proud of you.

Congratulations. That's a scary thing to do. What a relief, eh.

Congratulations. It's a great feeling to get a job your after.

Noice!

Out curiosity, how did you get hired as am EMT if you still have to take all those courses? Are they just hiring anybody with a DL and clean driving record these days.

:0

And when, perchance, are these beers available for redemption?
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Congrats.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Congratulations!

**Just remember when you're on your 3rd "involuntary commitment" transfer in a row that it's good experience and a stepping stone**

I'm sure you'll do great.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Noice!

Out curiosity, how did you get hired as am EMT if you still have to take all those courses? Are they just hiring anybody with a DL and clean driving record these days.

:0

And when, perchance, are these beers available for redemption?
    You know, although I've heard a few of the strictly BLS companies out here will "prettymuch hire anyone with a pulse," my own job search was quite the contrary- it was tough out there when I was looking! The companies wouldn't even talk to you until you had your ambulance DL, hours and hours of FEMA training (uuuuugh- sucked), NREMT, county EMT, DM6 form, medical examiner form, vaccinations, etc. A couple of them also wanted a credit report(!). And a lot of the companies were just NOT hiring. Which makes getting an offer all the more sweet.

And no, I've done all the EMT certs and classes already, the ones I listed above are for other stuff: ER tech ---> med school, or what have you. Although as an EMT we have so much freaking continuing ed to recertify that i should prettymuch get started on all of that now anyways!
    Last edited by BeanDip4All; 06-15-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Awesome! Now the real learning starts.

You do know that a Woofer cert has nothing to do with dogs right?

nice, hope you're ready to see some freaky shit!
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Time to rent:

Mother, Juggs, and Speed

Bringing Out the Dead

The Ambulance

and sounds like you put the work in, so the job was well deserved.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Woo hoo!

(FYI, EMT cert and experience are highly sought after on Ski Patrols, and should allow you to challenge OEC. Just saying.)
    not counting days 2016-17

Alis Volat Propiis

( By her own wings she flies)

Awesome...congrats!

gunit130 Guest
    Hey BeanDip,

Congrats, sounds like you have free'd yourself.

Do you mind sharing what the pay is like for a starting EMT? You can never really count on the salary websites to be ultra accurate.

Stoked for you! I'm almost done with my EMT class and still not sure if I want to go in that direction, but having barely worked the past few months, I need to give myself some options. My ridealong for class was pretty intense, one of the biggest adrenaline rushes I've had in a while, and that's without having to see people's insides. Don't know if I want to deal with that on a regular basis. I'm sure in the city it won't be long before you're seeing the gnar for real. Report back in a few weeks and let us know it's going.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    nice, hope you're ready to see some freaky shit!
    Ya think ?

Congrats Beandip! Must be a nice feeling.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Wow C, had no idea, this is huge! Takes some elephant-sized balls to make such a 180deg career change. Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Bringing Out the Dead.
    AWESOME movie.
    Also rent Third Watch season 1 ... !!!

Sweet! Time for me to go crash into another tree and hitch a not-so-free ride!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    Hey BeanDip,
    Do you mind sharing what the pay is like for a starting EMT? You can never really count on the salary websites to be ultra accurate.
    My department starts BLS techs at $9 / hr. There's couple of factories in town that contract EMTs through Secuitas and start you out between $11-$12 / hr. Paramedics for Fort Wayne make between $14 - $21 / hr, however AMR recently lost the contract renewal and I'm not sure what the new company will do once the union contract expires. My first paid job for a private BLS transfer service was minimum wage at the time, $5.15.

The pay sucks for the responsibility and risk, especially in the city on an ALS rig. But it's a very rewarding career.

Congrats and good luck with your new job.

Way to go !

It is a great feeling. I left a job a while ago after realizing they'd never get their collective shit together and it was going to keep dumping on me, for a job where i have just as much work, but i have the control to right the ship. It's good to have that.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !