Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

sram hammerschmidt?

Anybody here tried it out yet? Not that I'm looking to spend 600 dollars right now, just curious about it. Does it come stock on anything yet?

Search is broken.

Its more than $600
    You have to use a Hammerschmidt specific Bottom Bracket and a Hammerschmidt specific trigger shifter. I priced it out last night at Go-Ride.com and for the FR version with everything (x.9 level trigger) it was over $800 with taxes, title, licensing, dealer prep and destination fees...
    -James

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.

And for now your frame has to have iscg tabs.

I want one...that is all

I forgot to say that you also can't have a single pivot rear on your bike either. Something about chain tension. I don't remember the details but the frame designer guy at GF explained it to me recently.

also, although not overly publicized, i am told by reliable sources it will not work properly with VP suspensions (same reason as above I believe).
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Yeah same reason. We were talking about a bunch of different designs. I think he said there's nothing that would be a significant problem with an fsr rear.

What I would like to do is build up a bike with that up front and the i-motion9 in the rear.

Looks awesome, sounds like it needs work.

Give it a couple years and it could be the ticket.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

hammerscmidt is super suimple and works beyond awesome.

if you really care about anti squat in a middle vs. small ring, then you *MIGHT* barely be able to notice on some single pivots. and only when climbing.

otherwise, it is comapitble with anything, and alot of folks are running them with iscg adapters and had no bad luck.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    hammerscmidt is super simple and works beyond awesome.

if you really care about anti squat in a middle vs. small ring, then you *MIGHT* barely be able to notice on some single pivots. and only when climbing.

otherwise, it is compatible with anything, and alot of folks are running them with iscg adapters and had no bad luck.
    Thank you. Being here in the big city there aren't many running around and not much for user reviews.

Off to see the wizard...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Yeah same reason. We were talking about a bunch of different designs. I think he said there's nothing that would be a significant problem with an fsr rear.
    That claim has absolutely no basis in reality. FSR reduces to a low single pivot with a semi-floating brake. Anyone who makes that claim to you is bullshitting you or doesn't understand physics -- which includes almost all bicycle suspension designers, so don't feel bad.

The only problem with a Hammerschmidt could possibly be that the suspension is designed to work best with chain torque coming from the middle ring, not the granny. Most suspensions are designed this way, and it has nothing to do with whether the bike is single pivot, VPP, dw-link, FSR, or anything else. They'll all squat more (or jack less, depending on your viewpoint) in granny than middle ring...it's just physics.

In short: if you don't like the way your bike pedals in granny gear, a Hammerschmidt is a bad idea. If you think it's fine, you'll have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    In short: if you don't like the way your bike pedals in granny gear, a Hammerschmidt is a bad idea. If you think it's fine, you'll have no problem.
    Ditto on that. A friend has one on his Bullit and it works fine, although I'm sure he notices pedal feedback more than he would if he had a larger ring on there.

I put one on the Syren in early spring and it is AMAZING!!!!

The only problem is that I don't see how I will ever live without one again. Seriously the single best upgrade I have ever done on a bike. It shifts crisply, under power, as advertised, and doesn't get messed up in nasty mud, rain, etc. (And I've been riding in some disgusting mud with it in Angel Fire, etc.) I paid full retail for it and it was still worth it.

Also - I cracked my frame a month or so ago and had to take it off the old frame and put it on the new one. I was a little worried about the dissassembly and whatnot. But it came off easy and went back on with no issues at all. It might be a hair heavier than my cranks/chainguide/bashguard was before, but works so well that I don't care.

EDIT - forgot to mention that it also gave me several more inches of clearance over the bashguard/ring I had on the bike before.
    Last edited by altagirl; 06-15-2009 at 07:30 AM.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

pm craigstr....he has one as well.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

I figured since the guy that explained it to me doesn't do fsr frames maybe there was some merit to it. He didn't have to say anything nice about them...

If I need to use the granny ring for more than a few seconds my fat, lazy, old ass is walking anyway so it would never come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    That claim has absolutely no basis in reality. FSR reduces to a low single pivot with a semi-floating brake. Anyone who makes that claim to you is bullshitting you or doesn't understand physics -- which includes almost all bicycle suspension designers, so don't feel bad.

The only problem with a Hammerschmidt could possibly be that the suspension is designed to work best with chain torque coming from the middle ring, not the granny. Most suspensions are designed this way, and it has nothing to do with whether the bike is single pivot, VPP, dw-link, FSR, or anything else. They'll all squat more (or jack less, depending on your viewpoint) in granny than middle ring...it's just physics.

Hammerschmidt is available stock on a Devinci Frantik 3 hammerschmidt edition & Rocky Mt Flatline Pro. I looked at the Frantik one when I was buying my Frantik. I rarely ever use anything but one chainring so it would be a waste of cash for me. I'd rather have a Rohloff hub.

http://www.devinci.com/11607_an.html

Last edited by Beaver; 06-15-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

My friend has one on his pitch, and he put it this way, you push the lever one way, its gets harder to pedal, you push the lever the other way, it gets easier. And it only sticks out like an inch below the BB.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Jamis XAM II comes stock with one. Only pedaled it around the parking lot, but if it holds up, it will be amazing.

I'd REALLY like to put one on my Dirtbag. I am waiting for the price to come down.

Unfortunatly, the price is almost twice that of a Gravity Light Crankset, x.9 front Derailer and shifter, DRS, etc.
    -James

its pretty much the bitches tits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

i rode the Marin british specced Attack Trail at the vegas demo last year and was blown away
    my first question was "why no North American specced bike?"

wait and see i was told, so i am waiting and seeing.....
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

That thing is amazing, I cant wait for a similar product for the rear.

I hate dérailleurs with every ounce of my being, TG for smart peeps making shite for bikes
    Hello darkness my old friend

They should have called it Srammerschmidt.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    That thing is amazing, I cant wait for a similar product for the rear.

I hate dérailleurs with every ounce of my being, TG for smart peeps making shite for bikes
    They have been around for YEARS.
    Sturmy Archer makes one
    Rohloff makes the Speedhub: http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/

I've always wondered at teh feasability of putting one of those on my DH bike and eliminating the derailer and cassette system, however, I think the suspension needs some slack in the chain to be able to work properly (at least in the case of my bike).

Oh, and the rohloff uses a gripshift... I HATE Gripshift.
    -James

Saw an article about the Hammerschmidt in a recent bike mag, then saw this thread.
    Not sure I get the point of this thing ... yes, smoother & quicker shifting under any conditions. BUT ... I rarely have to shift the chain rings under stress or "asap". It's usually the rear cogs that I need to change quick and under stress.

... so, why not spend the same amount of money on a Rohloff hub and have a single chain ring in the front?