"Last visited" feature dead = "new posts" search less helpful

The "you last visited" feature doesn't seem to be tracking properly -- so when I hit the "new posts" search button, it brings up a lot of older stuff that I already looked at.

If I log out manually, then log back in, the "last visited" time functions normally.

Same problem whether on IE6 or on Google Chrome.

Can you fix it? Thanks guys.

works fine in FF
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I was/am having the same problem. On a mac using Firefox. Solution is to click the "Log Out" button when leaving TGR. If I forget, it doesn't see the login/out.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I have the same problem with the threads listed under "subscribed threads" in the user CP. What do you expect me to do.... my work?? Mac/firefox here.

thanks

I've been bitching about this for weeks to no avail. FF too. Extending the cookie time was stupid.

I'm having the same problem w/ FF on a Mac. Very annoying, much harder to keep up.

advres Guest
    #1) I hit the new posts button
    #2) I get 5 pages of threads everytime.
    #3) I go through them all until I get to the last reply time I was on (usually page 2 or 3).
    #4) rinse, repeat.

Am I the only one who thinks this ISN'T rocket science?

Click new posts in thread
    Jumps to page x
    Actual new posts are on page x+y

I'm not the only one who thinks this is fucking ridiculous.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Click new posts in thread
    Jumps to page x
    Actual new posts are on page x+y

I'm not the only one who thinks this is fucking ridiculous.
    Whaaa? The amount of posts you allow to a page is set in your user CP. It makes pages easier to load. Are you saying that you want JUST the new posts to show up and not the rest of the thread (I don't agree)? I have mine set to 25 posts per page. So if I was looking at a thread and the "new post" was 23 and there was 10 posts after, yes I would see two posts and then have to click to page 2 to see the remaining. Isn't this how it has always been?

PS... the button is "go to first new post". This means it is still showing the thread as it is, but just jumping to the first one you haven't seen. If by "fucking ridiculous" you mean "fucking lame you are bitching about it", then yes, I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    PS... the button is "go to first new post". This means it is still showing the thread as it is, but just jumping to the first one you haven't seen. If by "fucking ridiculous" you mean "fucking lame you are bitching about it", then yes, I totally agree.
    By fucking ridiculous, I mean it doesn't work.

advres,

I am having the same issue (I think). Clicking new posts brings me somewhere in the thread, say post #23. I have read all the way to post #30 last time I was here, and my first "New Post" to read should be #31.

It used to work that way.

In my control panel it is also showing a bunch of threads that I have read that haven't been posted in for a few days. Never used to do that.

Last time I brought this up I was pretty much told it was my fault. Sounds like everybody else is getting ignored too...

advres Guest
    OK, I was completely missing your guys point. I am sorry... my bad reading comprehension. It is directly correlated with the changes they made showing tons of users logged in too. I guess the powers that be like the new changes? But I do agree that if the option of "go to first post" is displayed, it should at least work correctly.

For those of you having problems - either the new post link doesn't take you to the newest since you last read, or the "new posts" button at top generates a page or two more of posts than ones you haven't read, just remember to press the "log out" button at the top before you navigate away from TGR. Then it will get it right the next time you log in. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. It didn't used to require you to Log Out each time, but now if you don't do it, it won't remember the correct time for your last log in/out.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

OK, I was completely missing your guys point. I am sorry... my bad reading comprehension. It is directly correlated with the changes they made showing tons of users logged in too. I guess the powers that be like the new changes? But I do agree that if the option of "go to first post" is displayed, it should at least work correctly.
    tons of users logged in=more ad revenue

Sincure,

I clear my cache/history every time i close my browser..

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    tons of users logged in=more ad revenue
    That's really untrue- the only reason we extended the cookie time is because our designer can't find the "remember me" button.

All you guys- can you try to delete all your cookies and see if this issue is still present?

Cookies deleted. Give it some time and I'll let you know if it is still bungled. And get a new designer, I'd recommend someone less haute couture.

edit: cookie flush seems to have taken care of it.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 06-09-2009 at 05:26 PM.

#1) I hit the new posts button
    #2) I get 5 pages of threads everytime.
    #3) I go through them all until I get to the last reply time I was on (usually page 2 or 3).
    #4) rinse, repeat.

Am I the only one who thinks this ISN'T rocket science?
    "new posts" has become "todays posts."

I don't mind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

bring back the old cookie timeout. this is beyond recockulous (even when the "new posts" button isn't working).

i get it: you want to report "we have thousands of users on our website" to your advertisers when in fact you have a few hundred, but pretty soon you'll start chasing people away. if it's not usable it won't be used, simple as that.

Damn, it's fucked again.