Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 Pitch Pro vs. 08 Stumpy FSR Elite

My 12 year old S-Works hardtail is on its way out and I am trying to decide between these two as my first FS bike. My LBS has both in stock and they are at the same discounted price ($2k). The terrain I ride is typical New England. Wet, Rocky, Rooted and technical up and down. I would like to try and do a little lift served at the ski areas as well. I have a deposit on the Elite but I am considering the Pitch because I think it might be a more durable option without too much compromise on the XC and uphill performance. I guess if money was no object I would be on an enduro sl. Any NE riders have experience with either of these?

my bro-in-law lives in NH. He rode a stumpy 120 for a few years and now rides the Pitch Pro.

Without a doubt, he says the Pitch blows the stumpy out of the water.

For east coast stuff, especially if you want to hit the resorts, the Pitch is a way better choice. Throw a 160mm fork up front if you can - it really makes the bike shine. (see if the shop will work with you on a fork swap to save a bit of cash or something)
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Cool, thanks for the feedback - I'm going to try and test-ride both back to back tonight.

pitch pro with out a doubt.

not my first choice but out of those 2 its the better choice.

Leelau has a great review on here about it.

My .02.
    A test ride is the best way to tell, obviously

I had an Enduro Sl and I've been looking at replacing it with a stumpy. The enduro sl was a great bike, wish I still had it because it was my baby but it also kinda lumbered along the trails up here. It was money for the high speed descents of Montana, but I always wanted more pep at the pedals in the tight trees of upstate NY. It feels like I'm always going 5-10 mph around here: tight turn, over a log, around a turn, slick roots, up a climb, down a hill, hairpin turn...

Focus on Liftserve: Get a bigger bike
    like a quiver fat ski.

Focus on rides that go up for a while and then down for a while: Pitch / enduro
    pitch /enduro are like owning 1 pair of skis w/ 100mm waists. Perfect everyday in the west but a compromise in the east.

Focus on rides that are tight and twisty and up and down: Stumpy.
    80+ midfat. that's useful all over the mountain, not just pow days or in the trees.

Pitch is the way to go IMHO. I bought a Stumpy in 2006, and now find myself riding my 29 Hardtail alot, but wish I had something w/ a bit more travel than the stumpy, like the Pitch for the days when the hardtail isn't enough.

I've been contemplating getting something more in line with the Pitch and getting rid of my stumpjumper frame.

Bushwaker - You ever ridden an FSR bike? I know you're a huge fan of DW Link/Maestro, but FSR's pretty damn good to.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    My .02.
    Focus on Liftserve: Get a bigger bike
    like a quiver fat ski.

Focus on rides that go up for a while and then down for a while: Pitch / enduro
    pitch /enduro are like owning 1 pair of skis w/ 100mm waists. Perfect everyday in the west but a compromise in the east.

Focus on rides that are tight and twisty and up and down: Stumpy.
    80+ midfat. that's useful all over the mountain, not just pow days or in the trees.
    Great analogy - and since I will still have my s-works hardtail (until the frame snaps) the pitch is the better choice.

Bushwacker - what would be your first choice?

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    For east coast stuff, especially if you want to hit the resorts, the Pitch is a way better choice. Throw a 160mm fork up front if you can - it really makes the bike shine. (see if the shop will work with you on a fork swap to save a bit of cash or something)
    I have a Pitch Pro and love it, live in Tahoe. IMHO, I think the bike shines just the way it is, a 160 fork would chop out the front end and although fun for freeride I think it would make it tough to handle for steep climbs in technical terrain as the author describes his riding conditions.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Pitch is the way to go IMHO. I bought a Stumpy in 2006, and now find myself riding my 29 Hardtail alot, but wish I had something w/ a bit more travel than the stumpy, like the Pitch for the days when the hardtail isn't enough.

I've been contemplating getting something more in line with the Pitch and getting rid of my stumpjumper frame.

Bushwaker - You ever ridden an FSR bike? I know you're a huge fan of DW Link/Maestro, but FSR's pretty damn good to.
    The FSR IMO is better climber on smoother trails than Maestro. Also the bikes are way lighter than comparable giants. Maestro has a more magic carpet feel IMO and still pedals better on rougher stuff. I have ridden both a XC Pro/and Stumpjumper with FSR. I have also ridden the Enduro SL(which from my understanding is the same frame as the Pitch just with better suspension). All were really good bikes, the Enduro while a bit of porker rolls over east coast stuff alot easier and doesnt get caught in rocks. Id imagine the pitch would feel similar. but like I said I have never ridden a Pitch.

My perfect east coast Do everything but lift serviced(well maybe some) would be a Trance X with a Pike 454 and Fox Rp23. You would have 100-140F/130R travel with the option of steepening it up for smoother flowly single track....or making it slack for tech/downhill. there are things the both the Pitch(decend stronger frame) and Stumpy(maybe a better climber, lighter) do better than the trance X but the Trance is better all around. and again I am huge Giant homer. and in the process of upgrading from my old trance to a Trance X with more AM build.

These are the two bikes that I am looking at as well. Would be interested to know what the difference in weight is between the two?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

I think the elite weighs in around 27 and the pitch pro is in the 32 range.

Pretty much what I expected. 32 pounds combined with a 67* HT angle seems like the perfect combo.

69.5* ht angle on a giant Trance x. anyone know the weight on one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Pretty much what I expected. 32 pounds combined with a 67* HT angle seems like the perfect combo.

69.5* ht angle on a giant Trance x. anyone know the weight on one of those?
    well first run a 140 fork and it would be more like 68 degrees, second the weight of people stock X0s is around 26LB, with a Pike and decent 2.4 - 2.3 tires I think 28-29lb would be decent guess.

Trigger pulled on Pitch Pro. The SJ FSR Elite was more precise, but I had more fun and felt more apt to take risks on the Pitch. It definitely won me over on fun factor alone.

I'm going to be buying one of these for my wife soon I think. We're going to Demo a Pitch Pro on Thurs.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

@skibumh: yay. happy new bike to you! what shop did you buy from? (i.e. where are you located and do they ship?)

You won't regret it. That Pitch Pro is the best value for dollar bike I've been on in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    @skibumh: yay. happy new bike to you! what shop did you buy from? (i.e. where are you located and do they ship?)
    Belmont Wheelworks (wheelworks.com). Not sure if they ship or not.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    You won't regret it. That Pitch Pro is the best value for dollar bike I've been on in a long time
    Thanks Lee, your review was a major contributing factor to my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    I have a Pitch Pro and love it, live in Tahoe. IMHO, I think the bike shines just the way it is, a 160 fork would chop out the front end and although fun for freeride I think it would make it tough to handle for steep climbs in technical terrain as the author describes his riding conditions.
    meh; i ride in similar conditions/trails, and love my pitch with a lyrik up front.

i think the bike works better as specialized seems to want to sell/bill it with a taller fork/slacker angles is all.

lyrik coil u-turn is a great fork if he really wants it to be an all-rounder that he can also have set up a bit burly for hitting some resort stuff. drop travel down for general riding, travel up for bigger stuff. i've found that most people doing similar get used to, and just end up leaving the travel up all the way.

the frame is ok with up to but not more than a 160mm fork, per specialized themselves.

anyhow, to the OP: have fun with your new kick ass ride!

scrub - I'd agree with you if the Pike wasn't such a good fork in itself. I'd say leave the Pike on for a bit to see how it performs then upgrade if necessary.

meh; i ride in similar conditions/trails, and love my pitch with a lyrik up front.

i think the bike works better as specialized seems to want to sell/bill it with a taller fork/slacker angles is all.

lyrik coil u-turn is a great fork if he really wants it to be an all-rounder that he can also have set up a bit burly for hitting some resort stuff. drop travel down for general riding, travel up for bigger stuff. i've found that most people doing similar get used to, and just end up leaving the travel up all the way.

the frame is ok with up to but not more than a 160mm fork, per specialized themselves.

anyhow, to the OP: have fun with your new kick ass ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    scrub - I'd agree with you if the Pike wasn't such a good fork in itself. I'd say leave the Pike on for a bit to see how it performs then upgrade if necessary.
    Well damn maybe I need to give this another look then; what would the 160mm fork slacken the HA out to?
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Well damn maybe I need to give this another look then; what would the 160mm fork slacken the HA out to?
    a hair over 66. as said, the pike is a really great fork. ride it and see what happens. imo, if you just want general trail riding duties, no worries. if you want to start doing bigger things/riding lift stuff, the taller fork and slacker head angle is nice.

a hair over 66. as said, the pike is a really great fork. ride it and see what happens. imo, if you just want general trail riding duties, no worries. if you want to start doing bigger things/riding lift stuff, the taller fork and slacker head angle is nice.
    So adding 20mm of travel only changes the HA by less than a degree, at 67 now with the 140mm fork?