Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

maine looks perfect for you but factor in the skiing which is decent for EC standards i'd go with northern VT, around jay or maybe even closer to stowe all are good choices.

hockey is huge UVM UNH BC, bruins.

motorcycling is great loads of cool empty windy mountain roads.

cops are generally cool and but its really give or take.

all around good people, and a close proximity to cool cities like montreal boston burlington girls are always within reach.

especially the hippie chicks

every year I have one take away memory from ski season that stands out above the rest. This year was skiing bumps at solitude with mainers. A bunch of guys and a girl I didn't know, and me...zipperlining at terminal velocity with these strangers, laughing our asses off....just like I used to do with my roommate from (you guessed it...) Maine.

It makes me think. If only there were powder days and steeps and trees. I got tired of skiing hard snow in Taos and CB. I can only imagine rain/freeze/groomers-and-joeys EC skiing.

I'd like to find a way to give it a chance. I'm going to be thinking about these places you guys have suggested. this thread is a real help.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    every year I have one take away memory from ski season that stands out above the rest. This year was skiing bumps at solitude with mainers. A bunch of guys and a girl I didn't know, and me...zipperlining at terminal velocity with these strangers, laughing our asses off....just like I used to do with my roommate from (you guessed it...) Maine.

It makes me think. If only there were powder days and steeps and trees. I got tired of skiing hard snow in Taos and CB. I can only imagine rain/freeze/groomers-and-joeys EC skiing.

I'd like to find a way to give it a chance. I'm going to be thinking about these places you guys have suggested. this thread is a real help.

Less joeys in the Adirondacks--they all go to VT. If you decide on east cost, dont rule out Whiteface, Adirondacks, Lake Placid. Adirondacks has WAY more water than VT and a very rich hockey history in Lake Placid, close to the border and Montreal. there are plenty of outlying towns that are very inexpensive--look at Saranac, Bloomingdale, wilmington, jay, ausable....
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    I'm assuming there isn't much of hockey scene in Elko, and don't know about the women, but everything else.
    They were raising the money to build an indoor rink when I was there for the summer in 2003/2004, but there seemed to be quite some argument rather it should be ice or roller. Quite a large population of Canadians with the mining in the area, so I'd think that they'd be able to raise the money for ICE. Women? Well, it's not much better than summit county, that's for sure....

Skiing is ridiculous in the rubies, but is pretty much 100% sled access only unless you can drop 10 grand a week for heliskiing.

Is it where Yeti should go though? Probably not. I'm sure he's been there, anyway.

No womens in da boonies. Find you a woman FIRST. Then she will most likely kill that wandering spirit.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

I don't want to wander anywhere. I want to find home. Anywhere I go I start growing roots, then have to pull everything up when it's not the right place. I want the next place to be the right place. Once and for all.

I don't want to wander anywhere. I want to find home. Anywhere I go I start growing roots, then have to pull everything up when it's not the right place. I want the next place to be the right place. Once and for all.
    There is no such thing as "the right place". At least that's my opinion. I recently started to think about putting roots down somewhere. But I've moved around a lot in my life chasing one thing or the other. I've realised that I'll probably never be happy with living in one place for the rest of my life or even for the next 10 years. So I will continue moving around every few years because I like the change.

EC suggestions are actually pretty interesting, although from your initial post all I could think of were ID and MT

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    my my (extremely biased) count, NE has gotten the most votes with UP in a close second...
    and apparently UP can give stowe some stiff competition: http://www.mtbohemia.com/videos.html
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

I think this is relevant...to finding a woman first.

Men 'live longer' if they marry a younger woman

A man's chances of dying early are cut by a fifth if their bride is between 15 and 17 years their junior.

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by nihiles View Post
    my my (extremely biased) count, NE has gotten the most votes with UP in a close second...
    and apparently UP can give stowe some stiff competition: http://www.mtbohemia.com/videos.html
    All this does is reaffirm the udder lack of reading comprehension. moooooo

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    you have no idea who the fuck you are talking to so shove your attitude up your ass.

J,
    you have some tough criteria, but bean dip aont too far off, exept its EC skiing...
    have family there now and its alright.
    your kinda people

as much as it has NEVER been my scene, DT denver may work if you can deal with the drive.
    also

not sure what the hockey is like but Seattle area is $

good luck, let me know if I can help
    wise man woodsy speaks the truth:

Denver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    honestly, VT/NH/ME...Problem with all three of those places is this: if you think the snow in gunnison or taos sucks, you're also going to think the snow in VT/NH/ME sucks.
    True. But it sucks for a long time - possibly October to June, so at least you can get a lot of turns!

Move back to the UP. Big Bay is rad. Work it so you can take an extended vacation in the winter. Ski Bohemia whenever a storm comes and you're not on your extended vacation. I've heard of some guys who sled/ski Mt. Arvon.

Simple.
    Last edited by Jer; 06-02-2009 at 05:17 PM.

not so simple:

1) it's only simple if I can find a job there.

2) I'm not living anywhere in the yoop besides Marquette/Big Bay and that's a long way from bohemia.

3)Last time I skied up there (no offense guys, honestly...but) I wasn't into it. I don't ski like that anymore, I didn't even want to turn, not that I could if I wanted to on that ice. I'm not a park rat, I'm not a racer anymore. There aren't even bumps to ski. The trees are too tight to be fun...skiing in michigan this last winter was a combination of frustrating, lame, and embarrassing.

I'm not arguing for argument's sake or trying to down anybody's ski hill, just trying to explain myself.

The only ice I skied last winter was at Silverton. Just sayin'.

I agree on the super tight trees tho. I like skiing them, but it would be nice to be able to open it up.

Another vote for New England/northern VT. The skiing is actually quite good, and besides a couple weeks in the spring the weather is killer.

This place has:
    *good skiing
    *a hockey scene
    *affordable housing and US citizens can buy there
    *decent motorcycling
    *reasonable employment opportunities and US citizens can work there
    *a normal male to female ratio
    *Few if any police

Does this place exist?
    I ask because I'm stumped.
    Vernon/Kelowna, B.C
    Silver Star-20 min away,great powder,0 lineups, Seasons pass is 600 bucks
    Revelstoke-1 1/2 HRS away,NO EXPLANATION NEEDED,B/C=EVEN BETTER
    Huge hockey scene-Vernon National Junior Champs
    Kelowna National Senior Finalists/Memorial Cup
    Housing in either town for under 200k
    Work=busy construction scene,busy tech scene
    Women-This place is THE place for women,esp in the summer,lots o' beaches,try Penticton=fucking stupidly hot women 18-40 for 6 months of the year,ski the rest of the time,duh
    Where's a cop when you need one! Seriously, I drive 20 KM over the speed limit pretty much all the time and have not had a ticket in 20 years.
    By the way there are not 1, not 2, but 3 big lakes right here on our doorstep, and all have a big skiing and wakeboarding scene(and a reputed big ass monster in Okanagan Lake)and motorcycling? I-5 aint got nothing on us,whole valley is a hairpin interspersed with straightlining.

This place is the shit. Fuck Whistler,way too many people there.Waaaay too pricey.
    If anything, try a couple or 3 days up here,we need more huckers
    P.S Aw man,saw your pictures and made me think of growing up in Revelstoke! It's just so popular now, housing and jobs there are super tight. But,there are super cool little spots like Malakwa,Sicamous,and Salmon Arm that will give you that "leave me the hell alone to do my own shit" feel. But with small town vibe comes nosey neighbours,few amenities,and no 7-11! But to each his own......
    Last edited by Meanfruit; 06-03-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: saw your pics

meanfruit, isn't kelowna pretty much owned by the hells angels?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

The press hates the Okanagan Valley cuz most of them live in Vancouver or Toronto and they're jealous. BTW, I've lived in both those cities and they,for lack of better words, suck ass.Yetiman, the very first picture I ever saw on this site was you carving some huge ass sweet turns in some cement.Made me buy fat skis, I shit you not. Kinda reminded me of the joy of my first scuba dive on Vancouver Island,or touring in Rogers Pass with my brothers drinking beer and skining right over the avy that came down an hour earlier,total 80's action on Olin Mark III's. If you want to live life a simpler way, I think you can find it everywhere, or nowhere. It's like skis: you can live with 1 pair, so why do so many of us need lots. Sad when I hear people aren't happy,usually where they're living is the least of their problems. Anyway, most Canadians like peps from the U.S, if you hooked up with a wholesome Canadian girl, chances are you could stay as long as you could bear the cold winters Good luck wherever you end up.

I lived in Cape Elizabeth, ME for about a year.

You'll love Maine.

Its tough for US people to migrate to Canada unless you have,dual citizenship thru birth or marriage, $250 K cash and or declare refugee status. Refugee status only worked under Bush . Or so the story goes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smoke View Post
    Its tough for US people to migrate to Canada unless you have,dual citizenship thru birth or marriage, $250 K cash and or declare refugee status. Refugee status only worked under Bush . Or so the story goes.
    I'm pretty sure that refugee story is fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanfruit View Post
    ...super cool little spots like Malakwa,Sicamous,and Salmon Arm that will give you that "leave me the hell alone to do my own shit" feel. But with small town vibe comes nosey neighbours,few amenities,and no 7-11! But to each his own......
    yeah malakwa. I've always wanted to hit up the burner pub.

I can't wrap my head about your attitudes about skiing. I think the EC suggestions are all fine, particularly if you like moguls. If you look it up, the vert of K-ton, Stowe, Sugarbush, etc all compare to big west coast resorts. You'll find lots of moguls. The Backcountry in Maine seems sick. You can get some above treeline up there too.
    You get some powder days and some hard days, you just have to learn to deal with it.
    As far as the gnar goes, look up the UVM guys TR's, it's out there and accessible.

I suggest you take a trip next winter. Maine, northern VT+NH, NY would all be perfect if you like rural ass redneck towns, no cops, access to cities/women. I don't know what you do for $, but if tiny places aren't scaring you away in BC, MT, etc for that reason I don't see why you'd have a problem in the slightly denser northeast.

I have my own moving problem being that I can only get work in the arts in major cities, and I want to be closer to skiing so I was thinking SLC, Denver, or probably Seattle-ish.

Anyway, good luck on finding a place. Hope to see you up on the EC roll call for a trip too, even if you choose someplace else. We will show you a good time skiing for sure.

nihiles - that video of Bohemia was kind of awesome. I think I saw some dumb RSN program that had Plake there for a week, he was raving about it and bombing woods. It looked fun. The woods don't seem tight at all, and they got pretty good airs, but I've never been there.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

There is skiing way closer to Ft Bragg than you think. You skipped a mountain range.

No lifts though.