Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Large dry bag (duffel) recommendation?

Any recommendations for a large dry duffel bag? Not for kayaking, but to be tied on the back of a motorcycle. Thinking something in the range of 70+ liters.

Sierra Trading Post has a large one by Body Glove for $99; I like the design with a roll-top along the long side:
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...Large-70L.html

OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    x2.

Gots everything you'll need for your purpose.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...03&deptid=1989

Big fan of Bill's Bag, has a backpack harness.

Cabelas has some decent dry duffels for decent prices. Search and ye shall find.
    Being grown-up sucks!

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/p...y-pack/product

I got a couple of the 70's with shoulder straps which were ok for light bush work and they make a 115

Chup,
    You need this for a particular trip, or is this a long term thing?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

That NRS backpack-rolltop bag looks pretty burly. I'd like to have a side-opening bag rather than a top-opening one, but not so sure how well it'll work with a roll closure.

sfotex -- long term thing. I think a big dry bag would be the easiest way to load bulky stuff onto the bike. If I could put a sleeping pad, bag, tent, and clothes all in one big bag, it would make strapping it down fast.

Something like the Prijon duffle:

or Seattle Sports Navigator:

Work well for good protection, easy access and roll over flap with quick clips and compression straps.

A canoe/portage bag may be worth a look versus a dry bag:

Last edited by Alpinord; 05-28-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That NRS backpack-rolltop bag looks pretty burly. I'd like to have a side-opening bag rather than a top-opening one, but not so sure how well it'll work with a roll closure.

sfotex -- long term thing. I think a big dry bag would be the easiest way to load bulky stuff onto the bike. If I could put a sleeping pad, bag, tent, and clothes all in one big bag, it would make strapping it down fast.
    All those other bags are roll-closures. The Watersheds have a big, heavy duty zip-lock closure, which you then roll and cinch down. Burly, bomber, and drier than the other ones. At least on the river.

Bill's Bag's used to be the way to go, but it sucks to have to dig to the bottom to find something. And there's no point in getting a backpack sewn in that might leak if you'll never use it.

I've used Bill's Bags and SealLine Boundary packs, and both are very good.

Other good recommendations have been made.

Also worth checking out WXTex gear. They use a bit lighter weight material. Very nice. We have a HUDGE duffel bag with a roll top that I think you'd like. It opens on the long side, not the short end, then rolls down like a dry bag. Used for a few river trips, many airplane trips, in a kiddie sled for gear hauling, and on the roof of the car.

Also, I think Black Diamond makes a waterproof duffle bag in a couple sizes. Mebbe Patagonia, too.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    All those other bags are roll-closures. The Watersheds have a big, heavy duty zip-lock closure, which you then roll and cinch down. Burly, bomber, and drier than the other ones. At least on the river.
    On the bike too. A good friend is an avid backcountry biker and also rides to work day in day out. Ive seen him put his bag (now several years old) through tremendous shit and it hasnt even put a dimple or dent in it. Im amazed given the treatment its seen. Seals are tighter than all 40 virgins combined and the top closure(the ultra heavy duty ziplock) hasnt allowed a drop of water.

I have no brand loyalty, but Ill sure as hell say something good about a product that stands out.

I have tried other Watershed products, particularly in the boat, and they have been outstanding as well. Worth every penny.

I have found roll top dry bags are fine to keep gear dry from rain or splashing but water will find its way in if they are truly submerged whereas a waterproof zipper ... is waterproof

having said that a zipper is expensive ,subject to failure,needs maintenance and a roll top closure is usually fine
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-29-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Same experiences here XXX-er. As a transport duffle total either will work for keeping water and dust out. If there's more of a concern for some reason you can always use a dry stuff sack inside. The Watersheds look sweet but not clear on how wide they open up. The side roll ups open wide so you can see and access everything easily and quickly.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Watershed x1million. Best bags around hands down. If you don't need 100% waterproofness, there is a burley bag by Patagonia that is in a potato shape. It has a tough "waterproof" zipper that I wouldn't trust fully submerged but I would trust it on the back of a motorcycle or the back of a truck in a rain storm. I can't think of the name of it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

On those watershed NRS bags --

Does the ziploc-type closure on the bag work like the standard ziploc? (i.e., just press two pieces together to close) Or does it have a slider that runs the length of the closure?

the watershed bags are like a standard ziploc no slider.

Bill bags are nice and can last forever if you are careful with pointy objects plus way cheaper than watershed.

the thing with roll top bags is they need back pressure on the roll to keep them dry so if they are not filled enough they won't keep out water..
    not so much with watershed.

if you have any REI dividend left or a coupon, you can get some watershed bags from REI. thats where i got mine for free

Chup,
    I have a bill's bag you can have for cheep.

Mike
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

NRS Branded Bag

I have watershed bags and a few sizes of the NRS Waterproof Zip bags:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...50&deptid=1630

I love the NRS branded one. It has a waterproof zipper and is a very sturdy bag.

One issue people have with the watershed is that sometimes it's hard to get it to close/open. The NRS zipper is pretty much idiot proof.

That being said you can't go wrong with Watershed either

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Chup,
    I have a bill's bag you can have for cheep.

Mike
    Thanks! I saw this a bit late -- already ordered that Body Glove one from STP, plus a mid-sized basic one, using a coupon code. I'll see what they look like when they arrive -- can't tell if that Body Glove one is sturdy or cheap.

I say either NRS bags or nothing at all. I have 3 NRS drybags in various sizes and they have been with me for well over 5 years now. A buddy of mine picked up one of those "seattle sports" or some cheap bag like that and it was constantly leaking. If a bag cant stay dry on a mellow trip through the lower salmon river gorge, it shouldn't even be manufactured. Stick with NRS. They are based in Moscow, ID or you can find them at NRSweb.com

Just a word of warning... Took an NRS zip-bag down the Grand Canyon, and the zipper failed about day 5 from all the sand and grit. Had to constantly reapply ZipTech lube to get it open and closed. The watersheds just need a quick wipe and it seals.

Good info, giving this a bump as I basically found the answer I was looking for.

One question though, kind of murky on the distinction between NRS and Watershed. I see that NRS sells some Watershed bags/duffels on their website, how are the two affiliated?

NRS and watershed are separate brands if I’m not mistaken. NRS resells Watershed alongside their own stuff, like REI selling Patagonia.
    I have little experience with anything but old fashioned roll tops, but another difference after a quick glance is the NRS uses an actual zipper with teeth, Watershed uses a giant ziploc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Old thread but the answer to this questions is Watershed. My oldest Watershed just turned 19 last summer-my dry bag is stoked it can buy beer in Canada. Still as waterproof as the newest one. 303 on the zip lock once a year and it's good. Zippers fail. Roll tops leak when submerged. The only thing that could hurt a Watershed seal is cutting it which would cut any dry bag. Pro tip-the Mississippi bag is the perfect size for a pulk sled.