Thread: Help w/ghosting

Help w/ghosting

Over the past few years (especially since I got a DSLR), I've had a ton of fun messing with with long exposures. One problem that I've had consistently is ghosting of subjects when using a flash. It doesn't happen when I use a flashlight to 'paint' a subject--but when I use the flashlight method, there is always the blur associated with the person not sitting still enough. In order to get a more crisp image, I've been using a flash when I'm not too concerned about the entire photo receiving the light. But that's when I get the ghosting. I feel like if I move the flash closer or increase the power of the flash, it would just wash things out. Is there a way to lessen ghosting?

I did this over the weekend--perfect example:

Is the sand a stronger reflector and therefore comes out more clearly than the people? Should I have positioned the flash lower so that less of the beach was illuminated? Any advice is appreciated!
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

why do you need the flash at all?

Have you tried a rear curtain flash?

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    why do you need the flash at all?
    Its hard to sit perfectly still for 1-30 seconds so without the flash to freeze people you will get a decent blur from everyone
    Don't be that guy. That guy is dead.
    www.skimavrick.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post
    Have you tried a rear curtain flash?
    WINNAH!

Aha, thanks! I'll have to read up on that.

AKA 2nd curtain sync. Here's how you set it up on the Canon 5D:
    2nd curtain sync with a Canon 5D
    1. Hit Menu
    2. Scroll down to custom functions, hit select
    3. Change custom function #15 from a 0 to a 1 to enable 2nd curtain flash
    4. Hook up a flash (if using a 550/580EX, change setting on your flash to enable 2nd curtain, if using a 420/430EX camera controls it)
    5. Change shooting to Tv mode, slow down the shutter speed to 1/30th a second or slower (it won't work at faster shutter speeds)
    6. Take photo, flash should fire at the end of the exposure just before the shutter closes, not at the beginning.

Eh, I was afraid of this... I kinda knew what curtain sync was and didn't think it would help--but then I figured that maybe you gurus knew something I didn't. Don't THINK that's the case, but feel free to correct me.

I'm not trying to get ANY blur. I want a long exposure to get the flashlight words to show up (the guys needed time to 'write' it), and then I want a flash that illuminates all the crowd (without making them see-through). Maybe it's just not possibe? Or I just need a black backdrop (non-reflective).

You can run 2nd curtain flash sync with a 30 sec exposure, the words should still show, and the flash fires just before the shutter closes.

If that doesn't work, you may be getting extra reflection off of the sand and people while painting the words with the light. Don't really know how to fix that other than combining two exposures, one long with the letters and one short w/ the people+flash.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post
    If that doesn't work, you may be getting extra reflection off of the sand and people while painting the words with the light. Don't really know how to fix that other than combining two exposures, one long with the letters and one short w/ the people+flash.

While work with a rear-curtain flash, try keeping the flashlight's light and all ambient light off of the background sand. The easiest way to do this would be to work in near total darkness and to keep the light-writing tools facing up towards the lens and not splashing or reflecting light onto the ground.