Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

North Shore striper/bluefish thread.

First fish of season. A couple of good looking schoolies. One on a plug and one on a mackeral fly. Saw lots of large fish but no takers so far. Hopefully tomorrow morning they are more hungry for my flies.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Hey, nice fish! Look healthy.

North Shore of where...LI?

Are you in a yaK?
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Got my first fish of the season this past weekend off Tinkers Island - 28" on the nose, released.

Then today got my first ever striper caught from the kayak. 26" from the mouth of the North River. Catching it from the kayak was as exciting as any fish I have ever caught. I seriously can't wait to catch more.

Last edited by DEVO; 05-20-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    on the send bus to gnar town

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    North Shore of where...LI?
    North Shore of MA.

Nice ones Jeff. I was at the power plant for a while this morning. I saw more VERY large fish than I have seen in a long time. Headed out Thursday?

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    Nice ones Jeff. I was at the power plant for a while this morning. I saw more VERY large fish than I have seen in a long time. Headed out Thursday?
    Thanks. I have been skunked over there twice already this year . I am going to be in Harwich Port Thursday (tomorrow) for work and will probably bring the surf casting stuff to try and get a short afternoon session while I am down there. If I get done early enough.

Fishing Saturday morning?

Hanging over from Friday party, then yard sale setup for 9 freakin a.m. I think i will try Sunday if I can get away.

Fished this morning between the bridges on the Danvers from 5:30-7:30. As soon as I got there fish started busting EVERYWHERE! They wouldn't hit a surface plug, or a yozuri crystal minnow. Finally got five on a storm shad, including two over 30". The one below measured at 32". Released both. Got one more on a surface plug before leaving after all the ruckus calmed down.

Last edited by DEVO; 05-22-2009 at 07:34 AM.

FKNA!^^^ I am trying to persuade the woman to get out tonight after dark.

Went out again to the same spot this morning. Same thing, fish all over the place, but VERY picky. I finally got 4-5 on the same storm shad. They were all a little smaller today. Then the last fish ripped the body off the lure, that's when I realized it was my only one. Figures it was the only lure they were hitting. Wind started to pick up and get cloudy, so I paddled back. No keepers, no pics.

weather looks kinda crappy for sunday though.

Went out this morning in the kayak, back to the junction of the Danvers/Bass/North Rivers. Was a little cold and rainy. No schools of busting fish today, but still managed a few ok fish. A couple of mid 20's. All on a surface lure (blue/silver jumpin' minnow). Had one fish jump clean out of the water from the shallows at the mouth of the North River, but he got off before I could get him to the boat.

I was right over by the train bridge and hooked up with one of the mid 20's fish when the inbound commuter rail went by. I couldn't help but think I hope all those people sitting in the train on their way to work in town are watching me bring this fish in.

New guy

Hi, I usually fish Joppa but the river sounds interesting. I fish a Hobie Revolution,orange. if you see me. Do you guys put in under the big bridge?
    Good luck.

I have been putting in at Obear park in Beverly which is just up river from the older more upriver of the two bridges from Beverly to Salem. Even at low tide it is not very muddy and there is plenty of parking (unless you get there really early in the morning, then the gate is locked and just park outside of it). That way I can fish up the river or between the bridges.

Tomorrow morning I am going to try putting in at the end of Water Street in Beverly where there is a small public boat ramp/beach.

Tell you what, you take me up to Joppa and I will take you around the Danvers River area. Deal?
    Last edited by DEVO; 05-29-2009 at 07:39 PM.

where is Joppa?
    DEVO: I am moving sat morning so no fishy, but I am thinking of heading out sunday am depending on how drunk we get sat night? Any plans for weekend?
    btw, Did your pops find a sticker on his boat? I left him some pmgear schwag under the helm in some small cubby.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    where is Joppa?
    DEVO: I am moving sat morning so no fishy, but I am thinking of heading out sunday am depending on how drunk we get sat night? Any plans for weekend?
    btw, Did your pops find a sticker on his boat? I left him some pmgear schwag under the helm in some small cubby.

CRAP! My dad sold his boat last weekend! Well, the new owner has some new pmgear stickers I guess. I was planning on fishing Sunday am, so let me know if you are going.

Joppa flats is in Newburyport on the Merrimack River.

Waited out the rain this morning and fished from 5:30 - 9:00 but only one small short to show for it.

As soon as i saw this thread my head went straight to Joppa. I spent most of my young adult life fishing the flats and I can truly say that is some of the finest striper fishing I've done.. It used to be a secret back in the day but when I left to go to school it was becoming a combat zone. Interested to know how it fishes these days. PM me if you want some good walk and wade areas. Long live North Shore stripers!

DEVO, were you just outside the north river earlier this evening...saw 745ish? I saw a lone greenish looking kayak while I was headed over the bridge back into salem. I was honking my horn six or seven times? any nice fish?

A few pictures from last night at the rivermouth, somewhat north of the north shore.

Can you spot the other angler? Look up.

This is a productive spot.

Lots of seams, being worked aggressively by seals and cormorants.

The sun went down...

And then the fishing began.

mmmmmmm gritty's. Any fishies up there yet?

Went out yesterday evening on the kayak and hooked up to a real nice feeling fish. Got him all the way to under the boat, but he would not come up. I got a little too impatient and tried to force him up and pulled the lure. Then had another really nice hit. Didn't feel as heavy, but was fighting harder than the first. Lost that after getting him about 3/4 of the way in. Then proceeded to catch a 1/2 dozen of the smallest stripers you ever did see.

Went back out to the same spot again tonight and this time when the hit came I was way more patient. Brought them close to the kayak and just held on, even loosened the drag a couple of times to let them run a bit and tire out. Much better results. The first was 26" and the second was juuuuust under 28". Both released.

Last edited by DEVO; 06-15-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Marblehead is going off right now! I am headed to work untill late NOV/early DEC in the morning but I will try to get some pics uploaded when find some time. To any and all who are around the north shore be sure to get into marblehead around sunrise. 2 Keepers today with lots of other nice fishies.

I'll back that up! We were there a little later on Saturday am and we saw several good surface feeds. We got several mid 20's and a big blue, but no keepers.

My 9 yr old with a 25" he caught and his grandfather in the background.
    Last edited by DEVO; 07-13-2009 at 09:05 PM.

bump for 2010

Back from "work"

Headed out from Salem about 0800 on tuesday. Caught the main body of fish and birds between Salem and this place. Seemed they were chasing bait to the surface and kinda getting freaky.

First of the year for me

2nd

it's 30 inches from where the butt of the rod is on the port side to the starboard side of the hatch. This one just about 30 inches.

supper for the guests

Thursday the 12th. With a big crowd coming in for the weekend decided to keep my first fish in more than 10 years. Hope it tastes good. The fish were mostly feeding where Eagle island channel meets the Main channel.

back on land at 10 am like a good husband. Maybe we push this summit up a bit???