Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ohio - School me about it.

I may be visiting friends in Cincinnati, with family (meaning a 6 years old), mid july, with a couple of weeks to spare. On the map, it looks flat.
    What's to see and do ? Besides hoping on a plane to Las Lenas ?
    Should I head north to the great lakes ? To the south and the Appalaches ? Something else ?

WWMD ?
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Drink beers and play cornhole till you pass out dreaming of las lenas

Just try to stay in a drunken stupor the whole time and maybe you'll forget it.

oh shit, hookers and blow
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Cincinnati has a lot of hills, but it gets completely flat once you get north of Dayton. The great lakes aren't all that great. I guess you could go to Cedar Point. The smoky mountains are pretty bas ass. I'd go there.

See if you can channel Toqueville and draft a set of witty remarks on the unique character of Ohio. While you're at it, please try to determine why a sizable minority consider Ohio to be a Northeastern state.

Hmm, I moved to Dallas to get out of Cincy but there is stuff to do. Cincinnati Zoo, Kings Island (amusement park), Reds baseball game. It is very hilly, especially northern kentucky so if ya can bring or rent a road bike do it. Gotta try Skyline chili so you can say WTF. Prepare for heat and a lot of humidity.

Shoot me a PM, I'm 20 minutes north of Cincy and could probably give you all the beta you want. There's actually quite a few hills in/around Cincinnati with some decent singletrack riding.
    I think that the human mind is unique among all other forms of life in that it can spontaneously create unique thoughts and provide unique behaviors. Instead of rewarding that uniqueness we, for some reason probably because of cultural and social necessity, we chastise unique behavior and reward conformity.

sing it with me now.... What's round on the top and flat in the middle O-HI-O.

my grandpa used to always say that
    I like chicks who ride. Especially if they're cyclists.

with a couple of weeks to work with you could cover some ground, maybe tour the New England coast or check out Lake Superior, hell it's only 1200 miles to Denver, you could do that in two days, there's lots of options.

Drive south into Kentucky 1-2 hours. Look up the Red River Gorge (good even if you don't climb) but hop on the Bourbon Trail. Frankfurt, KY is the first, closest stop. The smell of the air around the buildings holding the casks is worth the trip.

2nd Kings Island or a Reds Game (pretty nice newer ballpark). Cedar Point, 3-4 hours north is one of the best amusement parks in the states (world??). Go over the river to Newport, go down to Louisville for a day. There's some cool caves to explore in the S. Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky area.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

http://www.ohiohillcountry.org/

http://www.kybourbontrail.com/

You're also a mere 4 hours from Nashville, TN or 5 hours from Chicago. If you're in an adventurous mood you can drive 8.5 hours and come stay with us in DC -- we're kid friendly (mine are 8 & 6.)

Maybe I spent too many summers working on the Cedar Point beach, but I prefer Kings Island. The roller coasters aren't as big, but it is a nicer park to walk around in.

As mentioned, Cincy zoo is really nice. Reds games. Lake Erie to the North is nothing to get excited about. Michigan's West coast is nice, especially the Sleeping Bear Dunes.

There's some great riding in Southern Indiana, downhill type trails in Newark, Ohio. Clifty Falls State Park in Madison, Indiana is nice. You can marvel at the sight of Perfect North Slopes, in Indiana outside of Cincy or you can go to Louisville / Lexington and tour Makers Mark distillery.

Thumbs up

Ok, to start in Cincinnati: (sorry links function not working)

First off if you're flying into Cincy you'll actually be landing in Kentucky, so check that off your list of things to do.

Hit up a Cincinnati Reds baseball game, pretty nice newer stadium on the river. And they're in 1st place

Before the game grab a liter of dunkel at the Hoffbrau House biergarten (1st built outside the original in Munchen) and walk across the bridge over the Ohio River to the game. By the way, Cincinnati is hudgely German; largest Oktoberfest outside of Munich, the only place I've ever been able to find mettwurst... Take it for what it's worth...

Rent/borrow/steal a bike, road or mtn and take a cruise. Lots of hills, both inside and outside the woods.

Order and eat a 3-way from Skyline Chili. Don't google it, just surprise yourself when you get here and enjoy it.

Eat some Graters ice cream on Hyde Park Square and take in all the "talent" walking around. The ice cream rocks too.

Eat a burger at Terry's Turf Club. Recently rated best burger in Ohio by food network fwiw. I think their secret is crack.

Meet people, everyone is very friendly here; Cincinnati has been said to be the biggest small town you've ever been to. If they start off the conversation asking where you went to high school, walk away.

Play cornhole. I'll let you google that one. Best played with a beer in one hand. Very addicting, and it was invented here. You're welcome America.

Eat a slab of Montgomery Inn's ribs.

Canoe or Kayak the Little Miami River. Bring some beer or binoculars, some really good birding, and it's a nice float/paddle.

Hit up Kings Island if you or your hosts want to go to an amusement park. I'd personally reccomend heading 3 hours north to Lake Erie to Cedar Point amusement park though. Best and most roller coasters in the world.

If you're in town through any part of August definately see the Tennis Masters - Cincinnati / Womens Open tournament. The mens is a Masters event which means the top 50 in the world are required to play. Great tournament, it's the tuneup for the US Open. The women go off the first two weeks, very nice field as well; Williams sisters, Sharapova etc.
    http://www.cincytennis.com/1/en/home/default.asp

Be ready to sweat profusely. The dog days of summer are hot and muggy, you're in one of the biggest river valleys in America and the heat is just trapped. Nights are very nice though, so hit up a backyard barbecue.

Restaurants that I think are must do's in town:

Boca in Oakley
    Hugo in Oakley
    Chalk Food and Wine in Covington
    Honey in Northside
    Melt in Northside
    Nada downtown
    The Palace downtown
    Orchids downtown
    Daveeds in Mt Adams
    The Precinct in Mt Lookout

If you play golf there's some really nice courses around town as well, and Ohio in general for that matter.

Outside of Cincinnati:

4 hours by car north is Lake Erie and Cleveland. Lots to do in Cleveland:

Rock and Roll hall of fame
    http://www.rockhall.com/

Cuyahoga River National Park.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahog..._National_Park
    Good biking; just dive off into the woods anywhere off the Erie Canal Towpath trail to find some really good singletrack weaving among some awesome glacier-formation limestone. Good climbing too. Paddle the Cuyahoga, despite the old (and deserved) jokes, the river isn't on fire anymore and was the real catalyst in starting much of America's conservation efforts/laws/Environmental Protection Agency policies due to it's state in the late 60's early 70s. Oh, and it's a nice paddle.

Blossom Music Center is a natural ampetheater in the park that brings in the usual big name concerts during the summer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blossom_Music_Center

Cleveland Indians baseball game, in my opinion still one of the best stadiums in the game.

Cleveland Symphony, recently ranked #3 in the world and Severance Hall where they play is gorgeous. Art-deco guilded age of America design. They also play at Blossom some in the summer too. Grab a blanket, a bottle of wine, and some hot chick who digs your French accent and enjoy a night under the stars listening to the symphony

Great Lakes Brewing Company, get a beer and enjoy it on their patio. Do this after wandering around the Westside Market across the street.
    http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/

Great restaurants too in the Treemont/Ohio City area Michael Symon's Lola for example

Little Italy - Cleveland Heights area is pretty cool for an afternoon too.

If you sail, try and get out on Lake Erie; the lake is oriented East/West and pretty shallow (deepest point is only 100+ feet) so the wind just whips. Very fast and fun sailing, just be weary of squalls as they can whip up quickly and be very dangerous.

Hour and half West of Cleveland, or 3.5 hours north of Cincy is Sandusky/Cedar Point. If you like roller coasters, there's no better place in the world. Take a ferry or boat over to Middle Bass Island/Put in Bay and get face-down plastered with everyone else. For a quieter time head over to Kelly's island.

Eat Lake Erie Perch. The finest freshwater fish you can eat. So sweet...mmmmm.....

Columbus:

State Capital. Personally I'd say there's much better places to go in Ohio. It is geographicly androdgenous. Plus it'll be summertime which means Ohio State Football will be practicing for the upcoming fall season which means that every douchebag you encouter will talk your ear off about them and how they bleed crimson and gray. If you try to avoid this they'll hit you over the head with a beer bottle and burn a couch on your lifeless body.

Red River Gorge:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Gorge

hour and half south of Cincinnati in Kentucky. Some of the best climbing in the world. Fun camping too, just do not get drunk and wander around at night, many have fallen to their deaths this way every year.

Lake Cumberland - 2.5 hours South of Cincinnati in Kentucky or Lake Norris 3 hours South of Cincinnati in Tennessee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Cumberland
    http://www.norrislakeinfo.com/

Very very large manmade lakes in some really beautiful country. Rent a houseboat for a couple days, it's really a lot of fun. Kinda like having a floating condo (or trailer in some cases) with a hottub and waterslides.

Really good waterskiing/wakeboarding too.

Lexington Kentucky:

Hour and 10 minutes south of Cincinnati.

See the most beautiful horse estates in the world. This is ground zero of thoroughbred racing. Not sure if it will be open then but if it is, go to Keeneland Park and bet on a race.
    http://www.keeneland.com/default.aspx
    If you want to see the real church of horse racing though, head to Louisville to see Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby.

Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Kentucky is the birthplace of America's only homegrown liquor, bourbon. The Trail winds along the Bluegrass Parkway which in itself is a nice drive, especially if you have a nice car or motorcycle through horse country and most of the bourbon distilleries are along this road.
    http://www.kybourbontrail.com/#

There really is a lot of cool stuff to do around where you'll be, and you don't have to drive more than 3 hours at the most to get to it all. If you really want to get out of the region, to the Northeast or West for example I'd fly. Don't waste your time here driving 1,200+ miles, and besides Jersey isn't that great.

PM me if you want a guide for a day and a beer with some weirdo from the internet.

Oh, and have fun!

/sweetblog
    I still call it The Jake.

Nice work, BMills! ^5!

mmmmm, metts (haven't had one since riverfront, but they are awesome.)

Hmm, I moved to Dallas to get out of Cincy
    somebody moved to dallas on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    Drive south into Kentucky 1-2 hours. Look up the Red River Gorge (good even if you don't climb) but hop on the Bourbon Trail. Frankfurt, KY is the first, closest stop. The smell of the air around the buildings holding the casks is worth the trip.
    There are some great eats in Cincinnati, and if you have the chance get down to Kentucky, only an hour or two away, for some relaxing countryside and amazing food.

In Louisville, go here:

for this:

You kind of can't go wrong with any of the choices, we had four slices between the two of us!

Also Cincinnati, maybe take a day off from eating and then go to Camp Washington Chili: The classic way to order the chili is five-way, which is chili, meat, onions, cheese, beans, and spaghetti. It's a little much, but hey. When in Rome...

for this:

another great food option if you head north from cincinnati instead of south is to go to barberton, ohio to Al's Corner and have it's famed "Barberton chicken" which is a hungarian style goulash chicken paprikash meal with fantastic dumplings and all the fixins. One $5 lunch plate comes with Barberton Chicken, perogen, spicy hungarian sausage, stuffed cabbage & halushka. I would drive back there for the beer bread ALONE.

Anyways, you've got some awesome eats I can make up a whole list of places to go depending on where exactly you'll be heading. Let us know your itinerary when you plan it a bit more! YUM
    Last edited by BeanDip4All; 05-15-2009 at 11:48 AM.

I grew up in Central OH -- going there next week to visit mom and the fam, actually.

Stuff to do... Rent a bike, there's some fun singletrack if you look for it. Amusement parks. I've never been to the Cincy zoo...but the Columbus zoo is nice.

It'll be hot and muggy - but it's better than being there during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by skiATL View Post
    The great lakes aren't all that great.
    Erie may be a dirty, shallow lake - but show me something that compares to Superior (or even Michigan).

editL:BMills knocks it out of the park. Nice work, even if you are a cavs fan.
    Last edited by focus; 05-15-2009 at 11:50 AM.

You are well within striking distance, given your time, to visit Northern Michigan. Schedule some time driving up the Third Coast and make stops in Traverse City, Petosky, Charlevoix and Mackinac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I'll put in a vote for Cedar Point. If you like roller coaster at all, it's worth at least two days. Some of the stuff there is just dumb:

Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Nice work, BMills! ^5!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    T]
    for this:

Improper 3-4-5 way eating form!

Everyone knows that you turn the plate lengthwise with one end towards you and you use the side of your fork to cut bites out working front to back to ensure you get the proper layering in each bite. Fill the empty spaces that youve already eaten with the provided oyster crackers to soak up the chili juice goodness that's left. Bib optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    You are well within striking distance, given your time, to visit Northern Michigan. Schedule some time driving up the Third Coast and make stops in Traverse City, Petosky, Charlevoix and Mackinac.
    I wholeheartedly agree that those are some must see, gorgeous places, however keep in mind it's a 9 hour drive from Cincinnati to Petoskey. I'd fly to Traverse before making that hellish trip up I-75.
    I still call it The Jake.

Flying to TVC is definitely the way to go. Also, stop in Harbor Springs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Improper 3-4-5 way eating form!

Everyone knows that you turn the plate lengthwise with one end towards you and you use the side of your fork to cut bites out working front to back to ensure you get the proper layering in each bite. Fill the empty spaces that youve already eaten with the provided oyster crackers to soak up the chili juice goodness that's left. Bib optional.
    huh. as a mere touron driving through, I was not aware of this proper eating form! Will have to make up an excuse to pass through cincinnatti soon so that I may correct this grave strike against your culture!

going through all these old roadtrip pictures certainly got my mouth watering, i think it's time for some chowhounding anyways

You have a couple of weeks to spare and you're going to be around Cincinnati??

It probably won't have German on it, but I'd look for a sign like this, and go (or some other destination):

A few weeks seems like a long time to be a tourist around Southern OH.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    huh. as a mere touron driving through, I was not aware of this proper eating form! Will have to make up an excuse to pass through cincinnatti soon so that I may correct this grave strike against your culture!

going through all these old roadtrip pictures certainly got my mouth watering, i think it's time for some chowhounding anyways
    Next time hold the beans and get a 4 way w/onions... or get a cheese Coney.