Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Homemade Burger Thread

For me it's all about the beef. No 90/10 ground or other "health" crap. I don't need it slathered in sauces, topped with a side salad or other major bells and whistles. While I love bacon, it really only belongs on a burger when the meat isn't all that great. I start with some ground made with trimmings of the tasty beef from a local ranch (http://ranchosanjulianbeef.com/our-story/our-beef) It's about a 70-80/20-30 blend and so full of flavor seasoning with anything more than some kosher salt and pepper would be a waste. Grilled or griddled over high heat to get that nice crust to complement the med-rare center, a slice of good cheese, and maybe some onion and a dab of spicy mustard on top, buttered bun toasted.

How do you like yours? Anyone have a good burger bun recipe? The perfect bun seems the most difficult part to acquire, as a bad one can really ruin a burger. The local bakeries around here don't seem to have anything that is truly an actual burger bun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
    (http://ranchosanjulianbeef.com/our-story/our-beef) It's about a 70-80/20-30 blend
    nice local is the way. I like to use 25% fat, it just seems perfect and I use grass fed beef only as it has superior flavor than store bought corn fed beef and since grass fed beef is very lean I boost the fat to 25% by adding pork fat.

It is a sinister burger.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

I forgo the regular burger bun, and use an herb slab from Acme (awesome local bakery)...make up my own aioli, caramelize onions for 1-2hrs, throw some gruyere and bacon on there and you have an amazing burger...usually make it with high quality grass fed beef, if it's a bit lean I mix it with a little olive oil to keep it tender...

Yep, at least 20% fat is the key.

Sharp cheddar, red onion grilled, pineapple slice grilled, iceburg, condiments on a whim.

2nd choice: Patty melt! Gooey and buttery.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    nice local is the way. I like to use 25% fat, it just seems perfect and I use grass fed beef only as it has superior flavor than store bought corn fed beef and since grass fed beef is very lean I boost the fat to 25% by adding pork fat.
    Yeah, the flavor difference it truly remarkable. I was in a bind recently and picked up some supposed high quality ground from the fancy shmancy market and it was such a let down. Stoked our Farmer's Market has a large assortment of meat/poultry/seafood products here, a bit spoiled.

My local farm is soo much better (1 mile away) than the supermarket (9 miles away)and way cheaper.
    People always seem to doubt this, just judging on the power supposed quanity buying.

Ill admit, I use 93%. At least I grill it though...I guess...
    Decisions Decisions

I dig mine giant with a little worcestershire and green peppers in the patties. Like to throw garlic salt on it everytime I flip it and served rare. Swiss cheese, mushrooms and tomato on top with some spicy/deli/honey mustard.

I don't really like to toast the bun and usually like a traditional, mass-produced sesame seed bun.

Pura, I feel the exact same way about bacon. Leave it off my burgers and away from my filet.

rant: I know there are some Aussies on this board. Just lived there for a year. YOUR BURGERS FUCKING SUCK!!! The buns are always to big. The patties are always WAY to small. Beets (beetroot?) do not belong on a cheesburger. And since when does "gourmet" mean "tiny ass burger with giant bun topped with shredded carrot, beets, eggs, lettuce, tom-ah-to, and all kinds of other bullshit." Oh yeah, your pizzas are also small, sucky, and covered with bullshit. If I wanted a salad, I would've ordered one (and taken 5 dicks in the ass cause salads are for fags.)

You're country is cool though. And little creatures pale ale is decent. Just work on the pizza and burgers.

Now that our local market has opened and only sells local beef I just get whatever they have in the "Hamburger" bowl in the deli counter. Often it's the ground "chain" from the Tenderloin or the Lip from ribeyes. It's awesomely tasty.

The kids now insist on their burgers being fried in the cast iron skillet, not grilled.

I mix blue cheese inside the patty before grilling, works like a charm.

I made some killer elk burgers at the colo mini. Don't remember exactly what I put in them the night before, but 30% beef fat, dash of Worcestershire, dash of A1, parsley, S&P, garlic powder.

Unreal on the grill.

Ok I'll probably get lynched, but I'm proud of my (veggie)burgers so here goes:

Lately it's been Morningstar garden veggie patties
    Basted with Dinosaur sauce while being grilled, cooked to a light char
    Sliced sweet onion, grilled for about 5 minutes
    melted Hunter's Xtra sharp on top
    Dill pickle slices
    Hearty onion roll toasted on grill (some times I take a nice Italian bread, cut thick slices, baste both sides with olive oil and garlic, grill for about a minute per side)
    Top prodigiously with A1

In summer or after skiing serve with a good Whit, other times IPA

One of these days I'll suck it up and make my own patties, I know it will be far better
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

80-90% lean depending on what we have

a solid dose of Worcestershire, dash of bread crumbs, dash of parmesian, dash of red pepper, topped with 2 slices of american, grilled of course to medium perfection
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Amen to grass fed beef. My fiance and I get our ground beef from local farmers and to echo previous statements, kosher salt and some fresh ground pepper are all that are needed for seasoning.

I don't like additives in my burgers (bread crumbs, etc). They are best added to meatballs, but I guess that is another thread.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

I've been getting it from these guys or these guys. I've had grass fed beef, but never grass finished until I moved here. It's amazingly fucking good. The copious quantities of fat don't hurt either.

Little salt, little pepper, hot grill pan or grill, cooked to medium. I use iceman's technique to prevent shrinkage.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by todug27 View Post
    I mix blue cheese inside the patty before grilling, works like a charm.
    Killer idea. I'm gonna try it.

I get most of our burger from a friend who's hobby farming some grass fed beef cattle. Since the butchery is custom I have them put everything but the best steaks and roasts into the burger mix, and ask that they don't trim for lean-ness, though I have no idea what the actual fat content is. If I had to guess I'd say around 25%.

Johnny's Dock seasoning (a PNW classic that makes everything taste good!) is my poison and if I have time I mix in some caramelized onions, maybe a raw egg. My oldest son has recently requested the addition of bacon salt which is pretty damn good too.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post

Johnny's Dick seasoning (a PNW classic that makes everything taste good!) is my poison and if I have time I mix in some caramelized onions, maybe a raw egg.
    Whoa! Whatever, man..... I see how you guys roll up there....

To each their own, I guess.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Hey...don't be messin' with my post!

1/2 Beef (90/10) 1/2 Ground Pork kneaded together with some Goya Adobo Seasoning
    "Mammoth" Cheddar from Wisco. ("Sharp" but on the mild side - kids to please)
    Caramelized Yellow Onions
    Yellow Tomato
    Sourdough Kaiser Rolls
    Duke Mayo (YUM! Why didn't anybody tell me before now?)
    Mixed Baby Green salad creation from my wife

Griddle Fried medium-Well due to Pork content, but so juicy I had to pull out the Paper towels. FKNA what a great meal.

I have been eating Turkey burgers lately. If you are trying to ease up on the red meat like I am, these are a pretty good way to go. They grill up pretty nice with some sharp cheddar and a good whole wheat bun. Turkey sausage ain't bad either btw.

I grill almost every night and realized I was eating red meat about 4-5 nights a week so I had to lay off. I still eat a steak once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I grill almost every night and realized I was eating red meat about 4-5 nights a week so I had to lay off.
    Honest question: why?

I don't know, I'm living alone and hate doing dishes I guess. It's mainly a matter of convenience. It's either that or the microwave. I know, pathetic, but you asked.....

No, why is red meat an issue?

Oh yeah, that. Somebody on the internet said it was bad for me. I want to live forever.

History of heart disease and colon cancer in the family. Your risk for both increases dramatically with a diet high in red meat.

Now you did it Tippster! Made me go and ruin a perfectly good burger thread! Sorry to be a Debbie Downer here guys. It's Tip's fault