Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

almost died today, way too close for comfort(bloody picture of my face included)

so a buddy and I headed to eldorado canyon to climb the 6 pitch 5.7 'rewritten' on the redgarden wall. we get there close to first in the lot and my friend realizes that he forgot his harness, so we headed back to boulder, then back to eldo at which point there are a bunch more cars in the lot and people on the trail. After making the hike up to the base of the climb, there is one group already in front of us starting the first pitch. We are in line to go up after them when two guys in speedo shorts and a very light rack show up, say they are simulclimbing with a 100 ft rope and not stopping to belay so they wanted to go up ahead of us. they started climbing, passing the group that had already started and go out of sight. While we were waiting for the group in front of us to finish the first pitch, we hear some loud yelling from up on the wall, but it sounded like he said 'falling', until he finally said 'rock' and we all looked up and went for cover.

By the time he said 'rock', a large TV sized rock was hurtling through space from a couple hundred feet above us, and was closing in fast. I took one leap away from my perch, the rock impacted almost exactly where I had been standing and showered me with debris. The trail going up to the climb was very steep with switchbacks, loose rocks and large boulders. I had no choice but to jump out of the way of the rock but in doing so lost my footing on the steep narrow trail and tumbled about 100 feet down a combination of loose scree, big boulders and dirt. I was definitely airborne multiple times. All in all Id say Im damn lucky. The rock landed right where I was less than a second after I jumped and I would not be alive if I hadn't moved when I did, but heres the face damage:

Ive got cuts and scrapes all over my body; legs, arms, chest, and hands but the face just adds insult to injury, Ive got job interviews next week for christ sake!

I will never, ever forget the sound that rock made as it hit the space that I just occupied.

End blog.
    Last edited by couloirman; 05-09-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Damn man, congrats on not dying.

Tell the interviewer it's an example of how you're able to think quickly and can help the company avoid similar situations.

Jeebus! Nice work avoiding the rockfall! Fucking scary. I've had close calls with rockfalls but not that close. Congrats on living.

Did you talk to the trundler afterwards?

Wow! To think all the dangerous stuff you do and it is the one time you're just walking around that almost gets you (assuming you hadn't started climbing yet). I expected it to have something to do with speed-flying.

Good job living!
    okbye
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 05-09-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Let us know how you get on in the interview. I reckon your story will help big style.
    And congratulations on being alive right now. Have a cold beer and enjoy.

i didnt get to see the douchenozzles who knocked the rock down again because I had to hightail it to the hospital and they were out of sight. They did get a cam slightly stuck about 15ft off the ground and said theyd be back to get it, so I seriously considered taking it before I left, but then I'm the asshole too, and falling rocks are a risk we all have to take in the mountains, so Im more just incredibly grateful to be alive and not angry, and am going to buy a lotto ticket today if I can make it out of my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by RaccoonFace View Post
    Wow! To think all the dangerous stuff you do and it is the one time you're just walking around that almost gets you (assuming you hadn't started climbing yet). I expected it to have something to do with speed-flying.

Good job living!
    okbye

yeah, had not started climbing yet, we were just lounging near the base of the climb, about to eat a snickers and waiting to climb.

And speedflying is actually way safer than it seems, especially on skis. I can see myself still doing that well into my elderly years when Im not able to do a lot of the physical stuff anymore.

Fuck the Eldo shitshow. I get something dropped on my head nearly every time I go there.
    Glad you're OK dood. Rockfall is scary stuff.

Great to hear you made it out allright. Grab me one of those lotto tickets too, please.

Had a softball size rock hurl by my right shoulder/face yesterday booting up Dead Dog - would not have been very fun to rendevous with the little guy.
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com

Wow, tomahawking on dry land....who says maggots aren't the toughest motherfuckers around?

Glad you are okay, relatively speaking.

By the time he said 'rock', a large TV sized rock was hurtling through space
    So, was this like a 52" plasma? A rear projection TV? A old tube TV? Some how "TV size rock" just doesn't mean what it used to

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post

We are in line to go up after them when two guys in speedo shorts and a very light rack show up, say they are simulclimbing with a 100 ft rope and not stopping to belay so they wanted to go up ahead of us.

By the time he said 'rock', a large TV sized rock was hurtling through space from a couple hundred feet above us, and was closing in fast.
    Maybe that rock fell out of one of their marblebags?

Good reactions on your part.
    Heal up and be thankful for miracles.
    How many things had to happen that day to have you standing in that spot with all them above you? Weird. So many small things add up to one big freakshow.
    . . .

damn dood, glad you're ok. Guess that's the price you pay for being extreme.

Glad you lived. Reminded me of this thread. Check out video #6
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Glad you are not dead!

Staying out of rockfall danger areas is key, but hard!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Holy shit dude. Glad you're alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Staying out of rockfall danger areas is key, but hard!
    and is borderline impossible if you're going to climb in the overcrowded shitshow that is eldorado canyon or any other popular multi pitch spots. This is the first time Ive ever questioned the things that I do and why I do them, and climbing at popular areas like this when any people are above me is just not in my level of acceptable risk anymore. I'll only climb long multi pitch routes like this during the week, first thing in the morning so no one is above me from now on, because its just not worth it.

wow man, glad u r allright. rockfall is some scary shit and is pretty much impossible to avoid completely doing the shit we do. sounds like you're future plan is spot on. either go 1st or just dont go.

Why did I leave Colorado?

Uhhh...

I dunno.

Glad you are with us, some aren't.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Glad you're alright!!! Don't worry babe I think you're still pretty....call those hella earned battle wounds....people that never try never scar!
    "Time is the coin of your life, it is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent, be careful, lest you let other people spend it for you!"

Holy shit.

That is gnar. Glad you're okay-

I bet your heart was running pretty good after that.

How long till you're climbing again?

damn, dude. glad you're OK.

Simulclimbing 5.7 is pretty gay in itself. It reaks of, I think I'm rad, but I'm not quite that rad so I have this rope and I'm going to try to look rad.

Glad you survived.
    Last edited by Trackhead; 05-10-2009 at 08:37 AM.

God damn, glad you okay!
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

I had something similar happen once in Italy. I was on lead and there was a group above us that pulled off a wheelbarrow sized piece. I heard the yelling and the tumbling noise and looked up to find this giant rock coming quickly. I hunkered in as jumping wouldn't have really been a good idea, I was 25 feet or so from my last piece, and watched as it bounced about 6 feet to the right of me. No injury on my ordeal.

Good to hear you survived and weren't hurt too seriously! My biggest fear isn't myself, its other climbers.
    Last edited by brice618; 05-10-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: my grammar sucks.

I've been climbing out there for about 15 years and that exact spot you got clobbered is the scene of many accidents. There is a lot of loose rock up high and the features tend to funnel all of the rockfall to the start of the routes, right where climbers are hanging out. It's a bad place to hang out on weekends and an even worse place to climb behind other parties.